What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

I was blaming myself, not the dish.

I didn’t get the final consistency right.

Yours was a perfect first world rich entitled guy solution, though. Very useful! [cheers.gif]

The normal family Christmas isn’t happening this year so instead doing something less formal for a few friends who didn’t have any plans. Putting together two different lasagnas. Never spent so much time for downsized meal as I spent 5 hours yesterday just on the rabbit ragu that will be used for the lasagna with meat.

We did holy grail upper prime tomahawk and mashed potatoes along with 08 dom and 16 myriad round pound, fantastic!

Flannery RibCap. No idea on wines yet.

Flannery Ca Reserve Tenderloin Roast, Red Wine Reduction
Duck Fat Asparagus with Sous Vide Carrots and Lardons
Cheesy Hasselback Potato Gratin

I have to do a Hipster wine so I pulled a 2012 Random Wine Co Petit Verdot, not sure what else I’ll be opening quite yet.

We celebrated last night (though are heading to some relatives of my son-in-law’s today) and it was superb.

Remember my son-in-law and my daughter are both chefs. When we were all discussing what to have, I said “gee, we haven’t had ham in a long time” and my daughter said “hmmm, I guess ham and cabbage is not really holiday food.” Now you have to know that a pot with a boiling ham, potatoes and cabbage was my childhood family’s favorite meal - ham falling apart tender, potatoes rough mashed with cabbage, butter and apple cider vinegar … just wonderful rustic food. So we laughed then I said actually …

…which led to my daughter promising “ham and cabbage but we’ll make it soigné” and they did. Delicious ham, cooked with cabbage charred first to give just the right touch of bitter to sweet, robuchon potatoes hand whipped, and an apple cider gastrique that was perfection. I brought a bottle of 2014 Tercero Outlier Gewurztramer … perfect match, perfect meal and definitely “soigné” chefs!

Oh, man. Now I want lasagna, tomahawk steak, ribcap, tenderloin, ham, potatoes, and cabbage!

My fortunes improved yesterday.

Goose turned out OK.

Gravy, taters, and steak to accompany…

Flannery Jorge…(actually cooked to 134 degrees, which is high, for me, but this cut seems to do better at slightly higher temps. We usually do 128-129 degrees for steak.)

Matched with various sparklers.

Clicquot ‘yellow/orange,’ Clicquot Grand Dame 2008 so my kids could compare, a 2008 Roederer Brut Nature Philippe Starck, so they could see how dosage affects things, and a Williams Selyem ‘Chapmagne’ to compare styles, as well.

Used the goose fat to prepare the potatoes. I often think duck/goose fat provide me the most pleasure via how creamy the insides of the potatoes get, rather than any specific flavor profile.

I suppose I should fly to Canada to really get an idea of how goose should taste, however. [cheers.gif]

Looks luscious Anton! wow!