What are your favorite Spanish Wines?

One of the coolest websites I’ve ever seen. And their tasting room is unbelievable:

Jim,

We visited RLdH and toured the Tondonia vineyard and the Bodega last summer. It was an amazing experience – like entering a time warp back about 100 years. The tasting room is about the only place that you see any stainless steel. I think the tour would enduce seizures in the stereotypcial Davis-trained wine maker.

Plus, Maria-Jose (one of RLdH siblings who run the operation) is one of the most engaging and generous people I’ve met in all my wine-related adventures. Her respect for the legacy she’s responsible for maintaining is refreshing. And, most importantly, their wine are unique and fabulous…

Michael

Aalto
Aalto PS
Alto Moncayo Moncayo
Alto Moncayo Aquilon
Avanthia Godello (my current favorite white wine from anywhere)
Doix
El Nido (El Nido / Clio)
Finca Dofi
Mauro
Mauro Vendimia Seleccionada
Mauro Terreus
Vina Sastre Pago de Santa Cruz
Vina Sastre Regina Vides
Vina Sastre Pesus

Great response! Though I do love what Spains wine Industry is doing today, its also nice to see that there is still an appreciation for the more classic wine styles. I am more familiar with Spanish wines than anywhere else (France plays a close second) but I tend to overlook a lot of quality wine in Spain just our of habit of going to my old favorites. Here are some of my favorites old and new.

Pago de Capellanes
Cellar de Silos
MATSU el Viejo (tasted it today, all 3 MATSUS are amazing but this one stood out)
Alion
Jose Pariente Rueda
Martina Prieto Verdejo (Jose Parientes daughter, its almost better than her dad’s)
Veleta Nolados
Pesquera
Malleolus (Emilio Moros)
Senorio de Bocos Tinto de Autor (down the rd from Pesquera, one my most memorable wines tasted in 2010)

Im always looking for more and more unknown…

1. R. López de Heredia Viña Tondonia (red and white)***** - Mainly the Gran Reservas, but the 2001 Reserva is particularly nice.

2. La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 890 & 904.

3. Riojanas Monte Real & Viña Albina GRs.*****

4. CVNE Imperial GRs (older vintages)******

5. Muga Prado Enea GR - especially the 2001.

6. Vega Sicilia Único

7. Lustau’s Palo Cortado & Oloroso Abocado

Nb: I and a friend have relatively recently established a very small business in Manila engaged in importing and selling aged Spanish wines - mainly from Rioja (the only other wine we sell so far is txakoli). We only import and offer wines we personally have had, enjoy and buy for ourselves, and all wines come from the bodegas’ cellars.

It’s really for the fun of it and love of the wines. We do make a little money - and I do mean little - I refer to it as “pang kape”, roughly translated meaning “money to buy a cup of coffee with”. We kept our “day jobs”, of course - I still practice law and he still runs his family’s distribution/marketing company.

***** I and my partner import this to Manila.

****** I and my partner will be importing selected older vintages to Manila. Talks with the bodega are already underway.

Another for LdH

But one of the most fun is

http://www.serres.net/

Also, almost anything brought in by Jose Pastor…

alejandra,

nice list; [thumbs-up.gif]
to add to your list:

Hacienda Monasterio
Rueda Verdejo Ricardo Sanz
anyway everything from Alejandro Fernandez
and a lot of Cavas and Jerez
(Alion, Vega Sicilia, Pintia, Pago et. al have been mentioned)

I just try to avoid all these parkerized new world style spanish wines which come over like sugarized alcoholic fruit bombs, it does not fit Spain [cheers.gif]

Love the Lopez de Heredia line as many have mentioned. Also, love trying wines that Jose Pastor imports.
Also:
Castillo Y Gay Gran Reserva Especial
Vina Valoria
Ameztoi Getariako Txakolina - a great summer wine, also their Rubentis rose is fantastic

Another vote for Muga, really eye opening stuff.

As for new world styled Spanish: Clio, El Nido, of course.

For value plays Tres Picos, Volver. Volver is extremely spotty in quality, but a really good bottle is a true pleasure.

Summer is coming and I always break out the Muga Grenache Rose.

