What Piedmont Vintages Are You Backfilling?

I am actually happy that I have a decent amount of 2007. It tastes good now!

A lot of good suggestions above…

Taking into account availability / price / drinking pleasure right now, I’d be looking at 2004 (fantastic vintage, drinking reasonably well, not that hard to find and cheaper than 99 and older), 2007 (warm vintage, but some producers like Vietti made excellent wine, relatively good value), 2008 (similar to 2004 in quality, but needs more time; if you don’t mind your Nebbiolo on the younger side, it’s a good choice), and 2011 (reasonable priced and approachable, although not my favorite vintage).

I’m also going big on 2014, but have been backfilling 2014s as they have been quite available, good quality, and reasonably priced. Although not for drinking right now, IMO.

^completely this. I never open an 07 expecting a classical Barolo/Barbaresco, but they sure can be tasty and enjoyable. If I want something to drink now, I’m happy to buy or open an 07

2013s that I had a few years ago were stunning wines, but in many ways were less approachable on release than 2016s are now. The 2016s are just absolutely delicious and showy now. 2013s have since started to shut down, so I’m afraid to open any more for a while. But I think it will develop into an exceptional vintage with 10 more years.

For older vintages, I agree with others here: '01, '04, '06, '08, and '11. I think the '08s I’ve tried have been spectacular with plenty of future potential, and the '11s have been just delicious in every way even now. Don’t have that much experience with 90s or early '00s to have a strong opinion.

Assuming earlier vintages aren’t available, I’m a big fan of 2012. Classic, terroir transparent, earlier drinking than 2010, 2013 and 2016; and a big step up from 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2014 IMHO.

I’m not backfilling.I’m buying a hell of a lot
2016 [cheers.gif]

When it comes to 2010 and 2011, it depends whether we are talking about Barolo, Barbaresco or Piedmont as a whole. 2011 was a lesser vintage in Barolo (quite hot there), but a great one in Barbaresco - although in some parts it got quite hot as well and those wines can be somewhat ponderous. However, in other parts of Piedmont, 2011 was a pretty great vintage. 2010 was a terrific vintage pretty much in all parts, but some producers in Barbaresco seemed to be even more successful in 2011 than in 2010.

And while 2014 was miserable elsewhere, they made some outstanding wines in Barbaresco. Definitely worth stocking up if one still comes across them.

But as a whole, I’d say 2012 rather than 2013 is overlooked. 2013 and 2016 were great (although 2016 seems to have been open for business from the get-go, while 2013 is slightly more tightly-wound) but I agree that 2012 made some classic, “less impressive” but nevertheless very rewarding wines. I agree that they might npt be as long-lived as 2010/2013/2016, but stylistically they are quite lovely right not and most will still continue to improve for a decade or so - the best even longer.

Agree with you completely on this. This was my first of three bottles of the Vajra so I was just checking in. I was surprised at how expressive it was and haven’t had that same experience with other 2013s. Probably the terroir of that vineyard more than anything.

I concur on the vintages.

As I recall, there was some problems in the village of Barbaresco itself in 2010, in the Rabaja and Asili vineyards, in particular – rain, hail or something. Hence, there are no Produttori crus in 2010 (because they bottle all crus or none).

It’s interesting to see some people focused on the “best” vintages while others are thinking about what you can drink now without having to buy old wines. I think 2000 is nice because you can drink them now. If Elio Grasso Ginestra is any indication, 2007 might be similar.

Oh, and you think the 2016s will be ready to drink in 10 years? [wow.gif]

Sure, unless it solidifies. neener

It is purely a matter of taste when a wine is ready to drink. I’ve had four decade old B&B and loved them. I’ve drank more 10 year old B&B than I can remember and loved them. I have never regretted opening any of them. Each one is it’s own story in time like a person.

That said, I also believe in decanting most Nebbiolo wines a minimum of four hours, preferably eight. I’ve had so many wines seem like shit in the morning and turn to joy by the evening.

2000 is drinking quite nicely right now.

Why not? Today’s B&B’s are not your grandfather’s B&B’s. Some drink well quite young, like 5-6 years but that is not the majority of them. Still, no harm to try some of them between 8-13 years of age.

For drinking now, I concur with posters that recommend 2005 and 2007. Neither are “classic” vintages, but almost every bottle I have tried from both vintages in the past two years has been accessible and appealing.

I wouldn’t say 2013 is an overlooked vintage. After 2010 it was the hyped vintage until 2016 came out. It had 3 years to sell and I’m sure most of the good stuff made in smaller quantities sold out long ago.

I appreciate and understand the replies here. I said that half-jokingly, because every wine is unique. I try not to open the potential long-term agers from this category when they might be shut down. That said, I’ve had some of those wines at exactly the age that I would not open one of my own bottles to find a really beautiful experience, so I get it. I’ll check in on just about anything that I have more than 2 of. 1-2 bottles and I’m waiting a lot longer than 10 years for a 2016 from Piedmont that I’ve bothered to cellar. YMMV, and I’m glad it does for some people, because some of the best experiences I’ve had with Barolo have been with wines that I would have thought were too young. I do still feel a lot more confident with waiting.

Doug,

Likewise, I fully understand your response. In the 1-3 bottle quantity, I agree with your approach. I merely disagree with the belief that Barolo is undrinkable under X number of years and that it is a waste and a tragedy to proceed to the contrary. In an earlier time in my life, B&B was much cheaper and less sought after. I also had a lot more wine budget. So I was able to drink it on a very regular basis and didn’t get stressed over opening a bottle “too early.” I even knew one guy who never cellared his Bruno Giacosa because he couldn’t resist drinking them all on release! He thought they were just too good to wait. And this was the “hard as rocks” 1996 vintage.

I opened a 82 Rinaldi the other night (wifes birthday and she was born in 81), very very nice wine, and it seemed to engender some bon sentiment.
Cant ask for more from a bottled beverage