What % of your cellar is Chablis?

70 bottles, 2.89%

Thank god for variety in tastes! If everyone was chasing Chablis, it would be even more difficult than it is to get.

14 bottles, less than .6%

I have been buying a bit of late from some new producers…seems to be exciting times in the Chablis area.

Cheers!
Marshall

Not high enough.

Just over 2.5%. Mostly Dauvissat & Fevre, with some Raveneau & L. Michel thrown in.

I have recently come to love the stuff. There wasn’t a voting option for “not enough”!

2.7% entirely Ravaneau, Dauvissat & Fevre. So far avoiding the premox curse. I love Chablis.

Brodie

49.2% or 318 bottles. I guess that means I like Chablis a little bit. Mostly Dauvissat (142), Fevre, Billaud-Simon and Louis Michel. Some Moreau, Dampt, Droin, Grossot and Savary.

Pre-Arrivals (6+ cases) mirror actual cellar composition except for no more Dauvissat post 2010 :frowning:

Chablis is such an amazing value, for my palate, with Montee de Tonnerre leading the pack.

I’m really surprised at the results here. IMO Chablis is one of the World’s great wine tastes, absolutely driven by its unique terroir. Over one-third here have no Chablis and about two-thirds less than 2%. I’d estimate I’m between 5-10% with a mix of the top houses - Raveneau, Dauvissat, Fevre and Billaud-Simon - and lesser domaines, eg Louis Michel, Servin, Picq, Patrick Puize etc.

Chablis is typically excellent QPR at the different levels and across the different producers. As an example, the excellent 2010 Servin Montee de Tonnerre I’m having with dinner is about half of the price of equivalent quality in a 2010 1er white Burgundy, I reckon. Perhaps the poll result helps explain the relative QPR?

Howard, I agree wholeheartedly. It’s one of the most distinctive, terroir-driven expressions of Chardonnay in the world and an unbeatable accompaniment to shellfish. I can only speculate as to the causes of its relative lack of popularity and concomitant lower pricing:

1. The premox issues
  2. Its lack of versatility at the dinner table: I rarely see it served with anything but shellfish and white fish
  3. Branding problems with the general public thanks to the jugs of mass market California “chablis” gracing the bottom shelf of many liquor stores (at least in the U.S).

Zero. Interesting how 37% of the participants are in the same category.

I am very surprised too. Terrific wines at great prices, even if you don’t plan to cellar them for long periods of time for fear of premox.

Surprisingly, as I’d guessed about 5%…10%, virtually all of which is from Vincent Dauvissat. I consider him the best white wine maker in Burgundy…maybe anywhere I know, but…

I try to never open one until after its 10th birthday…and usually succeed. A 2001 Chablis “La Forest”, opened Saturday night…and left in decanter…is singing beautifully this morning…shockingly. With brilliant Chablis structure and character. Much better than when first opened and aerated, too.

FWIW

Not enough, but I now buy White Burg and Chablis to drink vs cellar.

More and more. Chablis represents a far bigger bang for your buck than [other] white Burgs - and, frankly, most New World Chards too!

Somewhere over 100 bottles, majority Dauvissat back to about 2002. Aside from Fevre in the 2002-2004 range, fear of premox is way over stated–I’ve had very little non Fevre premox. Despite price increases, these wines remain remarkably high quality white wine that can be made nowhere else on earth and are still pretty affordable.

Chablis: a minefield of treasures.
Dauvissat Les Clos is at approx the same price as most Beaune 1er Cru (Puligny and Chassagne) mentioned here. I know what to choose…

Around 5% here too. Used to be 10%, but so much other stuff got in the way. I still find it one of the most refreshing whites, and still mostly very good value.

24 bottles out of 1,350.

Mostly Fevre and Dauvissat, but recently added Duplessis.

My wife and I love Chablis. I don’t have a lot on hand, but we go through it quickly, I’m always restocking, and we often order it in restaurants.