What is your #1 Favorite Region?

Well you left off the Nahe, which is my favorite region, and under no circumstances deserves to just be lumped into some lazy, not enough poll options Rhine category.

Deeply flawed poll. Sort of a Jay Cutler level of flawed. Perhaps A-Rod.

I see 2 of 93 votes cast for other and 1 vote for Spain. If there was a significant number of votes for either of those, then it would show need for revision of the poll, or a new different poll.

The poll is for favorite region. That’s not vague at all. Sure, the reasons can be all over the place. Different specific questions may yield different results. But this question asks our overall favorite, so we individually give varying weight to the things we value. Being a forum, we can discuss why in this thread.

Bad options lead to skewed results.

Roberto, I could easily tell you that, but a) we would first need to agree on a number of really boring things such as the exact definition of “truly great WHITES”, b) somehow I have the impression it wouldn’t really sway you anyway, so what’s the point :slight_smile:
I get your point about both the high volumes (although I don’t necessarily see how that is relevant for this discussion) and the high overall quality of output from what you refer to as the “Tre Venezie” and, believe me, you’d be hard put to find a greater fan of these wines in all their wonderful diversity than me. However, what you’re saying here is at best just a rhetorical figure and at worst a gross exaggeration.
There are certainly many more than just “a few” producers making top-notch white wines both in the regions you mention (by the way, Etna as a source of world-class whites, much as I love some of the wines, is by no means a given, to say the least) and elsewhere across Italy. Nor is it true that there are tons and tons of undisputed white wine masterpieces being produced in Friuli/Veneto/Trentini/Alto Adige: while nobody can deny that the average quality (especially in Alto Adige) is extremely high, the true peaks, much like elsewhere, are fewer than you seem to imply.
I sympathise with your proselytising: I like these regions very much myself and agree that they deserve to be better known.
But let’s keep it real, please :slight_smile:

Tvrtko, I have been keeping it real by introducing quantifiable FACTS including relative numbers of Tre Bicchieri winning wines and the fact that one THIRD of all wine made in Italy comes from just the Veneto.

And you must be joking about the paucity of highly regarded / highly sought after / highly allocated whites from especially Friuli (Miani, Schiopetto, Gravner, Kante, Zidarich, Vie di Romans, Venica, Drius, Borgo San Danielle, Franco Toros, Collavini, Marega, Le Vigne di Zamò, Doro Princic, Raccaro, Villa Russiz, Cole Duga, Livon, Keber, Felluga, Skerke and many more) but also AA and Soave, nno?

The relative mindshare of Toscana and Piemonte amongst a mostly American survey sample is due to many things including but not limited to the massive laziness of large distributors and ESPECIALLY Italian restaurants in the states to offer any truly representative survey of Enotria.

I voted for Burgundy but my top five would include Sonoma County/Sonoma Coast/Russian River Valley, Mosel in Germany, Rioja in Spain, and probably Oregon. Austria and Alsace might also be contenders although I don’t like ALL varieties of wines from those regions.

The government groups what together as one administrative area?

Triveneto/Tre Venezie is today predominantly a cultural and historical term, not really an administrative one, as far as I know. (Except when used quite loosely to refer to this territory as a component of what Italians refer to as the “Nord-Est”).

(Tre Venezie is a reference that predates the Venetian Empire, by the way: it harks back to what was known as the “Venetorum angulus” under the Emperor Augustus.)

I didn’t vote, as the results don’t really interest me and my favorite region isn’t represented (#20 is a poor option due to it’s wording). I’m happy for those that find this poll useful and educational. I sincerely mean that. Yet, for anyone that argues, and I paraphrase here, that 99.9% of wine drinkers could care less about the Veneto, as an example of a supposed obscure region, please remember the majority of those 99.9% drink/purchase the equivalent of $2 chuck. The idea of spending $20 on a bottle is not only a splurge, many can’t rationalize the expenditure. The board members here comprise a minute fraction of wine drinkers/purchases. We spend a lot more money per bottle than the average buyer. Generally, as we age and become wine literate, we tend to increase our purchase $ comfort zone, spending more per bottle. Personally, I’m more interested in what you all think of, for lack of a better example, Italy. In an only Italian poll, if only 3% vote outside of Tuscany and Piemonte, that would speak a lot more to me.

