What happened to Beringer Knights Valley cabernet?

Ian, I have not yet tasted the 2012, or the recently released 2013, although I own them. The 2010 I have tasted and did not strike me as you describe. I also have had the 2013 Beringer Winery Exclusive cab which I believe was from barrels earmarked for the PR but did not make the blend in the end, and I liked that wine a lot. And believe it will age. The PR cost? Yes, full price of $170 is goofy, but I thought the sale pricing (2012-$99) was reasonable. So, not to be argumentative, just not on the same page re: the cabernet. Chardonnay, yes. But have not yet tried the '12 cab, so, guess I need to.

+1 Ian, couldn’t agree more. Didn’t think about the Camus SS until you mentioned it but, yeah your are quite correct. The Chardonnay was way beyond disappointing. Worse that Rombauer for me. Just oak and no other taste. Like chewing on a barrel.

I finally got around to popping my only 99 Beringer ‘Reserve’ [Knights Valley]. I’ve had it over the last few days and the label states 14.1% abv with a few years of French oak with a 2002 release date. I picked it up from Hart Davis maybe a decade or so later, simply because I had not seen/tried one. It’s a bit bigger/better than the ubiquitous Costco KV base wine. I think they take maybe 1% of vineyard lots for the selection, which seems to be sold in different channels (mailing list, tasting room?) but I have seen it (recent vintages now) at the ultra exclusive* retailer Total Wine ($55 on the shelf). No bricking at the edges, lots of brambly black berry fruit here, and its very apparent as a Cali cab. Despite the age, there is hardly any sediment, so perhaps it was treated before bottling. Finish is long, at least 30-40 seconds. I’m not a fan of the clunky, blocky base KV - especially in modern vintages - but this older one is nice. I’m not sure if the price tags of $50 and 20 years are something I’d feel like paying again, but - to my surprise - I enjoyed this more than I expected. I’d slot it into that tough B+/A- zone. Maybe on the higher side if tasted blind. It really screams North Coast cab though.

• known for their access to Bryant Family wines, coupon eligible for those buying a case

Had a 2010 back in 2013 and was not impressed. I do remember these being good from the 90s.

Which ones? The Private Reserve has gone for a large lush profile that does not at all resemble the bordeaux esque wines of the 80s-90s. I still enjoy the 92-96s, which can be backfilled for a fairly reasonable price, but have been really disappointed by current styling.

4632476D-6854-441B-9EDA-304B851F903C.jpeg

Nice one, wish I had some left. FWIW, the 2016 is IMO the best one at least back to 2010, maybe more…but no 1991.

I bought ten bottles last year for $30 each, but am down to just three, having drunk one last week at Gramercy Tavern.

The newer vintages do not suit my palate or wallet. Too big.

It’s been our house cab for a while as Jen likes it and it’s not super pricey. Often buy it at the Treasury Wine Event, used to be around $18/bottle. Now that I know Macario Montoya makes Educated Guess, that’s likely to become the new house cab

Costco was discounting the 2015 Beringer Knights Valley for $21.99 with an in-store coupon last month. Tried a glass a few weeks ago and it was very,very sweet, and not at all like the KV’s from previous years.

Ed

Even the 1995 and 1996 vintages had begun to steer off course.

I thought the 2015 was OK, but nowhere near as good as earlier vintages. It has gone sweeter on the flavor profile as many CA wines have.

I have a replacement though… 18 a bottle…

What do you really expect from a large production corporate wine :wine_glass:? Honestly this is slightly North of plonk!

A191F750-FF3C-4E68-A876-25A9216ED29D.jpeg

Victor…you and I are on the same page regarding these early 90’s Beringer wines! LOVE them…still going strong, and huge qpr when you find them being dumped on WB! Picked up 4 bottles of the 94 Alluvium recently…$20! [highfive.gif]

[cheers.gif]

My experience as well. I was at Beringer in 1996 or 97 and picked up a few and they were quite good, but the last few times I had the current vintages over the past decade and a half, they have reminded me of supermarket shelf cabernet.