What Burgundy producer produces wines with the best aromatics?

+1

IMHO, this has much less to do with the producers and way more to do with how the wines are handled from the moment they leave their birthplace to the moment you pop the bottle open. Best to smell the wines as close to source as possible. Events like LaPaulee help but even there, the aromas from a freshly opened bottle are often very different from those of the last drops, not to mention temperature variations.

RT

Thread drift. On the whole cluster = great aromatics, for a wine closer to home look for the White Rose Pinot Noirs from Willamette Valley, especially the Guillen and White Rose vineyards. These are whole cluster and have amazing aromatics, not unlike Dujac. My impression of the 2011s and 2012s (from barrel) during a recent visit was similar to the Prince of Pinot’s in his blind tasting of whole cluster pinot.

http://www.princeofpinot.com/article/1391/
2010 White Rose White Rose Vineyard Estate Whole Cluster Dundee Hills Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
13.3% alc., 97 cases. · Moderately light reddishrose color in the glass. Lovely nose with scents of fresh cherries, sandalwood, vanilla, exotic spices and floral highlights. The aromatics leap out of the glass. Delicious red cherry core with tamed, fine-grain tannins, and a long spiced cherry finish. Bravo! Knowing a Dujac wine was in this flight, everyone thought this was the Dujac wine since the aromatics reminded of Dujac. Extraordinary and one of the clear favorite wines of this tasting.

Interesting that Berry did not mention color, yet nobody has mentioned any white wines.

Howard, it’s not widely known that white wines are made in Burgundy.

A lot of the domains listed without reference to specific cuvées do produce white wines. I suppose the people contributing those domaines might have had the whites in mind.

I can spend endless stretche of time with my nose in a glass of Antoine Jobard’s Meursault Charmes.

Howard, it’s not widely known that white wines are made in Burgundy

Is this a sarcastic comment?

From a non American point of view -what exactly do you mean by ‘aromatics’ All wines have aromas but some are more subtle than others. Are you looking for favourites or more strongly pronounced aromas?

Yes, Tracy, I was being sarcastic.

I have been on wine boards for long enough to know that no matter what people think they are saying, they (we) pretty much always equate best with favorite.

Roulot, Coche, Raveneau. All different but equally great.

white:
roulot (for that green, nettle, sting), dauvissat/raveneau (for creamy but chalky, salty seashell) and ramonet (for the white flower, just right orchard fruit and that curious minty note and careful but subtle oak)

red:
mugnier/roumier chambolle (for ethereal, perfumed, red flower high toned notes), faiveley/roty gevrey (for crunchy red fruit, blood, iron and mineralson nose and palate)

white: coche & raveneau

red: truchot, rousseau, leroy, meo, lambrays

Given that he said “produces” not “produced” I will leave out Truchot and go with Roumier.

[quote=“James Sanders”]Thread drift. On the whole cluster = great aromatics, for a wine closer to home look for the White Rose Pinot Noirs from Willamette Valley, especially the Guillen and White Rose vineyards. These are whole cluster and have amazing aromatics, not unlike Dujac.,

+1

Dujac and DRC

Not mentioning the high 3 figure people or those I represent:

red:
Dujac
d’Angerville
Bruno Clair

white:
Coche Dury
Raveneau
Michel Bouzereau

Dan Kravitz

Cloche is not a high three figure person?

Yeah, those are good examples.

I still think in some ways great Barolo and Barbaresco have more pronounced aromatics, not necessarily more complex…old giacosa, g. conterno, bartolo mascarello, g. rinaldi, etc. a recent '89 giacosa probably had the best aromatics of the year for me…

-mark