A few favorites

2001 Clos Mogador Priorat Manyetes - Spain, Catalunya, Priorat (1/17/2011)
Spanish Tasting (Twin Cities): The most old world of the bunch. Tobacco, floral, forest floor and cherry. The palate is intense and flavorful with additional wood quality coming into the picture. Medium finish and still tannic. Decanted 2 hours and this should further evolve with some time. (93 points)

2004 Rotllan Torra Priorat Tirant - Spain, Catalunya, Priorat (12/7/2010)
Minneapolis wine club: Ribera del Duero vs. Priorat (Kristen’s House): Another solid showing with menthol, minerlas, cherry and earth. Medium finish and plenty left in the take as I see this wine going strong for a decade. Decanted one hour. (92 points)

2003 Rotllan Torra Priorat Amadis - Spain, Catalunya, Priorat (12/6/2010)
Minneapolis wine club: Ribera del Duero vs. Priorat (Kristen’s House): Really solid wine and drinking well right now. I had some seepage through the cork but filtered out the sediment and decanted an hour and the wine was drinking well. Fruit on the nose featuring cherry, raspberry and some floral notes. On the palate a nice combination of fruits and earth. Cherry, raspberry, leather and floral notes. Medium finish and good acidity. Well made and I would drink within five years. (92 points)
Posted from CellarTracker

2004 Bodegas y Viñedos Maurodos Toro Viña San Román - Spain, Castilla y León, Toro (1/17/2011)
Spanish Tasting (Twin Cities): Second time tasting this wine and it is great. Raspberry, wood, spice and floral notes dominate the nose and palate. A few times we agreed it might be slightly corked but it was really the wood quality of the wine. This should age nicely for a decade or more. Very well made. (94 points)

2006 Bodegas AAlto Ribera del Duero AAlto - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (1/17/2011)
Spanish Tasting (Twin Cities): Decanted 2 hours. Wonderful right off the bat but declined two hours later so my advice is one hour decant and drink. Floral, raspberries, spice and minerals. Big mouthful and long finish. I have been impressed with every vintage I have sampled of the AAlto base wines. For $35 well worth the price. (94 points)

2000 Resalte Ribera del Duero Reserva - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (12/7/2010)
Minneapolis wine club: Ribera del Duero vs. Priorat (Kristen’s House): Wow what a nice wine with leather, raspberry, sour cherries, coffee and spices. Good weight to the wine and a long finish. This wine is drinking well right now after an hour decant. I need to get a few more bottles! (94 points)

2004 Bodegas Uvaguilera Aguilera Ribera del Duero Palomero - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (12/7/2010)
Minneapolis wine club: Ribera del Duero vs. Priorat (Kristen’s House): What a great wine. Dark purple with black cherry, smoke, spice, truffles, vanilla and oak. Concentrated and possesses medium tannins. Another decade of enjoyment and decanted one hour. (94 points)

2004 Bodegas AAlto Ribera del Duero AAlto - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (12/7/2010)
Minneapolis wine club: Ribera del Duero vs. Priorat (Kristen’s House): One of the best wines from Riberia for the price. Chocolate, leather, raspberry, vanilla and oak. The palate picks up some nice spice elements and this wine has a long finish. (93 points)

2003 Bodegas Emilio Moro Ribera del Duero Malleolus - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (12/6/2010)
Minneapolis wine club: Ribera del Duero vs. Priorat (Kristen’s House): Nice wine overall with spice, leather, cherry, and coffee beans on the nose. The palate shows similar character and the finish is medium. Well made wine and drinking window is less than five years. Decanted one hour. (92 points)

I just checked out the website for Jose Pastor, really impressive and thats a nice list of wines I have yet to experience. Thanks [cheers.gif]

One thing that I found interesting, is that Pingus has not been mentioned amongst the higher-end wines listed in this thread? I have enjoyed the few Ive tried in the past, but have mostly been underwhelmed or disappointed from what my expectations were. Is that a common perception or just mine, that they are overrated in both taste and in ratings?

Also, on the topic of rose: Libalis Rose and Pares Balta are easy to love when (and if) summer comes. The txacolina rose sounds intruiging.

@ John, great tasting notes.

I’ve only ever had the 2001 Pingus (plus a couple of vintages of Flor de Pingus). As regards the 2001 Pingus, I liked it, but definitely I do not think it is worth the price. Good thing it wasn’t I who bought the bottle.

Priorat, any wine from Jerez but perhaps especially the manzanillas from Sanlúcar and definitely Bierzo. The Palacios make some extraordinary wines like Jim said. None of the above I have too often but one I’ve been super impressed with, which I really want to try more of and which I think will be big is Ribeira Sacra in Galicia, amazing scenery and vineyards, almost looks like the duoro valley!

Forgot to mention, and I realize it’s far from traditional but man was it delicious, Nuestra Señora de Remelluri Blanco! [dance-clap.gif]

Sign me up for old school Priorat, brut nature Cava, and Terra Alta garnacha blanca!

Numanthia
Mas Doix
Clos Mogador
Clos Martinet
Clio

Celler Cal Pla
Clos Galena

How did I forget Numanthia and Termanthia? [blush.gif] As well as the new wines from the Eguren family’s new project in Toro…

Teso La Monja Alabaster
Teso La Monja Almirez
[worship.gif]