What do reductive notes indicate about the quality of a Chardonnay (if anything)?

The least you should do at this point in the thread is follow it, from Eric, especially, and how it ties into what I said.

I often smell skunk before I conclude I was just around the corner from a Starbucks and the source is obvious. Same-same… [snort.gif]

In tasting notes, I strongly agree with you. People should describe what they are experiencing rather than trying to guess and use some not particularly helpful or accurate term, and often enough be flat wrong in the diagnosis, anyway.

“Bobby understands…”, not at all.
…but Rilke’s words some it up well, “grasped by what we cannot grasp…and changes us, even if we do not reach it…”

While it is true the match head contains mostly phosphorus, to my understanging the distinctive struck match smell of a real match comes partly from sulfur compounds.

Here’s a small quote from wikipedia:

the match head is typically composed of 45–55% potassium chlorate, with a little sulfur and starch, a neutralizer (ZnO or CaCO
3), 20–40% of siliceous filler, diatomite, and glue.

This time around my googling turned up some better links. It never made any sense to me that there could be sulfides or mercaptans produced in a match strike; it’s an oxidizing environment, whatever’s there has to be… oxidized (as in SO2), not reduced. Here are some links that (assuming they are accurate) describe some of the chemistry involved:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/about-this-show/how-matches-work/

I still think the most likely explanation of the “struck match” aroma in wine is some combination of SO2 and another compound, but what that is I don’t know.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

I’m not sure everyone even means the same thing when they write “struck match,” let alone the other terms. There seems to be agreement in this thread regarding the smell, if not the compounds responsible for it. But I’ve seen people use “struck match” for the burning and stinging sensation in the nose that I’ve always thought is caused by high levels of SO2 (is that correct?). While a struck match will produce that sensation, I’ve always used the term for the smell, not the stinging or burning.

Same here. I’m sure different people mean different things when they write that (along with lots of other descriptors). Of course “reductive” is an even broader, less distinct term.

Maybe we need a thread asking what someone means when they write “struck match”, but I’m reluctant to start that circus [wow.gif]

Since I’m clearly such a moron what with my lack of education in chemistry and winemaking, I have another question. Are Chardonnays produced in a more creamy, lush style exposed to more oxygen in the winemaking process? I assume part of the recipe is riper grapes, likely also some malolactic fermentation, maybe the oak regimine, etc., but I rarely (never?) notice aromas I associate with Chardonnay made in a reductive style with forward, lush Chardonnay. However, those with that temporary sulfurous aroma are almost always more lean, racy, citrus-and-mineral drive in style. Coincidence, stylistic choice, what?