Tvrtko, there is a joint marketing consorzio which seems to be funded by some sort of regional government and is probably the source of stuff like this:

http://winewitandwisdomswe.com/swe-wine-maps/italy-wine-map/tre-venezie-italy-wine-map/

http://www.yupples.com/education/italian-wine/tre-venezie

http://www.chamberswines.com/img/producer/R/RFF/RFF130_07_fs.pdf

No, I’m not joking. And I never said there was a “paucity of highly regarded / highly sought after / highly allocated whites” from these areas. I said, and you can see that for yourself if you care to re-read my post, that there are fewer true peaks than you imply.
Your random list of producers from Friuli is, if anything, a perfect illustration of my point. Yes, sure, they are all, generally speaking, “good wineries”, but, from my perspective, your list is really a bit of a mixed bag. While there are a couple of producers there that we might agree on, personally, I find some of the others you mention entirely uninspiring for all kinds of different reasons and others yet are good or even very good, but hardly “world class” to me. On the other hand, you’ve managed to reel off well over a half of all living producers in Friuli but failed to mention any of my personal favourites :slight_smile:. How is that fair? :slight_smile:
So, just to come back to my point: very many good and very good wines there, some great, but not as many as you would have us believe.
Unless, of course, you genuinely believe that all the Friuli wineries you mention here are “world class”. In which case, as I already mentioned in my previous post, we have different definitions of “world class” and can simply agree to disagree :slight_smile:

No idea why you’re not happy with my explanation in the previous post, as I don’t see anything in these randomly googled-up links that actually contradicts what I said.

A joint marketing consorzio? Some sort of regional government? Probably?

Well, to quote a well-known pop band: “definitely, maybe” :slight_smile: champagne.gif

There is also now an IGT called “delle Venezie” which is plural and includes all of the Veneto, Friuli and Trentino but NOT Alto Adige:

And that list of cantine even wasn’t 5% of the “living winemakers in Friuli”. Pah-leeze…

Once again, WB strikes again. A simple poll that can be answered or ignored spirals out of control into a pedantic debate about how the poll was constructed and why it’s nothing but flawed.

Well it is flawed, without even bringing the Brett Favre issue into play.

While it is true that Burgundy is not “a grape,” it is just as wrong to assert that Burgundy encompasses Beaujolais. Bojo is not a part of Burgundy, except to a few lazy writers who lump the two regions of Burgundy and Beaujolais together and call it “Burgundy.” In fact, if Beaujolais were part of Burgundy, then Burgundy wine production would be three times the size that it is.

thank you

Here we go again… [wink.gif]

Flawed poll.
Sourthern and Northern Rhone should be one region (Rhone). Then you can add one of Roberto’s obscure regions (which will get his vote and no others) and I get a two-for-one on my favorite!!

kylemittskus: “Once again, WB strikes again. A simple poll that can be answered or ignored spirals out of control into a pedantic debate about how the poll was constructed and why it’s nothing but flawed.”

I’m with you on this Kyle. If you don’t like the way the poll is constructed, simply ignore it or post a short statement (it shouldn’t take more than three sentences) as to why you object to it and leave others to answer it if they choose.

The poll is fine. Not enlightening (all of the popular girls on this Board love Burgundy), but true.

Jane, my initial response:

VERY flawed poll: there is a LOT more to Italy than Toscana and Piemonte. Taken as a whole, the Tre Venezia (Friuli, Veneto, Trentino, Alto Adige) kicks ass on both of them. For diversity, Lombardia (Valtellina, Oltrepò Pavese, Franciacorta) also.

The rest flowed from explaining that in the context of others comments (often non fact based) on this.