What do you suggest I bring to dinner?

Listen to the man. A nice bottle of champagne would be perfect.

I beg your pardon? Cinnamon takes a back seat to no Bobka. People love cinnamon. It should be on tables at restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime anyone says, “Oh This is so good. What’s in it?” The answer invariably comes back, Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Again and again. Lesser Bobka - I think not.

Lots of other good wine advice, just wanted to get this in the record.

Do not bring wine. Arrive with rare meats, pastries, smokes, and such.

Jameson Caskmates Whiskey is excellent before or after dinner.

Jameson Caskmates is aged in craft stout-seasoned oak barrels for a truly original finish.

a proper Sherry

You are being accurate rather than referential.

To be entirely accurate the best babka in the world is the whiskey pecan babka at Arcade Bakery but it’s logistically almost impossible to acquire.

Not entirely accurate when it is referred to as Bobka.

A lot of people who like fine wine also like fine coffee. Why not bring a gift box with 2-3 pounds of nice coffee – maybe some Kona, some Jamaican Blue Mountain, and some microlot from elsewhere?

Agree with the chorus, a non-wine gift will be better appreciated. Cured meats, great cheeses, nuts, Cuban cigars, potted flowers, whatever.

Or if you want to bring wine, probably go with a good vintage Champagne. Most wine lovers appreciate that and don’t usually have a lot of it in storage.

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions. I ended up conferring with the host and he wanted me to bring some starters and a Cali viognier (Alban Estate) he was curious about for the end of the meal/night.

Ended up bringing a few platters with an assortment of cheeses, charcuterie, bread, crackers, fresh and dried fruits, various nuts etc. All things that would go well with various wines. We had them with a magnum of champagne he wanted to open. Then came the glorious Bordeaux! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input folks! And the Seinfeld reference!

Glad to see that you had a great evening, Barry!!

Tell us about the Bordeauxs

I’ll just go through the lineup with you then. In order we had…

Billecart Salmon Brut Rose (Magnum - with our starter plates)
2009 Le Plus de La Fleur de Boüard
2009 Chateau Grand Mayne
1995 Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou
2005 Chateau Lynch-Bages
2014 Alban Estate Viognier (with dessert and cheese course)

I cannot pick favorites, but will say I didn’t care much for the Grand Mayne, and the Ducru a bit more tannic and had a sanguine quality that was less delicious to me… but then again, it was not given any time to breathe (he decided to add the D-B to the line-up on a whim after we’d drunk a couple bottles already and I had mentioned La Croix de Beaucaillou)

Also, I found out he is only 72, not 80. lol. I feel a bit bad about thinking he was already 80.

What the Lynch-Bages like? I haven’t had any vintages past the early 90’s so just curious. My wine budget has not kept up with LB’s prices lately…

Thanks for following up. Interesting wine your host asked for…how did he like it?

Love love love Lynch-Bages, big bold black fruit is my thing… and this has that, plus the tannin to balance it but I think we opened it too soon, to be honest. Grateful we got to drink it, but if you have any in your cellar I’d hang on a couple more years before popping it. Unless you have several cases. lol.

As someone who is just getting more into Bordeaux now, I love trying wines at various stages of their evolution - too young, past their prime, and right in the drinking window. It’s all learning for me!

And regarding the Alban Viognier, he liked it. Found it balanced, and not overly sweet. An Italian friend was over too and he really enjoyed it.

Me? I prefer Sauternes after a meal. :slight_smile:

Enjoying a nice slice of Chocolate Babka. Cinnamon will always be it’s red headed step child