What bottle of Cayuse/No Girls/Horsepower did you open today?

Doc,

The 08 Frog is absolutely one of my favorite bottles of wine. I believe I’ve given it a hundo twice. Interesting about the heat on the finish. Did it dissipate or stay throughout? Sounds like a great dinner!

Ron,

Really terrific note. I’ve had a hard time lately (past couple of years) with the GOK. Maybe I just haven’t given them enough time in the decanter. Flavors have seem muddled. Could be they were just young. I’ve been a big fan of the No Girls Grenache and the Horsepower Grenache. More pure red fruited grenache flavors, for me. Good to see that after a couple of days, those flavors started to shine.

One drunken night a few years ago, Christophe was opining that Cayuse wines should only be served with duck (of course a Frenchman is going to say that!). I have been thinking we should just do that. Five or six course meal, different duck preparations (I’ll cook), and pair them with Cayuse/No Girls/Horsepower wines. My brother-in-law’s house in Newcastle would be a perfect location (terrific kitchen and large dining room table). Get about 8 people-10 people. Would you be interested in something like that?

Um, yes!

Count me in

Ditto.

Didn’t last long enough to make cogent commentary.

Had a 2012 Tribe Syrah Friday night. Was very “funky” and didn’t have much going for it. Definitely not as good as previous bottles…

2010 No Girls Grenache

We found it very cool, light, with very restrained funk. Intense flavours with raspberry and olive in the foreground throughout.

Jared…if you don’t want to cook we both know Wild Ginger does some killer duck.

Tom

• 2009 Cayuse Tempranillo Impulsivo En Chamberlin Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (8/16/2016)
    Decanted 2 hrs. Perhaps not the most showy of Cayuse wins, but for my money, one of the more deceptively effective ones for my palate. I have been on a mini Tempranillo tear the last two weeks, culminating with this Impulsivo. Thus having the grape on my mind, it really hit home how well the red fruited, slightly higher acid vehicle delivers the trade mark smoke, green olive, cured meat trademarks that make this address so alluring. Calm and patient, the class of this 09 really shows on the finish, which imprints a lasting impression well after the last sip concluded. Also, it was really fun to drink this while watching the terrific kids movie, the Book Of Life, which was set in Mexico, but with fantastical settings are art design. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Love the 10 NG grenache! Sounds like it showed very well.

Lucas,

Had a 13 Tribe the other night that was showing absolutely zero on the palate. Terrific nose but nothing in the mouth. On day two, it was pretty damn good. My friend Dale had a Sur Echelas syrah that was opened for 3 days and he said it was so northern Rhone like and could compete with the french big boys. I think with these, we need to decant for a long time or just let 'em sit for awhile. So much potential.

Dale,

Great note, as always. I know how you feel about the Impulsivo and I couldn’t agree more. The grape lends itself perfectly to the Cayuse house style. Bueno!

Had the 2010 En Chamberlin last week along with a 2012 No Girls Grenache. Here is the note for the En Chamberlin…

2010 Cayuse En Chamberlin Syrah
Decanted for two hours. Screamin’ from the moment the cork was pulled. I’m telling you, people, the 2010’s from the state of Washington (not all producers, of course…) are damn fine wines. Specifically, the 10’s from Cayuse are easily my tip top, favorite vintage of Christophe’s wines. Perfect balance of carnivorous savoriness and complimentary fruitiness (not in the 1980’s light in the loafer type…not that there is anything wrong with that!). Think Layne Staley and his growly, screaming vocals followed by Jerry Cantrell and his perfect harmonies. Fire-roasted meat and drippings intertwined with dark red and black fruits. Roasted mushrooms atop crushed blackberries. Dark plum lounging in bay leaf infused soy. I think you get the idea. 98pts.

2009 Cailloux, as a pop n pour as I fell asleep this afternoon and forgot to get this difficult-to-remove cork out. Man that cork was stuck and this wine was just hot while we dined, cellar temp too. Think it badly needed a hour or two of air, good stuff seemed in there but hard to get past the burn.

2007 Cayuse Syrah Cailloux Vineyard - Crimson in color and just starting to fade slightly at the edge of the glass. 14.6% ABV. Savory nose of red fruits, blood, iodine and grilled meats all complemented by an amazing floral component. Medium body with light to medium acidity. Supple and silky on the palate. Flavors of cherries, pepper, olive brine and smoke. The finish is absolutely exquisite. Like most Cayuse wines there just aren’t enough superlatives to do the wine justice. Drink over the next 3-5 years.

My rating: 95 points.

Tom

2010 En Chamberlin Syrah - Decanted for about three hours. Nose was very complex and interesting right from the get go - including a little funk that eventually almost disappeared. Upon tasting, I found this to be rather restrained and definitely dominated by olive tapenade - I had a hard time recognizing any fruit after awhile. Still it was enjoyable - I think I just expected a little more.