What is the greatest Riesling vineyard?

Indeed, I’ve had some great wines from von Hovel as well as Bischöfliche (the '83 Auslese is one of the greatest wines I have had), Kesselstatt, and more recently Van Volxem as well. All IMO reliably brilliant providing you wait long enough…

Good question. It may indeed be that it is the best plot in Rosacker though as I have not tasted all the plots comparatively (or indeed at all) I can’t give a more informed opinion on this. The reason for putting Hune specifically rather than Rosacker is because the Clos exhibits a degree of consistency that I don’t think the GC as a whole always lives up to. Also, the latter isn’t strictly speaking a purely Riesling vineyard, with a fair bit of Gewurz and Pinot Gris planted as well, though I guess that probably doesn’t matter one way or the other…

Yes. I forgot von Volxem. Even 2000 (spatlese) a few months ago was delicious and very Scharzhofberg.

Undoubtedly great.

Why aren’t Brunnenhauschen & Morstein on the list too??

I have to say I love these discussions and the learning that happens for me. I have had some genuinely amazing rieslings from Germany, but for my money I look to the Wachau for the greatest (to my palate) rieslings. Kellerberg gets a lot of press and is very good especially quite aged. But for my daily drinking and even many special occasions I prefer Achleiten. Something about the compacted stone makes a minerality and fruitiness that just touches my soul. I have never had 40 year old German riesling but have had 40 year old Wachau riesling a few times. Some may leave their heart in San Francisco, for me it was the Wachau.

Very cool thread!

Some serious heavy-hitters posting.

Sorry, but it´s still kind of apples-oranges …

Even von Schubert cannot (IMHO) produce dry Rieslings on the quality level of (let´s say) Clos Ste.Hune, Kellerberg/Steinertal etc. - while an off-dry Steinertal isn´t the same as a Ruwer Riesling with RS …
simply an issue of latitude, acidity and sugar level etc. … and yes → different terroir …

So a question “greatest vineyard for off-dry Riesling” would make sense … but not this way …

So many choices, so many correct answers, depending on your preferences. Kudos to Gerhard for his thoughtful responses, as well as Howard and Alan for their viewpoints.

For me it would be difficult, if not impossible, to pick a monopole if for no other reason it is not possible to see how other winemakers would express the vineyard. My heart lies in the M-S-R, The abbreviation that
is now out of fashion to use. Yes, Wehlener Sonnenuhr is a great vineyard, but which part? It is far to large to choose, same for Rosacker and to a lesser degree Brauneberg Juffer Sonnenuhr. How can one not choose Hermannshohle? The Donnhoff’s are masters of every vineyard they own. Erbacher Marcobrunn is my choice. For over a 100+ years, though a range of owners, even the absentee ones, winemakers and growers it has consistently made excellent wines in all styles.
Cheers, Dale [cheers.gif]

Great choice! An excellent vineyard that has produced some truly great wines with remarkable consistency. A Schloss Reinhartshausen '83 Kabinett I had a few months ago was sublime!

Wish I had more experience with aged Austrian rieslings. Though I would almost always opt for a glass of well aged Spätlese over a anything dryer (or younger), I have had one or two eye-opening experiences with the latter from Austria…

Aside from personal preferences the Berncasteler Doctor has been the plot with the historically (centuries ago) highest prices paid for wines made from there

No doubt, most people would agree with your opinion. But I must say that Grünhaus has produced some excellent dry Rieslings.

In the late 19th century, Mosel wine was fashionable for being light, brisk, and dry.

The 3.2-ha Bernkasteler Doctor vineyard (which includes many different plots) first achieved such high prices at the turn of the last century.

I’m partial to Urziger Wurzgarten in the Mosel and Klaus in the Wachau.

I find the nearby Achleiten one of the greats and better than the Klaus.

Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr
Johannisberg

Lars, years ago I saw a map, where Herrenberg and Abtsberg were switched. Do you know more?

That sounds like a mistake. On the 1873 stone gate located at the foot of Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg is the inscription “Maximiner-Grünhäuser-Herrenberg.” Back then, this or “Maximiner-Grünhäuser” was the name of the wines from the present-day Abtsberg.

Well,
interesting topic to discuss …

Singerriedel and Kellerberg are usually considered as the two best (for Riesling), with Achleiten, Schütt and Klaus close seconds … but there are many other good sites …

Maybe two centuries ago, Brauneberger had a higher reputation than Wehlener.

There are vineyards that always had a great reputation, the Scharzhofberger, Heiligenstein, Johannisberg.

Singerriedel and Kellerberg are usually considered as the two best (for Riesling), with Achleiten, Schütt and Klaus close seconds

This was my understanding as well in Wachau.