What’s that last wine you will not drop despite price run-ups?

Last one I would drop is likely to be my pycm allocation as he shows no sign of being silly re prices, despite having far more reason than most to be so.

This is kind of like asking, “Which of the current wines you buy do you think represents the best value?”
Of course, the question as I put it focuses more on %price increase, whereas the question as Robert posted it focuses more on hard number of pricing units increase. But, then Robert muddied the waters by citing a couple examples that he expressed in terms of %increase. I think both approaches have merit and interest. I’ll play.

Baudry likely has a way to go before I drop it. Like Ribert, I would probably tolerate pricing at 2x to 2.5x current pricing.

I would buy Prum at 2x current pricing, probably.
Cantemerle at nearly 2x.
I would probably hang-on to Foillard’s Cote du Py up to $50.
Pepiere.
GPL.
Leoville Barton.

I’ll stop there. I’m such a vagabond win that I move quite easily from one wine of interest to another; what is too expensive one day might not be another …

No wine is above my price tolerance.

The kernel! [cheers.gif]

None. They say every man has his price and it wouldn’t take all that much to knock me out of the loop. For you trust-fund babies and corporate-country lawyer types swinging in the dough you can buy all the Allemand you want…I’m out.

None. There are substitutes for virtually any wine (with the one caveat below). If Prum goes up in price, I would buy more Selbach, or Schloss Lieser or Haart. Etc., etc., etc. Ramonet goes up in price (and I rarely buy this in the US anyway) and I would buy more Bernard Moreau.

Frankly, at my age I am cutting back wine purchases anyway.

The only winery in my cellar without a comparable substitute are my Truchots and I have a whole bunch and he does not make wine anymore anyway so I cannot buy more even if I wanted to do so.

Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre. I’m priced out of the GCs but still buy the MdT and will continue to do so.

This. There is no bound on the upper price in the question.

But playing along and since there can be only one—probably Huet Le Mont Demi-Sec.

Happy Anniversary! My wife is an incredible companion as well - 31 years.

The comfort of familiar reliability. An oasis in a sea of change. I get that. Same wine, same food doesn’t satisfy that need for me. The closest thing to wine satisfying a comfortable familiarity is knowing where everything is in the cellar.

My morning routine, my office clothes, the OR routine, those were my oasis. The stress of constant change has melted away since retiring from clinical practice and making my own schedule as a part-time consultant. At first you find other things to worry about. Then you realize that most of it is insignificant and was just filling the vacuum left behind by the absence of a constant stream of exhilarating but stressful patients with new and unusual problems, staff with old problems, new regulations, software updates, insurance hassles, blah, blah, blah. Took about 6 months to learn to let go, but I may be a slow learner.

None. Though some would need to get higher than others.

Screaming Eagle - if I’m ever offered it in my lifetime .

To be honest, none. I have stopped buying so many wines and producers it really is not a huge deal anymore. I always find stuff I enjoy and variety is the spice of life.

The OP question was what is the last wine you would drop allowing each person to define whatever that threshold as you see fit but forcing a choice about what producer/wine is your most beloved.

Mine is clearly Mugneret-Gibourg and if I had to choose one wine, it would be the Chambolle Feusselottes. I’ve been buying this wine for as long as I’ve been buying wine and a recent 1996, that was a splurge as a graduate student, was magnificent.

I’ll eventually be priced out the timing of that depending on the trajectory.

I think I have aged out of more wines than priced out. Montrose is a perfect example! Needs. So. Much. Time.

I think I’ll keep going in the hope that at least one of my daughters gets into wine. Being able to drink wines as a young man that I wouldn’t afforded on my own with my dad was an amazing experience. If the cellar is full and neither show interest, that’s probably when I’ll stop.

I agree with this in principle, in fact I’d go lower down to $100, but it is starting to look like all Burgundy premier and grand crus made by producers with any reputation and all Bordeaux Super Seconds (and right bank equivalents) will eventually cross the $150 line. Things are well advanced toward that point, we have seen another big upward lurch in prices over the last year or so, and my guess is that by the 2020s all of those wines will routinely be $150 and up. It’s really a shame, this is prohibitive pricing. Glad I started collecting before that happens.

There is always another good wine.

Is the question what’s the last wine we would drop. Or the last wine we wouldn’t. Because I’m confused.

Maybe Chateau Musar Rouge for me. I’ve been buying since the 1995 vintage. I still think it’s easily worth twice the release price, and the wine is very special to me. Looking at what has happened to pricing of back vintages, I won’t be surprised if the new releases continue to climb as well. There is always another good or even great wine, but nothing else is Musar.

Keller GGs. I’m sure there’s a price at which even those would stop, but we’d give up a lot of other things first.