What is your favorite RED wine grape?

Agree. Lists should be presented in alphabetical order.

On the other hand, I think that the only difference in the results would have been some of the numbers. I don’t think the rankings would have changed much

What does surprise me a bit is that people have not only favorite and second favorite grapes, but, also, third favorite, fourth favorite, fifth favorite, sixth favorite, seventh favorite, eighth favorite, ninth favorite and tenth favorite red wine grapes.

:wink:

I disagree. No matter where you list Pinot Noir, for example, people will find it and choose it if its their favorite. There are lots and lots of red wine grapes past those I listed. With only having 20 options I could list, its entirely possible for folks to have closely admired 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th choices beyond their absolute favorite. Nebbiolo is a very very close 2nd for me behind Pinot Noir. Grenache is way down my list.

Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, and then Merlot.

Most of what I drink and cellar is Rhone blends, but I don’t think Grenache is my favourite grape. I chose Syrah but thought about Nebbiolo, Sangiovese and even Gamay.

These are all grapes I enjoy on their own.

Easily syrah with nebbiolo a close second (though I don’t buy nearly enough compared to #1 or 3) and cab sauv in third place.

Pinot Noir Looks to be the clear board favorite. At least so far.
I’m a little surprised that Syrah is ahead of Cabernet by a couple votes.
Kind of thought Nebbiolo would have a bigger following. I think it actually does but, if push comes to shove, and you can only choose one favorite, PN edges it out.

I enjoy pinot noir and drink more of it than other varietals, but not often with food. With food the order is Syrah, Cabernet then Zinfandel. But considering my diet, that’s not much of a surprise. Keever Syrah with Mac & Cheese last night. K Vintners Motor City Kitty with garlic spaghetti tonight around 10PM.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be the only one to say it but…Pinotage.

I find Syrah to be more consistent, year to year and place to place than Pinot. Even though PN may reach a higher stratosphere when the stars align, the blue collar man in me votes Syrah.

People like to perpetuate this cliche…“Nothing reaches the heights of Pinot Noir and no other grape is as disappointing.” Another common misconception is that PN is expensive. I think whether PN is the ultimate experience depends mostly on your personal preferences. There is nothing that makes PN superior to Cabernet or Syrah. Its just a matter of personal preference. Personally, I love PN because I’ve found a group of producers, mostly French, making PN in a style that is; authentic, ethereal, weightless, generally red fruited, aromatic and pure. For me, PN pairs well with the food I eat most often, which isn’t red meat. I very rarely ever hit a disapointing btl from my producers either. I continue to drink and enjoy Cabernet, Syrah, Zinfandel and many other red grapes but for whatever reason PN checks more preference boxes for me. Price need not be concern either. You can drink very very well if your buying and drinking Bourgogne level Burgs from producers like; Hubert Lignier, Chevillon, and Hudelot Noellat. I had a terrific 08 Hudelot Noellat Bourgogne recently for just $22. I’ve also found good value in lesser know Oregon PNs and many village level wines. If syrah is your first love, no problem. You’re in the company of many on this site according to the poll. I had a delicious $55 2010 Cornas last night with burgers from Guillaume Gilles and loved it too. PN is my first love and main holding at 30% of my cellar but, I’ll never stop buying and drinking; Nebbiolo, Cabernet, syrah, sangiovese, and many other red grapes.

Syrah. When done right it yields some of the most complex and interesting wines I drink.

1. Syrah
  2. Nebbiolo
  3. Zinfandel
  4. Cabernet Sauvignon
  5. Pinot
  6. Mourvedre

My epiphany wine was Ch. Canon over 40 years ago.

O.K. I’ll say it.

Merlot is still my favorite.

And I am SHOCKED at the showing for Merlot…Sideways silliness notwithstanding…

While I’m sure there are quite a few merlot fans given the love for right bank Bordeaux, the poll asked for each person’s favorite, not top 3. I’d drink a bottle of La Conseillante or Arrowood Reserve Merlot from the 1990’s any time, but it isn’t my first choice.

Roberto is outraged over Lambrusco being left off the list.

I like Mourvedre, really like Chateau Pradeaux, but we only got one choice and for me that is Burgundy (so Pinot Noir).

For a supposedly hard to sell wine, it is interesting to see Syrah at #2.

This board is not representative of hard core wine drinkers let alone wine consumers in general

But we’re the world’s largest and most active online wine community.