What is the best regional BBQ?

True Texas style Q, while good (even very good), has one major, unforgivable flaw- no pork.

Don’t forget the folks that make BBQ hash, which is interesting- a little weird, but still good.

Yes, Rodney is from Waxahachie.

North Dakota.

Oh, wait.

Yup.

I agree that Tejas meats taste good, and that they’re not Q. No pig, no Q.

[winner.gif]

I love Texas BBQ but Where’s the Pork?

Yep, so many choices. I moved from SC to NC and it was like night and day. SC pulled pork with mustard based sauce is divine. NC has Western NC and Eastern NC…Eastern is the vinegar based and I love it (Lexington whole hog BBQ!). But if you do brisket well, you win my affection. I’ll be in Dallas in Sept and hope to get some good stuff. Though Slow’s BBQ in Detroit and Stoney’s BBQ in Easley, SC are the best briskets I’ve had. Stoney’s was out of this world. He just retired and closed down…sniff sniff.

Ribs…love them, and many styles and spots for them.

How the hell would anyone know anything about BBQ in Kansas City? I’ve even always tried to avoid flying over that city.

I agree with Scott here. Despite his proximity and association with the worst college in America, he obviously knows his BBQ. Any BBQ that doesn’t feature pork is an abomination. That whole mustard-based shit they serve in South Carolina is also an abomination, though infinitely better than beef BBQ. The holy grail is Eastern NC BBQ - vinegar based. Kepley’s in Thomasville, NC is my favorite, but if it is fro the Eastern half of the state, it is better than anything they serve anywhere else.

Having said that, one of my Alabama buddies had a big roast last summer, and he had some Northern Alabama white sauce which was actually surprisinglygood.

White sauce is gross. And borderline unnatural.

Pork rules. Memphis dry rub rocks.

WTF, Jay?

There is nothing much better than Sweatman’s in Holly Hill, SC. Mustard-based, but with some molasses in there. Probably my all-time fav.

Carolina BBQ goes best with beer, especially at any Hooter’s in Myrtle Beach.

Texas BBQ goes great with Flux by Mark Herold and Gamba Zin.

Can’t speak to the others.

I cannot remember the last time I went to a BBQ joint here in Texas that didn’t have pork. I really don’t know why everybody outside of the Republic of Texas says we don’t do pork here. [snort.gif]

Texas BBQ without pork ribs? Are you people delusional? Who’s spreading these lies? [swearing.gif]

What “Houston” do you live in? Can’t be the town that I remember just north of Galveston. Are you daft or just forgetful?

Go to Pappa’s or Luling City, or Goode Company and ask for a platter of pork ribs. See if they give you a blank stare or bring out something delicious.

Just to set the record straight - the three “pillars” of Texas BBQ are Beef Brisket, Sausage, and PORK RIBS.

North Dakota.

Dang it!!!

[winner.gif] I love all great BBQ’ed/Grilled (the elephant in the room in this thread!) beef, pork, chicken and lamb. If it comes off a fire and tastes great than it’s the best.

Meat …fire … smoke …
Trying hard to imagine a style I don’t like.

Korean?

neener