What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Had a #274 supposedly Stonemaiden on Saturday at Chez Boet in Naples
. Showed very well. Dark with great fruit. Also had a 2005 Duhart Milon my wine friend brought. Showed will too although the BDX was dryer. Nice contrast

3 Likes

OG N.141 2018 Horse Heaven Hills Cabernet Sauvignon

Fourth bottle. Trying to decide if I want more, at the current sweet deal?
So, I opened both 141 & 81(a favorite) to compare.
They were both very good, 81 more powerful, 141 has both power and elegance! Slight preference for 141 on day one.
On Day 2. Strong preference for 141, it had improved . 81 did not improve. I ordered another case of 141, it’s delicious, elegant, woody and very age worthy!

Definitely Scott, with dinner.

3 Likes

142 Malbec - only DN version on Malbec that was recently ordered and delivered. Ate with a smoked then seared rack of pork with a spicy rub.

As a pop and pour it was very good but average $15 Malbec. After 2 hours I had the second glass and it starts it wake up. Has a good Flavor both on the front and back of the palate sort of like a brazed red sauce rust has cooked for 12 hours in short ribs. Very much black berries and a bit of roasted nuts.

I’ve almost never had a Malbec that wasn’t better the next day and based on the first 2 glasses i suspect it will shine even more tomorrow.

If I were to score it’s a 91.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried out one of the Dourdon-Vieillard Champagnes yet? Was wondering if we should possibly let the NVs rest until Christmas before trying one out.

Developing bright bouquet gives promise to L 165 Napa Carneros 2018 light-bodied ‘Estate’ Pinot Noir. Hopefully, typical PN nuances will develop within the next six months or so. Thoroughly enjoyed our first dNé PN selection as it held up well to grilled baked fresh trout, rhubarb-turnip-parsnips w/seasoned brown rice. 90 pts

5 Likes

Had a N.68 Sonoma (Pride) with a wine friend last night. PNP lovely floral bouquet and dark fruit. Needs time but WTH need a glass and a friend to drink it with.

3 Likes

Totally Agree, about N.68.
I have done extra long decants each time, but, it still needs even more time in the bottle.
It’s delicious and it’s getting very hard to wait for it…
1st World problems are the best kind of problems.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

3 Likes

A friend gave me a bottle of #255, Napa Cab. This is a fantastic wine, drinking great now. I remember when it first was offered, and thinking I had too much wine, and too many cabs. Passing it up was a big mistake.

5 Likes

First of all, had a very average bottle of champagne tonight that we got with Costco with sushi at our fav byob sushi place and it was disappointing bc it was the essentially the same meal that we had with dN 276 about 6 months ago and the contrast was huge. Wish there was more 276.

First bottle of 300 is in line for thanksgiving dinner. Those of you have have it, how long a decant does it need?

2 Likes

87 Petit Verdot. So good and killer for the price

1 Like

The longer the better. PnP it’s like a 5-year old in a talent show. Clumsy but shows great promise. After a good decant, it is excellent.

2 Likes

Drank the Pinot N. 48 tonight and my in laws loved it. It’ll keep going but was a crowd pleaser

2 Likes

Tonight Pinot #24 with the Family Thanksgiving dinner. It’s great! Goes well with everything!
Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving all!

2 Likes

Pinot #65 for Thanksgiving - Great pairing for holiday dinner!
And a real crowd pleaser!

1 Like

Decided to pop open one of the Dourdon Rose NV Champagnes and answer my own question:

• NV Dourdon-Vieillard Champagne La Gourmandise de Désirée Rosé - France, Champagne (11/25/2022)
    Medium orangish-salmon in color. Ample stream of fine bubbles. Nose of dark toasted brioche, candied strawberries, and blood orange. Medium heavy bodied, the bubbles fail to produce lift in the mouth, and the high acidity hides the 9g/l dosage well. Palate is very fruity. Strawberries, raspberries, lemons, blood orange, peaches, a bit of pomegranate, a bit of nuts, and a bit of dough. A light tanninc structure combines with the acidity to give the wine backbone and an astringent stone fruit pit note. Long saline, sandstone, tart berry, and mildly spiced finish that hangs on. As it warms up, I get more fruit skin throughout the sip.

Think of this as a brunch bubbly. It’s good but fails to excite me. For the price paid the quality meets my expectations. If served blind, the fruit forward nature might even make me think this was from California. (91 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

N.173 tonight. So so good.

2 Likes

N.41 St. Helena Cabernet Sauvignon: blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream.

3 Likes

Well Luke, do tell. How was #300 with your thanksgiving dinner? I’m curious if it’s drinking well yet.
I did like that funny story about a “5 year old kid in a Talent Show.” Clumsy?

300 was good but not transcendent to me (yet?)
It was enjoyed side by side with my current fav cellar defender 211. The 300 was with a 6 hour decant (as opposed to what I often do which is just open and take a small glass off the top to expose more surface area). I didn’t try to to make any tasting notes (why try when you have so much going on with the rest of thanksgiving dinner?) it did make the meal enjoyable but didn’t stand out as significantly better than 211.

It’s possible that my palate caps out at a “strong wine” and can’t distinguish a “transcendent wine”. And that’s ok to me. I can for sure tell the difference between a grocery store cab and the well enjoyed denegoce wine but so far I cannot really say I’ve seen a clear difference in enjoyment between the “top flight offerings” and the strong ones. I have 50,100,145,200, 213, 241, 274, 300, which I would consider my “best denegoce lots” and have tried all but 213 and 200… think my philosophy on these will be to drink about 1-2 bottles of each a year for the next 5 years and see what it teaches me about my palate. I also recently bought a few bottles of highly rated wines that I’ll use as me personal non nda standards.

Scott, mikko, Brian (and others in this forum) I really appreciate your more mature insight. When there is a wine that people post a “grownup review” on here that I own, I often will pop one in the next week and see if I can taste what people are describing….speaking of grownups: haven’t head from Joe, (our senior) statesman in a while. Joe how are you?

Happy holidays all.

5 Likes

Served the 313 IGP Gard Rose, 303 Minervois La Liviniere GSM and 237 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc for Thanksgiving dinner to excellent reviews. The 237 keeps surprising me at how nice it is.

4 Likes