What do you serve at parties?

I try to anticipate my guests tastes. Example, thanksgiving, served both Krug and Dom. Then white/red burgs. No complaints. But I did open a bottle of Roy Piper’s 2016 Napa Cab, which was really nice. Did I mention I also opened a bottle of El Tesoro 80th Anniversary Tequila? My guests never complain…

Exactly!

We don’t really have but one big party a year and that is usually BYOB with some basic Cava, Rose, and a solid red like a Produtorrio. When we have folks over such as this weekend, it’s the best we have. champagne.gif

OK, at a computer.

Family for Thanksgiving, with various and sundry friends and relations. Most like wine, only one couple maintains a cellar, so happy ‘civilians’ for the the most part. I wanted an array of tastes/flavors and actually missed out on several (other than making sure they were sound as I opened them.) basically, I went through the cellar trying to pick for variety and perhaps wines that might capture a given person’s imagination.

My wife photographed the dead soldiers…

Master shot:

Then, she took some close ups…

It was a predominantly California crew, so we mostly grabbed Cali wines.

All we asked was that people not be fooled by the stems and take “share pours.”

We included 1982 la Jota cab so people could get a vibe for older wine and Mountain based. 1985 Duckhorn cab, 1984 and 2012 Dominus, 2012 Dunn HM and Napa so people could contrast (I never got a glass of those at all,) a 1991 Groth Reserve so people could see how those used to be, the La Pelle cab and Rivers Marie cabs as a guide to currently delicious, etc. Aubert chards were well received, as was Peter Michael…party!

Anton, I may be a 5th cousin 4 times removed.

You are a great host Anton!!! Not surprising to see.

Uh, me too! I need to get in on some of that.

My family here is relatively small and are not huge drinkers, so I’m always looking for excuses to open stuff.