What categories in your cellar are diminishing and not being replaced?

Red Burgundy. I do backfill occasionally but I don’t buy new releases like I used to. I still have about 100 different red Burgundies in the cellar so no shortage of wines to drink of different ages.

1 Like

Any red except for Chianti and Brunello which I like young. I’ve been drinking down the Bordeaux and Cal Cabs which I like older. Now I’m buying German whites, Chardonnay’s, Chenin Blanc and lots of Champagne. Lots of Champagne!

Affordable wines.

1 Like

Older Bordeaux and California (etc.) Cabs if deemed ready to drink. I might theoretically get more if the replacements have been kept cold enough. Also of course some whites and Beaujolais Crus. In general none of these categories has underwhelmed me. RTPL

Drinking down Barolos and Brunellos. Bought a lot after certain trips to Italy. I’m still saving a few to see how they do with age.

Will continue to buy Cali cabs or old vine field blends. Drank down my west coast Pinot collection years ago.

North American, Spanish, and Rhône wines. Drinking more and more champagne, Italian, Loire, and German wines.

Also, a great way to go through life.

1 Like

For me it’s Southern Rhone - I haven’t bought any in years. I found I just didn’t generally enjoy them often. Generally, I’m buying a lot fewer sweet wines as well, particularly Sauternes. They’re absolutely fantastic wines but I am rarely craving them.

CA Cabernet for me. 20 years ago it was on parity (edited for prides sake) with my Bordeaux count. Im now down to my last few cases. Then CA Pinot, which just isn’t for me anymore.

I have bought one bottle of CDP in the last 5-6 years.

Barolo, Barbaresco and N. Rhones are filling the vacancies.

Red wine.

I agree that CA cabs are a parody of Bordeaux [snort.gif]

1 Like

CdP, Northern Rhone, new world Syrah, Sauvignon blanc.

I’m starting to taste a few Northern Rhônes that interest me, but even when I do, the pricing usually doesn’t make me seek them out. Plus my wife doesn’t like Rhones which makes them even less valuable to me.

Riesling because I bought way too many and not all of them have aged well so drinking most of them up.

Red Burgundy (more specifically from Cote de Nuits). As much as I love it, i just cannot justify the current pricing. I still pick up a few here and there, but it is diminishing in my cellar.

Sauternes and other sweet wines.

Dry German riesling. Was my thing at a point. Found out i don’t really like them that much with age. So sold most and have been drinking the rest.

Italian wines (not my cup0f tea), German riesling (my wife hates ‘EM) whites of any kind (Burgundy became too expensive, and I do ok with purchase, pop and pour).

Loire and Rhone are, for the most part, disappearing from my cellar. There are a couple of exceptions to that, notably Baudry, as well as maintaining a level of Pepiere Muscadet. Other than that it’s pretty much on a downward slope for both. Bordeaux is holding steady, as I seem to be buying at replacement level.

1 Like

I haven’t bought any CdP in years. Last two bottles were 2009 & 2010 Beaucastel Hommage and before that was really 2007 9which I regret to a large extent). Haven’t bought an Austrailian Shiraz in many years as well. Still have some enjoyment out of the aging bottles in my cellar and my wife loves a fruit bomb but… Still buy a good amount of Aussie wine, it’s just white for the most part. Also the last vintage of Bordeaux I bought was 2010. I trophy hunted and have a lot of 2005, 2009 & 2010 so I"ll be drinking well for decades but I don’t need any more.

Phasing out many of the high octane wines. No longer buying Napa Cabs or southern Rhone blends/varieties

Sticking mainly to Pinot; Piedmont Nebbiolo; Sangiovese (esp. BdM); any whites.

If I’m in the mood for a “big” wine, will reach for Bordeaux.