What ever happened to seyval blanc?

Vermont.
A few wineries in Vermont are making a seyval blanc, some in a pet nat style.
Many wineries appear to have migrated away from the grape for their whites in favor of La Crescent and Frontenac Gris.

There some very nice stuff in southern oregon, Roseburg to be specific.

• 2015 Girardet Seyval Blanc Estate - USA, Oregon, Southern Oregon, Umpqua Valley (12/28/2017)
    Light yellow in color. Nose is supressed as I had this straight from the refrigerator. Some floral notes. Wow, this is a big acid wine, lime and citrus notes. Lean, low alcohol, and palate cleansing. Delicious. I would bet good money this was a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, it had that cool climate flare.

Posted from CellarTracker

Clermont, just outside of Hudson, NY, makes a dry Seyval. Or at least they did 2 years ago.

I really quite liked it- was not sold on any of their reds, but thought both the Seyval and the Aurore were lovely whites for the price. An unexpectedly enjoyable midpoint between Riesling and warm-climate Chard.

Good to know, as may be passing through Hudson in two weeks. Thanks.

At one point there were a few places in Northern Michigan that made a Seyval Blanc. Boskydel—a very quirky winery in Leelanau County made one, as well as a few other varietals mentioned here. That winery is gone now, and I don’t know if anyone up there makes Seyval now. I think Mawby, a sparkling producer uses vignoles in some cuvees still…but it’s all Riesling and Chard now besides that.

I’ve had that wine several times, and it’s very good. I thought it had a little more weight and richness than NZ sauv blanc, in a good way.

When I lived in NJ, so 16+ years ago, I enjoyed a Seyval from a Mercer County, NJ winery. The name escapes me but I recall somewhere outside of Princeton, possibly off of Rt. 206 in Montgomery?

Agree that Seyval Blanc has been reduced in importance due to climate change. There used to be a fair amount grown in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic US, as well as in England. Many of the NY/CT/MA Seyval Blanc were good food wines with local, more delicate fish or shellfish. This was actually one of the better French-American hybrids - far better than other white hybrids like Cayuga, Villard Blanc, Diamond, and Aurore in my opinion, not to mention the occasional dry Vidal. Seyval Blanc was always affordable, good for a weeknight dinner. These wines seemed to be more prevalent 10-20 years ago, although I saw a few bottles at local farmers’ markets in the 2010s.

The best Seyval Blanc I ever had was sparkling Seyval from Glenora Wine Cellars, which they do not appear to make anymore. Just checked out their website, and apart from a peach bubbly, their sparklers are all either made from Riesling or the major Champagne grapes.

Well John, I had a few of them recently.

Turns out it’s fairly popular in the Missouri wine country, much to my surprise. I always thought it was a northern grape as I’ve had it in Michigan, NY, and places in Canada.

It gets fairly ripe in Missouri and those I’ve had show a lot of tropical fruit aromas and that character carries through on the palate as well. They reminded me to some extent of a ripe style of Pinot Grigio. Depending on the producer, it’s dry, off dry, and sweet. Some producers make more than one version.

I have slogged through around a dozen or so and haven’t found a great one, but Röbller Vineyard does a version that’s not too bad. Noboleis does one, but it’s not as good, and Montelle also does one, but not quite as good. Then there are some semi-dry and uninspired versions from producers like Hermannhof, Puchta, Augusta, as well as plenty that I haven’t tried.

Are all of those in Missouri?

I had one last week at a winery in Vermont. Dry, light, crisp and fruity. Notes of lime and melon.

Yes sir.

A veritable hotbed of Seyval Blanc it is!

[cheers.gif]

And, how on earth, did you come to taste so many Missouri wines? Did the Missouri Wine Council somehow sense that you might be lone Californian who would appreciate a sampler case?

Really, this puts you in Tom Hill’s league.

I am skeptical that Greg has really tasted all those Missouri wines. He’ll have to show me some proof that he did it.

If anyone is ever in Hocking/Vinton County, Ohio, this is worth a stop:

i can only guess its just waiting for Morgan to find it in the field blend of some old vine vineyard in CA

Nose of cantelope and menthol. Great acid and a long finish.
3CE7CCF0-E8B5-45A0-8159-B2D46A155439.jpeg
BFDE3068-FE63-4773-B19C-306DF1C23B55.jpeg

FYI, I stopped by Clermont in August and picked up a bottle. There were no flaws, but neither was there any flavor interest. No crispness, no grassiness. Just a kind of generic white.