What is the point of new AVAs? - Interesting article.

This article has a somewhat different angle and a narrower focus (“sub”-appellations within Willamette Valley), but it’s an interesting counterpoint to the article linked in the OP.

Economic study: Wine appellations boost prices

That’s either poor reporting or a poorly thought out study, or both. Beginning the article with this

The study found that certain geographic regions within Oregon’s Willamette Valley saw statistically significant wine price premiums due to their federal designation as “American Viticultural Area” appellations.

and then putting this later in the article

Although a sub-AVA designation may boost prices higher than they’d rise based on quality alone, it’s also necessary for wines from the region to stand out, he said.

For example, the price-to-quality ratio for two sub-AVAs, Eola-Amity Hills and McMinnville, did not meaningfully surpass the rest of the Willamette Valley despite the designations, he found.

seems odd. The idea of “all other things being equal…” couldn’t possibly be true with the way they’re evaluating their data. The article takes some things that are almost certainly due to a number of other factors and reaches a very illogical conclusion that is contradicted by the same study being reported.

I can’t speak to the first three, but I’d say the Rocks is one of the only AVAs in the NW outside of the WV that actually DOES have a strong difference to its neighbors. I’d say in E WA (and that slice in NE Oregon is part of this) the wines character is largely determined by variety and winemaker more than specific site (I know I’m probably making a lot of enemies here!) but the Rocks in particular is fairly noticeable. In multiple recent blind tastings I and others have pretty much without fail picked Rocks wine out for what it was, across variety, whereas I’d probably be hard pressed to pick Snipes Mountain fruit from Walla Walla or Red Mountain fruit from even the same producer, even though WA wine is probably 85% of what I drink. Flame away! [truce.gif]

Jamie Goode’s Wine Blog
“Adding Appellations: Developing New GI’s and Why Conjunctive Labelling is Important”
January 19, 2018

↑↑Good read on the subject↑↑

I think that’s interesting, because personally as a consumer this is the best justification for AVAs. I really love the fact that I can pick up a bottle that says its a Pommard or a St Julien and have a fairly good idea what to expect, whereas even with well-known California AVAs you really have no idea. You could have a Napa Cab, a pinot, a zin, a merlot, a blend… it could be densely planted or not, dry farmed or irrigated, made in any style with any oak regimen from any grapes (assuming they are mostly Napa grapes). with how the AVA system works in this country, its no surprise so many people are intimidated by selecting a wine IMO. I have always hoped as the US gains experience and starts to see how different grapes perform in different areas we start to see a move towards a more European model (I’m sure we wont) because I think it is helpful with knowing what to expect from a wine.

EDIT: I guess I should add that I only mostly agree with my own thoughts on this. I also really enjoy the freedom that American winemakers have at this time. it is interesting to me to see Syrah grown in places only planted to pinot before, and two totally different styles of wine from the same place, and I think that’s true of most people on this board. but I also think this is one of those ways people on this board are different than the average wine buyer who is just trying to find a reliable region or producer or bottle of wine they like time after time.

Perhaps subjective to audience, but I disagree with this one included as meaningless. There is a clear identifiable characteristic that pervades a large portion of “Rocks” based syrahs, and (with no data to back it up) would guess that “Rocks” labeled wines are more marketable that standard walla walla valley labeled wines.

I also see a difference in Walla Walla vs. Columbia Valley- but of course Columbia Valley is a very very broad stroking brush.

I agree with your other inclusions, but of course, someone with more experience around the specific areas may disagree.

Edit: Just saw Bryan’s post and agree with him- other than I don’t drink mostly WA wine.

I’m skeptical about the value – to consumers or producers – of the more obscure AVAs. But they may be necessary in the coming battle of the intoxicants. It seems the cannabis industry is already gearing up to establish its own appellations:
california-mendocino-weed-appelations.jpg

[quote=“John Morris”]I’m skeptical about the value – to consumers or producers – of the more obscure AVAs. But they may be necessary in the coming battle of the intoxicants. It seems the cannabis industry is already gearing up to establish its own appellations:[quote]

I’m curious if anyone can provide any insight, but should we be expecting weed and vineyards to be competing for similar sites? my guess is cannabis would be grown on more fertile land than grapes? should we be expecting to get weed notes from vineyards grown close to cannabis plantations, like eucalyptus in Martha’s Vineyard?

“the attack is full of red fruit while the mid palate speaks to Dave Matthews Concerts in the summertime, with racy acidity and a smooth tannin structure…”

“And a strong skunky note on the nose …”

a perfect pairing with hot pockets, pizza bites, and sandwiches that have chicken tenders, French fries, and marinara sauce all on the same sandwich

This not a new AVA but, the Upper Mississippi River Valley AVA covering 29,914 square miles (77,477 square kilometers, or 19,144,960 acres),

insert picture of oprah here:
YOU GET AN AVA! AND YOU GET AN AVA! EVERYONE GETS AVAS!

There are less than 19,000,000 acres planted wine grapes worldwide, absurd AVA.

[welldone.gif]