What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Seeing them all together makes me appreciate the newer labels so much more

2 Likes

FYI: Vinopolis Wine Shop in Portland, Oregon has a little over a case of the 2011 Matello Souris for sale.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Had the '09 Matello Souris last night. Quite nicely developed with a lovely balance. Not overly complex, but enjoyable and the bottle went down very quickly.

1 Like

You mean for the person who didn’t find enough wines to buy on BD14? :grimacing:

Like the case and a half of 13 mystery I bought :rofl:

1 Like

I love 13 Goodfellows. You’ll be happy with whatever you got in that box.

1 Like

I love the Matello labels. Would be cool if the jester makes an appearance on some future releases imo.

The 2008 Winter’s Hill Pinot Noir has a close-up sketch of the face of the jester.

-Al

2 Likes

Yes, the Matello label had two iterations that I’m aware of. The label in the photo above IIRC started with 2008 - at least for most of the wines, but obviously not all per your note. That close up label below was the label for all the pre-2008 wines.

3 Likes

Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 8.31.05 PM

3 Likes

Ha, me too!

I do still have a soft spot for the original label though…

3 Likes

Tried this last November. I was very impressed with the balanced as well. Concentrated fruit with plenty of earthy notes. Didn’t fall off at all on day two either.

1 Like

Opened the 2015 Heritage No. 5 a couple hours ago. Very happy I did. I always look at my Goodfellow Heritage bottles and think, well, I certainly would love to open that tonight, but it probably needs many many more years…

This is certainly a baby but delicious. Nose walks a fine line between yummy young fruit and a bright mineral beam…palate is crackling with character, depth and intensity. Tasty. Recommended.

8 Likes

Anyone else anxiously awaiting those BD magnums to come in?

6 Likes

Sure, but the beauty of having no idea what I’m getting is that I don’t have to track it as pending! :cheers:

3 Likes

I had massive anxiety about last year’s Goodfellow MC offer until it arrived and I could see what I got and log it into CT. :rofl:

3 Likes

A trio of Ribbon Ridge bottles this weekend. The Chardonnay was ready to rock right out of the gate, and I enjoyed it best on night 1. No reduction at all. I usually enjoy Marcus’s whites on day two, but this had more cut on the first night.

The contrast between the 2016 and 2017 Pinots was huge. The 2016 is very soft and more fruit-forward, integrated and harmonious but otherwise without real signs of age. It has some flesh on the bones for a Goodfellow as well.

From the nose to the finish, the 2017 showed more tension and spice - though it too was surprisingly expressive, whereas I felt the 17s were tightly coiled when younger. But the structure is evident and provides a very different drinking experience to the 16. That said, on night 1 I admit I wanted some more intensity from the 17. Loved everything there but it came across as a tad thin.

On night 2, the 17 definitely put on some weight while retaining the structure to support it. At the same time, the 16 showed a touch more savory characteristics on night 2 vs night 1, so in a way both wines converged a bit in character.

All three are excellent, compelling wines - to say nothing of a tremendous value. Really fun Side-by-side, and my wife and I both preferred the 2017, but I look forward to drinking the couple 16s I have left (this was my last 17 RR).

6 Likes

We’re packing boxes tomorrow and Tuesday, hoping to load up a cold chain shipment leaving the following Monday. To places where the local temperatures are not below freezing….

3 Likes

Drinking an 09 matello ribbon ridge tonight. Might as well be a premier cru volnay from burgundy. What a lovely wine. It still feels like there is so much life left on this wine. On pnp it was so concentrated i thought it was a new release. But with air it became profound. What a great wine!

4 Likes

Drinking the 2021 Pinot Blanc Franc de Pied. Waxy, citrus, struck match. Beautiful acid. Paired with Gruyere cheese. Fantastic.

5 Likes