What lists are you dumping in 2012

PM John - make him figure out a way

Good idea.

For those of you on the Cabot list, what does that entail? Is it a wine club with automatic shipments, a wine club with customizable shipments, or just a true mailing list (like Rhys, ? What is the advantage – do you get discounts off the list price, or access to wines that aren’t available to the public? How much do you have to buy?

[So much for the idea of dumping mailing lists . . .]

Staying on…

Rhys
Kutch
SQN
Carlisle
Saxum

Out of all the rest. Sorry to see them go, but the costs have gone past where I’m comfortable when I started buying them. Saxum adn Kutch are teetering there too, but not quite yet.

Kris

Last year my Berserker Day order was lost and John responded they would ship after my waiting several months for an acknowledgement. I"m thinking, you could ask for this years Pinot six pack and they would sell one unless sold out. I am tempted, but I do not drink much pinot anymore and have too many wines to drink as it is. Do not let Cabot get so popular they raise the price. I love them and Swan just the way they are. [cheers.gif]

Chris, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Cabot wines and the people who produce them. I hate speaking only from memory, but as I recall you just send John or Kimberly an email asking to be included in the mailing list offers and then you get an email from time to time with an order form and description of the wines in a particular release. I do not believe you have to buy a minimum number of wines or buy some wines to have access to others. I think you get a 10% discount (or something like that) on an order of a case or more. Keep in mind, though, that even without a discount the wines are of such high quality relative to the prices that it seems like stealing when you order them.

One man’s opinion.

Dumping
Scarecrow–big possibility
Ovid–the audacity to raise prices 15 bucks (ok so I need a reason to drop some)
Sea Smoke–available locally retail for mailing list prices
Snowden–ditto (except LESS THAN mailing list prices)
Copain–love the wines, don’t love the marketing direction
Roar–no room or $
Lucia/Pisoni–ditto
Rudd–ditto

Keeping
Maison Ilan
Lewelling–I know the 07 was funky but the 08 is smokin’
Continuum–We love the wines and we love Carissa
Outpost–even if only for the PS
Schrader–duh
Cristom (club)–no brainer for me

Adding [snort.gif]
Arnot-Roberts
Hayfork
Epoch

Then I get to cherry-pick Saxum, Carlisle, Grammercy, Alban, Bedrock and a few others from friends

Not necessarily in 2012 but in the past year Ive dropped Copain, Windy Oaks, and Littorai. It was hard to drop windy oaks but with my first child in my life, Id rather spoil her silly and save for her college than drink wine.

As a parent of a seven-year-old girl, I think I understand how you feel. We are putty in their little hands. Congrats! [cheers.gif]

I decided to drop Williams Selyem, Denner, Turley, and Scarecrow within the last six months. Kept Littorai and Saxum. Added Carlisle (after what must have been a 3-4 year wait), Rhys, and Rivers Marie. Still need to open up one of these 2010 RM Sonoma Coast’s and see what the fuss is all about [cheers.gif]

Matt

Dropped over 20 domestic in last couple of years as my interest in CS (or at least as they are made today)and Syrah wanes, and my pinot focus narrows. This year, dropped a few more including

SE
Maybach

Still do select Pinots (Arc, Rhys, Kutch), and my stalwarts of Monty and Monte Bello in restrained quantity. And then there’s Burg, Alsace, Loire, Bojo…

yes jim left. very sorry to see that. ezra has taken wonderful care of me thus far, and nothing else seems to have changed.

I’m off all lists and miss not a one

Marcassin doesn’t ship to Maryland either. They are the only winery I know of (outside of Rochioli which you just stated) that hasn’t received their permit yet. Cayuse is holding my purchase as they finish up the paperwork. I’m trying to figure out how to contact Marcassin as if they don’t ship to MD…I’m out.

Re-igniting this thread for 2013. Now that the spring mailing spree is winding down, any lists you’re leaving? I’m still on Cakebread and Stag’s Leap from way back when I was a wine newbie. This these large producers will have to go as I make room for smaller production and frankly much better wines.

Others???

I am actually finding myself adding more than dumping.

Jaffurs has two clubs, a single vineyard syrah club which I am in and a club that sends you one of everything. I joined the second one as well, just to get more of the single vineyard offerings.

Just made it on the Alban list this Spring. So that’s staying.

I am cherry picking most of the other allocation lists I am on as the inventory in my basement grows.

I didn’t buy from Turley this year. You can find just about all you want retail.

Funny on Turley - I joined their waiting list months ago, and to your point, easy enough to buy Retail. I’ve been picking up some different stuff the past few weeks…Valdez, Gorman, Eric Kent, Relic, etc., and am moving more to 3-4 bottles here or there vs. the big club allotments that tend to take up a lot of my wine cabinet real estate.

In the last year I’ve stopped buying from Scarecrow, Maybach and Saxum. Only one I’m staying on is Schrader.

Haha, I’m a year late to seeing this. We have ways to assist you in receiving your wine in your home state… Don’t give up on great value wine for perceived logistics hassle! I still have good library of 2007 Virage, tasting killer with a couple hours in decanter. Club members (one case/yr, can mix red/rose) never pay shipping.