What is Torrefaction?

When it comes to coffee, torrefaction usually refers to the roasting of coffee coated with a dusting of sugar.

I try, and I try, and I try, and I try, but I can’t get no torrefaction.

That’s the torrefacto coffee from Spain I mentioned earlier. I think most people who aren’t coffee geeks have ever heard of the style, let alone tasted it - unless they’ve visited Spain - so I doubt that most people would associate it with that particular style.

Torrefaction is just a general term for the roasting process, torrefacto is that burnt-sugar coffee.

New CT handle.
HeWhoMustNotBeNamed

Hasn’t Neal been banned yet?

Very appropriate for the Stones tour…He still can’t get no in his 70’s… [winner.gif]

Richard, he got flipped in Cali. Someone get to him quick. Maybe we can turn him into a triple agent. We’ll call him double owl 7.

I think people use the term as a positive or a negative. I generally think of it as a negative. Most likely, if I am picking it up in a wine I have purchased, it’d probably nearer a true flaw.

We had this particular wine in a flight of 12 syrahs and I would describe it as flawed from the perspective of off putting smells. Hardly anyone liked it including the host who had the tasting. It really stood out from all the others.

for me, since “torrefier” is the French word for roast, as in to roast coffee, I think of torrefaction as the noun for roasted and as a negative attribute for wine. I’m probably wrong.

I find the whole thing rather confusing, so I just say “coffee” if I get coffee in the wine, or “roasted” if I find roasted notes.

Agreed. But I think its use in the English translation of Peynaud’s The Taste of Wine, as I mentioned above, explains how it entered Anglophone wine tasting vocabulary.

I thought it somewhat ironic that AG trashed (maybe an overstatement, but certainly criticized) several Arietta wines because of “torrefaction” - while his partner ST (who supposedly popularized the use of the descriptor) is on record as loving the wines.

And indeed I thought of my dad when I read yours! Thanks. I had a very sweet and funny father.

Licensed to kill Spoof?

RT

RT good stuff there. Do you even need a license?

Maybe a Tesla?

RT

This is the definition from Vinous:

torrefaction
The smell or taste of freshly ground coffee beans. Often a signature of a wine that has been aged in new French oak or heavily toasted barrels.

All this discussion of torrefaction is making my empyreumatism flare up.

Better than priapism!