What Bottle Stands Out In Your Memory?

Caymus 40th Anniversary CS. I should have sold it and made some money instead of drinking it.

'99 DRC RC.

On a night full of fabulous wines including 2 line ups of various vintages of RC including '23, '55, '59, '78, '91, '93 - the '99 was head and shoulders above everything (although the '90 was pretty damn close), and still is the greatest single wine I have had.

Although I have had a number of first growths or equivalents, the wine that sticks out in my tasting memory over the last 40 years is an 02 Drouhin Beaune Clos de Mouches Blanc . A great white burg with a wonderful combination of barnyard, fruit, minerals and spice on the nose and palate. Had the same wine twice after, but they. never matched the first one nor any white wine since.

82 Pichon Lalande on New Year’s Eve 1999. Just a magical bottle - could not believe wine could go those heights. Got me started on this whole crazy journey.

Had it last September in a vertical of several Kabinetts, including younger Egon Mueller Scharzhofberger Auction and various others. This was the oldest of the lot and by far the best.
Absolutely stunning…

I’m curious if you ever told her how much she missed out on

1982 Pichon Lalande

My first really eye opening bottle, a 1995 Pride Cab.

Two bottles on the same night that were different, and true perfection: 1982 Pichon Lalande and 1997 Harlan Estate

Two bottles of a meaningful night with my father, who will always be my mentor and best friend: 1994 Dominus and 1998 Grange on his 60th birthday.

And my most recent greats that blew me one night late last year: 1982 Pichon Lalande (again) and 1989 Haut Brion on the same evening.