What is the best wine from the 1970 vintage?

Domaine de Chevalier and Pichon Lalande both sleepers.

As mostly noted above:

Totally agree on Rioja/Ribera. Unico, Ygay, and Lopez de Heredia are all great.

'70 Palmer is out of this world, the wine that made me realize that I like Bordeaux, even though I still don’t believe it.

CA cabs can be great in 1970 too.

Cheers,
-Robert

recently tried Latour, Leoville Barton, LLC, and LMHB. LMHB was easily the best of the bunch.

Cuatro on this one - 1970 Unico hands down!

latour, Palmer, Haut Brion, Taylor, Sterling Private Reserve

Latour (last week with Bipin Desai the 70 Latour was great), Fonseca, Graham’s, Heitz Martha’s (also with Bipin was also good but not up to the Latour)

'70 Unico, imho above Martha’s and BV.

As already stated:

CA: BV GDL (had twice in last 2 years, both excellent, both came from cellars of original purchasers)
Port: Taylor and Fonseca - xChateau being best, Grahams and Dows slightly next tier. I haven’t had it yet but do have some single vintage colheita from 70.

One not mentioned that I enjoy (though not in the class of Palmer and Latour) is Ducru Beaucaillou. Might be relatively more reasonably priced.

I haven’t had that many but the one that stands out for me is La Conseillante.

Last year, I was at a vertical tasting of every vintage of Dom Perignon from 1961 to 2002. 1970 Cristal was served afterwards, and blew them all out of the water. We had also had a Cristal vertical a couple weeks before this that featured 1996,1979 etc and we had two bottles of 1964 at the same time as the 1970. But the 1970 beat them all, truly mindblowing champagne.

Fonseca and Niepoort vintage Ports both stunningly elegant and drinking perfectly now

Some pleasant encounters :
Margaux Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre 1970
Jurançon Clos Joliette 1970 (dry)
J.J. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr beerenauslese 1970
Savennières Coulée de Serrant 1970

Another vote for Taylor.

Born in '70 and collected many listed above.
I don’t know anybody who has tasted the Unico and not rated it the finest wine they’ve had from the vintage.

Latour
Petrus
Unico

Another vote for Vega Sicilia Unico. I would be very mindful of 70 Bordeaux sourced in the US because heat damage from careless shipping and handling is fairly likely.

Amazing response to my question. The Board really came through. I`m on the hunt for Latour and other Bordeaux, Port, Champagne and Vega Sicilia.
Thanks to all.

Love the Latour and Palmer.
Another good 'un is the Latour A Pomerol.

TTT

I agree with others that Unico is hard to beat. In Bordeaux, Latour and Haut-Brion are the best choices among first growths, and La Mission Haut-Brion is pretty much their equal. Palmer and Trotanoy are excellent as well.

One wine not mentioned yet is Musar. 1970 is probably my favorite vintage and should still be very good.