What is the best single bottle of PORT you've had in 2011?

I’m worse. I think I’ve only had one tiny glass of port this year, somewhere over the Pacific. Graham’s 2005 LBV, possibly.

Glad to hear about that Dow 94. I think I have three half bottles, which at my current rate of consumption should be a lifetime supply.

I am going to respond once and once only.

From what I now understand, you are now accusing me of attacking you in another thread, and the reason for that is not because you are an illiterate jackass, but because I am a friend of Roy’s.

I hate to tell you this, but

1. I was not aware of your argument with Roy, but from your own description, it sounds absolutely consistent with the way you have been conducting yourself in the other thread. Vicious, nasty, and incoherent.
  2. I have known Roy for years. Those who know him will realize that he is pretty special, and I am sure he was a lot more patient with your bs than I would have been.

Back on topic, Jay Miller brought a 1966 Warre’s to BerserkerFest Saturday at PDH which was just gorgeous, and reminded me that I do need to pop some old port once in a while.

1983 Dow

Hey mods, you kind of left Mark hanging here.

I haven’t had any port since the end of last winter, but my recollection is a 1985 Graham’s

I know, and well done. Just makes Mark looks like he’stalking to spectres

I agree with the comment on Jay Miller’s port, which was outstanding. I am not a big fan of Warre’s but that one was just right, with even a bit of tannin left indicating that it had room to grow. It might have been the best, but by the time I had it, my taste buds may have been unreliable.

The 1951 Offley Porto Barrão de Forrester Colheita is my alternate, but I’m biased because it’s a birth year wine.

I should say 1983 Taylor just to get Roy going.

Jay, I thought the 1875 Madeira was your birthyear wine?

[stirthepothal.gif]

1970 Taylor’s. I have had a lot less Port this year though than previous ones.

Hey, no fair! I was about to mention that one.

But I’m glad people enjoyed it.

Thanks to Mark G. for watching my back. I won’t even comment on the Cumbria, UK guy who has been kicked off/banned from 4 wine Forums (2 USA and 2 UK) in the past 24 months due to his boorish behavior and thin skin. 'Nuf said. pileon

Jay, if you like 1951 you owe it to yourself to check out the Kopke Colheita from that year, as it is truly fantastic.

Lots of great Ports mentioned here. I realize that Port is not the most popular wine in the world and at best has been relegated to a small niche at this point. Coming at the end of all other wines in a typical evening of wine debauchery, it is easily overlooked. Others don’t like sweet. Driving laws make it more difficult to consider a 20% beverage at the end of a wine event. On and on. Yet there are still LOTS of people that love both Vintage (LBV too) and wood-aged beauties like Tawnies with an indication of age and especially Colheitas. Besides Madeira, they are the longest lived wines and hold up beautifully. I had 1812, 1827, 1857, 1900, 1900 a different one the following night, 1909 and 1924 … earlier this month over the course of a week, while in Portugal. Some were vintage and others Colheita and every one was still drinkable.

That said, few wines of considerable age offer greater value for money!

incorrect roy i have never been banned off 1 wine forum cite i resigned of yours though so kindly stop lying to people nuf said pileon
yes the kopke 70 is fab as well .
ps i dont live in cumbria stop lying to people

Now whereas I can’t stand up to the economics of all you big-hitters, MY best Port of the year, last year’s too I think, is the NV Noval Black, of Quinta do Noval. Some guy made a recommendation of the stuff, and funny thing was that my LWS made the first order of it in the U.S. (mine), and the rep didn’t even know about it.

Even more than other wines, Port is for sharing. Thank you for bringing it and offering me a taste.

1983 Niepoort Colheita

Nothing wrong with Noval Black. I think it is very solid and offers excellent QPR and it is one that I recommend often. Really tasty juice for the money!

Just had a 1994 Quinta do noval vintage Nacional that was by far the best I have ever had.

John,

I am not surprised. It is one of two Ports that I’ve ever given 100 points to, and one of only four wines in my life that I’ve given that score.

Agree, I’ve gone through over a case of this since it came out. Tasty stuff!

This was a tough call, as the 1900 Niepoort Colheita on two seperate occasions within a week were both stunning. But the nod by a slim margin was a barrel sample (750ml bottle) drawn the day before we had it of a 1900 Brunheda Colheita. They don’t sell Port except to other producers, but rarity aside, this was simply one of the best Ports I’ve ever had. Certainly in the top 10 of all times. I gave it 99 points FWIW.