What does your Spouse or Significant Other drink with you?

Sadly, only a sip or two, despite having a good palate. Which means bottles tend to last 4-5 days in our house.

My wife likes Sauternes. Made the mistake of buying her an Yquem! She loved it.

My wife drinks most of the same wines that I enjoy, and she does not drink beer and will rarely have spirits.

For red wine, we both love Bordeaux, anything from Ridge, most California Cabs, and Tuscan wines. She likes Zin but less than me, and is not a big of fan of Port as I am. For whites, we both like Gruner and Riesling. She enjoys Champagne more than I do, so we buy splits and half-bottles more than full bottles.

Both of us tend to enjoy wine on the weekends, with an occasional glass during the week.

Nice topic!
Ed

My wife’s palate aligns with mine completely and, while she’ll never admit it, her palate is much better than mine (she always does better in blind tastings than I do). That being said, Riesling would rarely be her first choice but she likes them when we have them. We split a bottle with dinner every night.

My wife loves Zinfandel.
It’s a marriage made in heaven!

1 Like

we drink together and similar wines wow us.
I don’t think there is a category that I purchase that Kenny doesn’t enjoy

My SO likes a lot of what I like.

Some favorites of hers: old Olga Raffault Les Picasses, old Riesling, old Loire Chenin, good Cru Beaujolais (esp. Julien Sunier’s Regnie + Fleurie), '82 Pichon Lalande

In general, I like Bordeaux more than she does, and she likes younger/fresher wines more than I do (though I like some of those too), and she likes more new world wines than I do.

I like Jura, and oxidative white Rioja, and Musar’s Blanc, and those are perhaps not her favorites.

But the overlap is more than sufficient to make it all easy.

There’s nothing she likes that I don’t like, although she’s less oak-adverse than me.

Things I like that she doesn’t: Cab. Franc (but I’m working on getting her to come around); Sherry; Madeira; most oxidative whites; orange wines.

On our respective death beds, she would go with aged red Burgundy, whereas I would likely go with aged Left Bank Bdx… I don’t think she likes Chenin as much as I do, either, but she does like it.

Water - but the times I drink wine around my wife in a year can be counted on one hand

My wife actually converted me from a whiskey drinker to wine. Lots of zinfandel, some syrah and she loves Cabernet. She’s not the biggest fan of older wines, she likes them between young and secondary stages.

We’ve been wine tasting all over the world and so far, the only thing she didn’t care for was the riesling we opened this weekend.

Two-thirds of a glass of very good rose.

That’s it. It’s maddening.
[swoon.gif]

When I met Marlene, she knew little about wine and was ok with the cheap stuff. Unfortunately, I got her hooked into the good stuff and she now readily rejects anything “inferior” [swoon.gif] . She still does not know brands etc, but she know what she likes. So much for economizing.

My bride loves ripe but acidic driven chardonnay without too much new oak. So, recent vintage white burgundy, slightly more restrained CA chards, and OR chards with good weight.
She enjoys champagne but is good for 3/4 of a glass, which makes half bottles more appealing
She likes clean wines without oxidation and disdains VA and brett. Most natural wines and any with “funky” characteristics get the immediate thumbs down.
Napa>>Bordeaux in her book, but she can appreciate well aged wines, just likes the fruit more.
Her preferences have been remarkably consistent over the last few years

Yeah, mostly water. Sometimes wine, but it has to be crisp, non-chard, non-riesling white. non-toasty/briochey champagne. No reds. And she laughs at obsessing over a wine, or group of wines. It’s something to enjoy as a compliment to a meal, or a festive component of a social occasion, but that’s it. Go figure.

Interestingly, while she is a very independent minded and accomplished woman who dislikes having others make decisions for her, I always have to choose and order the wine for her when we go out.

I’m lucky in more than one way. My wife, Amy, matches my consumption, glass for glass, bottle for bottle. Luckily, our palates tend to mesh and over the course of years she has developed a pretty significant and opinionated wine habit. She might have difficulty in describing what she’s tasting, but her observations and conclusions are impeccable. Blind taste her, and she’s fully capable of besting me. And some of those observations are priceless…I remember about ten years ago, she advised me to “…please stop bringing home any more cheap Pinot Noirs.” I simply responded, “Yes, dear.”

My wife and children are drinking down my cellar, I am of that age, while I limit myself to Champagne and a growing bunker of bourbon. champagne.gif

Flawed poll. “or”?
No choice for BOTH spouse and significant other.

Oh, wait,…

Mine really isn’t into wine - if she does dabble, its typically an off-dry Riesling. She also seems to like Dom, but I haven’t had any luck with any other Champagnes.

Yes, my wife enjoys drinking wine, although not as much as I do!
It’s her preferred alcoholic beverage and its our main drink served. We usually drink 2-3 bottles of wine/week with meals. We will have disagreements about # of wine bottles opened for a party or dinner, though. My wife bristles when I’ve got 6 diff wines open during a party or 4 wines open on the table for dinner with another couple.

In general, she prefers whites to reds while I’m the opposite. For a light pork dish, she prefers a white, I lean red. With salmon- she loves Sauv Blanc, I want OR Pinot. But- our favorite whites and reds match up quite well. Her favorite varietal is Sauv Blanc, which is my favorite white. Her favorite reds are Cabs and Cab Blends which are my favorite wines- so there’s a lot of overlap to work with. If we’re having a nice, heavier meal, she wants a cab blend.

While her primary is Sauv Blanc, she enjoys Cab Sauv, cab blends, Red Zin. She likes mixing in bottles of lighter whites and Roses from all over- Viognier, Albarino, Vino Verde, Rousanne, Chenin; but usually wants a bit of crisp acidity. She sometimes prefers a structured Chard with crab legs/lobster or a great blanc sauce, otherwise doesn’t have much time for it. I go through 15 chardonnays a year and 2/3rds of them are for dinner guests. She’ll tolerate US pinots, to the point of enjoying some. She’s never liked a Burgundy or CdP, will sometimes enjoy a Syrah based CA Rhone, but almost never a predominantly Grenache one.

I think her palate is more refined than mine, I might know all the terms and can identify everything, but I think she often tastes more nuance in wine than I do. I’m convinced she’d be a super-taster if she had the inclination; she’s got the most discerning sense of smell of anyone I’ve ever met.

My wife loves champagne, drinks CA chardonnay regularly and likes rose’ in the summer.

Red wine gives her a headache.

My preference is for zinfandel, CA cabernet and pinot noir. She would drink these with me if she could.

However, I’m left to fend for myself with reds.