What is the deal with the 2014 Chidaine wines?

Just IMO, but I wouldn’t write off Chidaine because of '14 - I’ve had numerous '15’s and 16’s that were anywhere from solid to delicious. But I would agree with Jeff Vaughan’s assessment that for whatever reason, the 14’s have really been hit or miss.

I purchased 2 cases of 14’s and I have been through 16 bottles. It has been a 25% success ratio which is beyond absurd. The wines are not expensive so that certainly helps cushion the blow, but I’m done buying these wines. My palate has shifted to champagne, so I’ll spend my money there.

I opened a Clos du Breuil last week. Completely oxidized. From 2014, I am down to just a couple Clos Baudoin. So far, they have been fine. I’m not sure what happened with 2014, but I would love to know what the issue was. Hopefully, they know at the winery.

I’ll join the chorus here and say that 2014 was definitely an off vintage for Chidaine. I liked them immediately upon release but felt they very quickly lost their initial verve and just seemed more flat and listless with each successive bottle (and I’ve had about a dozen from across their lineup). The exception was the Clos Baudoin, which has held up well for me. I suppose it isn’t surprising given that it’s typically the wine with the most staying power in their portfolio.

I’m pretty sure I worked at your big law firm early in my career.

I opened a 2014 Baudoin last night. It was not pristine. So frustrating. One bottle left and I won’t wait long.

That sucks to hear. What annoys me more than anything is that basically nobody outside of amateur tasters has acknowledged the problem. Most retailers I’ve spoken to claim to be unaware of the issue. I stayed away for a couple years but am now dipping my toes back in with 17s and 18s because I missed the wines. But if it happens again then I’m out.

I have 2 Bouchet and 3 Choisilles from 2014, bought “opportunistically” because I typically just buy the Habert and leave it at that, but I somehow missed the Habert in '14 and grabbed some of these others before I found this thread. Some “opportunity,” eh?

Clearly, I need to try at least one so I just put two Choissilles in the fridge on the assumption that at least the first one will go down the sink. I’ll report back. I hope these issues don’t start appearing in '10s, '11s, '15s, and '17s, which are the other vintages I’m long (for me) on Chidaine.

Dave, my last 08’s and 10’s were fantastic. I didn’t buy any 11’s. I may drink a 15 side by side with my last 14 Baudoin.

2014 Choissilles - Pop and pour straight from the fridge - yellow/gold, not deep gold or gold/brown. No oxidative notes on the nose or the palate. Not super expressive yet, but needs to warm up for a few minutes before I return to it. Cautiously optimistic!

Update - I’ll call this one a success. Too young, really, but certainly not flawed in any way. Now, because of this I’ll sit on my others and they’ll be drain cleaner when I open them.

And so it goes.

Second update - put half the bottle back in the fridge and had it with dinner. Much more open now, overall a terrific bottle. Hopefully not the only good one in my ‘14 stash!

Is it just the '14s? I only have a couple of bottles of his sparkler from 14 left but have a bunch of '15s across the spectrum.

Rob, I have not had the same issue with the 15s. Opened a '15 Habert last June and still super fresh.

As long I’m over-posting in this thread, I want to take this time to thank the anonymous (to me) young somm at Commander’s Palace who turned me on to Chidaine (via the Habert, don’t remember the vintage) several years ago when I told her I liked Huet demi-sec and was looking for something like that to go with dinner with my wife and daughters. She professed a great love for off-dry Chenin and sent me straight to Montluis. Well done, and thank you! [cheers.gif]

(Need a white wine version of that emoji)

I’ve been trying to work my way through my '14s and “work” has been an accurate description in most cases. But tonight I actually hit on a solid Les Argile. Not a great wine but definitely not premoxed either.

A 2014 Clos du Breuil last week was drinking well. I described it as being in late middle youth. A 2002 Huet Le Mont Sec was of course more mature but much better. Most of my Chidaine experience has been that it doesn’t excite or age and evolve like Huet or Foreau, but of course not many wines do.

Sorry for the delay in reply, but it’s always worth acknowledging this joke. I was always told that my name guaranteed I become a lawyer, but alas, it wasn’t to be. However, I did become a consultant, so I suppose the joke did become my destiny! :slight_smile:

Bill

Very disappointing to read this. I thought his 2011 les Bournais was terrific, and a bargain too. I could drink that stuff all year and be happy.

Chidaine, Clos du Breuil, 2014:

It feels a bit churlish to say, but this is gorgeous. Nose of wax, honey with a sort of (non oak) vanilla edge, white flowers, and some stony aromatics. On the palate, a very typical combination of pit fruit and citrus pith, an intense mineral streak, and a hard-to-describe herbal background note. Plenty of acidity and good length. Good integration of the diverse flavors, with tension and nice texture.

Visually, aromatically, and on the palate this bottle is middle-aged. Clearly not a new release (with a bit of darkening), but nowhere near pull-your-hair-out territory. In fact, might be at or near the sweet spot. I’m glad I caught it now.