What is the oldest white chateauneuf you have had, and how did it show?

1955 Chateau Rayas blanc, on two separate occasions at La Beaugraviere. One bottle was incredible, around 2008. The other a few years later tasted fine but a tad tired.

Had 1974 Pegau white at the Domaine, more than 5, less than 10 years ago. It was beautiful.

Excellent comment by Larry Schaffer about the texture. This was the best part of this. It wasn’t oxidized, but honeyed. I like older white wines far more than most, but I think this would have pleased most geeks. The color was medium gold, it had floral notes, very ripe pear flavors, it was nutty, it was subtle, IIRC Laurence had prepared a seafood stew as an app and the match was perfect.

Which reminds me, I have a 2010 Roussanne from a grower I represent in my wine fridge. Think I’ll pencil it in for next week.

Dan Kravitz

My general (with a few exceptions) opinion about aging white Chateauneuf is “at least it can’t get any worse”.

I take it you are not a fan of the wines? That’s too bad, but everybody has their prejudices.

Had a magnum of 2006 Vieux Telegraphe Blanc a couple of months ago that would probably have changed your mind champagne.gif .

Showing well ; no trace of oxidation, but a little simple.
After fifteen minutes became far more interesting, notes of apricot, honey and honeysuckle.
5EB305B2-3576-47A1-85D4-C3BA5AE556BF.jpeg