What Causes The "Cola" Aroma in Some Pinot Noirs?

Okay, I’m gonna ask a dumb, but sincere, question. Does cola have an aroma? I admit I’ve never sniffed my Coke (ha! Cocaine joke!). I always thought of cola flavors in Pinot, but aroma?

[scratch.gif]

Pommard is what I was thinking of as well, Paul.

I would agree.

Here is straight forward analysis of the compounds from oak. Many of the ingredients-profiles are what we have been discussing.

https://www.etslabs.com/library/15

Tom

1 Like

That link is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks for sharing this. This thread is very interesting.

So to what extent does barrel toasting lead to cola? Can you correlate the two? Are wines with a certain barrel toast more associated with cola?

I have no idea. One would have to do a controlled study to see what chemicals are formed-increased-decreased by the toasting process. Obviously 'toasty" notes increase but there are also many other compounds that come into play. The reason I put formed-increase-decrease is because there are studies that show the heavier the toast level, some compounds DECREASE compared with medium toast.

I mentioned it earlier but worth repeating. Many people on this board steer away from this Cherry Kola or Kola note but many many others seek out wines with it because they like it.

Tom

Very interesting link, Tom!

i really dislike that aroma/flavor in any wine, so PLEASE avoid it when you start producing your own Pinot Noir!

1 Like

LOL, that’s exactly my reaction when I get it in a non-RRV pinot.

Not a fan of the flavor profile in wine but a big fan up the discussion/information upthread.

I agree with Otto: I have only found cola in Oregon Pinots very rarely (compared to many CA AVAs) and if so, tends to be a warmer vintage and definitely a winery that uses a higher percentage of new oak. For my personal taste, if I can taste vanilla and/or other oak-derived flavors on a Pinot, it’s a flaw. Structure and tannins from new oak are okay, but the oak flavors should be so deep in the background that they are not primary notes.

I want to stress that over-oaking is not just a high-end winery issue. Mass-produced Pinot (and other wines) that stays in tanks can have bags of oak chips or other oak “alternatives” added.

Interestingly, I found some cola in a barrel sample of a 2019 Lindquist Family Winery Bien Nacido Block Z Syrah last week. I will talk to Bob and find out what specific barrel it was in, but obviously it’s not just apparent in Pinot . . .

Cheers.

That would make a lot of sense then. Including how Larry would see it in Syrah.

I was taught early on that it’s a product of cool fermentations, but haven’t found any real consistency to that.

2006-2012 ish Kosta Browne seems to have it in spades

Maybe it’s a by-product of all the Velcorin? [snort.gif]

neener

Funny - but I’ll have to say no - at least in the case of the Lindquist Syrah above [snort.gif] neener [wow.gif]

Cheers

Could it be from combining Syrah and Pinot Noir? [stirthepothal.gif]

Ouch . . .

I wouldn’t think so - syrah producers would never allow that to happen! [snort.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

Cheers!

Curious if anyone has gotten it on '18 red Burg…just food for thought.