What’s your definite do NOT buy in 2020

Looks like my #1 “definite buy” will also be on my “definite do NOT buy” list due to tarriffs. More savings…

Wines where new issue retail is waaaay above where you can backfill recent or older vintages.

Or save half a ton and explore some new regions?
Which makes me wonder… if the tariffs come into effect and persist will there be price hikes in other regions? Maybe I’ll pose this in another thread.

Good question Richard, time will tell. I suspect other regions will opt for maintaining pricing, looking to increase market share. Wishful thinking?

This. The most egregious examples of this seem to be Bordeaux. The bargain of the decade seems to be 2014 BDX (when compared to 2015 onward). I also love that I can backfill 2010, 2005, and to some extent 2000 for less than or just slightly above new releases if I scour for bargains.

TW

Pretty much everything

Me too.

Anything with a lot of ABV is going to be off my list in 2020 and go-forward.

Canada FTW!

This is what I seem to saw every year, and then in February, March, April…

Was going to say the same thing, but it’s perpetually been out-of-reach. [swearing.gif]

I’m planning to drop several things this year:

Aubert
Maybach
Myriad
Rhys
Rivers-Marie
Scarecrow

These are all very fine producers, but this is my final step over the past several years to shift to predominantly European wines. If tariffs impact any of my buying, so be it…might be good to go on a “wine diet” in 2020!

My journey followed a similar trajectory. I dumped most of the mailing lists 5-10 years ago. It was difficult at first but became more liberating after about 18 months (3 releases). Enjoy your new-found freedom!

Why, if I may ask ?

I’m not a balla. I have 2005-2013. The price has gotten higher than I am willing to pay.

Wagner family wines

I assume you did not buy this year or last either!

any red that requires aging…I am in process of drinking down my cellar and am already well aged. am drinking down my stash of the big reds and not replacing them.

Thanks for sharing. My thoughts on this:

1. Bartolo Mascarello Barolo price in secondary market is higher than it used to be.
  2. Bartolo Mascarello Barolo is a great wine, with very limited production quantity. Price will probably get even higher since Maria-Teresa will not increase quantities.
    3 . I have tasted in the winery 2015 and 2016 vintages - great wines.

Me too, sadly…

What if you win the lottery in 2020? If you would buy DRC if you win the lottery (likely my first purchase would be a bottle of Romanee Conti) then this is NOT on a definite do NOT buy category. neener

My definite do not buys include:

SQN
Cardinale (well, probably anything from Jackson Family Estates)
GG (well, probably anything trocken)
Lascombes
Troplong Mondot