What is the actual clearing price for Napa Cab?

I think all of those things are at play, but I don’t think disposing of half of the wine is the normal outcome. A lot of folks just produce several wines, like Bordeaux second labels, or have some other way to sell bulk wine or shiners.

But compelling doesn’t just mean it’s great, it also implies consistency in quality and style. It’s fine for private labels / one-offs to vary, but if I thought the latest vintage SQN was light and delicate, I’d be in the car on my way to a COVID test the very next morning. It is hard to build a brand, period, but it’s even more so when you only get one time per year to make new product. It can take decades. Wine is inherently inconsistent to produce, which is beautiful for our soul and terrible for our lizard brains. People pay more for consistency, whether it’s the French Laundry or Olive Garden. All compounded by the facts that wine is expensive to taste, annoying or impossible to return, annoying or impossible to purchase in certain states, changes over time, is ruined by heat and cold, and top of it all, once a vintage is sold out, it’s obnoxious or expensive to find more of it. Unlike beanie babies, can’t make any more of it. On top of that, some folks wait 5-25 years to even pop their first bottle of a given vintage. Or, so I’ve heard.

Beyond that and the obvious stuff like conspicuous consumption, high quality wine doesn’t really endure the brutal price and quality competition of most goods. First of all, your competitors can’t scale to eat your lunch, like the iPhone can. And there is nowhere near the price pressure to beat the Toyota Camry (yet, I guess). “Tested in a 25 year cellaring trial at six different temperatures!” “Reliability 9/10!” “2oz pour generates as much owner satisfaction as 6 oz of the leading brand!” [wow.gif]

Maybe it’s something simpler. If I lived in one of the cradles of winemaking civilization back in 4000 BC, I’d probably value grape juice shoved into a dirty clay jar for months 100x more from the person I trust. Maybe we’ve just been working our way down from there and still have a bit to go.

13 Likes

Thanks so much; your last two posts were great: illuminating and fun to read!

1 Like

I don’t think the question makes any more sense than asking what the clearing price is of an airline seat. You can have six seats across the same row on the same flight each sold at a different price. (American Airlines pioneered the pricing models to do that back in the 80s.) Would anyone ask what the clearing price was? No, analysts look at some kind of average revenue per seat, factoring miles, I suppose.

Wine isn’t any different. Producers allocate their juice between the top prestige labels where they can command the greatest price; branded second labels that command a premium; “surplus” high quality juice they sell off with the suggestion that it’s the same as some fancy branded wine; and lesser lots that aren’t really premium.

So, what segment are you asking about? Or are you asking for an overall average (weighted by volume, perhaps)? I’m not sure any of these would be significant, even if you could calculate it.

Same, I’ve often said ‘ultimately in the final analysis it “costs” me zero for some guy to go walk around the golf course for four hours’ which people blanche at, but it’s true, BUT there’s so obviously bigger questions/issues.