What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

CHARITY AUCTION DONATIONS!

I do a lot of this. As big a win-win as you can possibly get.

Dan Kravitz

PreCovid I would take them to work and put them on the counter in the break room or put them in a pile and have my wife take them to book club. I’ve tried to sell the ones that had a little value, but I was getting pennies on the dollar and it was a hassle. I don’t have a lot of valuable wine that I don’t want.

I wouldn’t buy them but if I did, I’d wait until I was interested in drinking them.

For example, last night I wasn’t interested in drinking this inexpensive Rioja. Instead we had a rosato from Sangiovese and a cheap Bordeaux.
But tonight, for some reason I have a taste for that Rioja so I’ll open it.

If it’s something I rec’d as a gift and I’m not interested, I’ll either cook with it or open it when we have people over who don’t really care that much what they drink.

But I’d seriously reconsider your acquisition techniques.

- Received in a mystery case: ‘13 Janasse CdP Vieilles Vignes. Not a big fan of CdP and this isn’t a great example anyway. This wouldn’t have happened since I wouldn’t buy a mystery case.

- Received as a gift: ‘11 Cascina Adelaide Barolo. Have no idea where I got this, and I’m not a fan of Italian wines. Gifts are hard to plan for, but you didn’t get a bad wine here. That can be re-gifted or opened when you have some Italian wine fans over.

- Impulse buys: Old Cali cabs from a school auction. The Opus One was a score, but the rest are middling Gotta be careful at auctions. Set a max price for anything you’re interested in and don’t get caught up in a competition. If you don’t get it, so what. BTW, I would try some of those old Cabs if they’ve been stored well. You may be surprised at how good a middling wine can be.

- Winery visits and wine clubs: Too many to name. Wouldn’t happen. When you visit a winery, buy a couple of bottles. Don’t go crazy and buy cases until you’ve had the wine away from the winery and the experience. And don’t join clubs that send you things whether you want them or not. In fact, no need to join a club anyway.

- Board darlings: Rhys bottlings from 10 years ago come to mind. Another thing that would never happen. Who cares if someone on the board loves a wine? This board has people who champion things I would happily never drink in my life.

A hundred wines you don’t want is a lot of wine you don’t want! Good luck from here on out!

I save them for GregT visits

I give them to my 20 yr old son to take to parties. And sometimes have guests who like Sauvignon Blanc!

Periodically I just do a clear out night/open abunch of bottles night. Line up 10 bottles of wines you don’t think you like, or that you think are far over the hill. open one, try a sip, if no likey, open the next. Repeat. Almost always, I find one or two bottles that I actually like. Or that aren’t showing and I set aside, and are showing great in an hour of two. Every once in a while there is a real winner (usually an old cheap riesling.) the rest just go down the drain, or into the cooking jug, and you’ve cleared another bin in your cellar.

I had to warn my friends that the wines I was donating to charity auctions might not be as good as what I served them.

You clearly have too much self control for this hobby [snort.gif] Or at least way more than I do. Mystery cases can be fun, but I also like gambling in Vegas. Money went to the school; it wasn’t an auction that demanded a strategy. Some wine clubs are because my wife wanted to join, or I like most of the wines, but either way I’m going to end up with some stuff that’s a mystery. Board darlings: isn’t the reason for joining this board to get coerced in to buying things I don’t need?

Good thread. I’ve been thinking about this lately. 10 years ago when I started to build my cellar I went a little nuts on CDP. I have 150 bottles of various producers, but now rarely drink it. it’s taking up space in my cellar I’d rather use for other varieties. Not that I’d get rid of all of it, but would probably part with 2/3rds. I looked at Winebid and it says they have a $2500 minimum. I’ll give it a try…might get there if I unload 100 bottles.

Unopened bottles:
Gifts to those who prefer the style or don’t care
Cooking
Auction if worth it

Opened bottles:
Wait a day to see what happens
Cooking if timing happens to be right
Down the drain