what are you most likely to grab with traditional red sauce, cheese & meat pizza?

Prosecco.

The problem with pizza [and Americanized pseudo-Italian cuisine in general] isn’t the tomato sauce so much as it is the oregano.

Oregano is the thermonuclear herb - it obliterates everything in its path.

A hoppy IPA like Saga or Day Tripper.

Sorry, but montepulciano is the best call.

Lots of bad choices listed above, take your pick. Beer or coke is probably best. Followed by a simple Italian red.

If you say so Gary! [wink.gif]

Chianti. Lots of bizarre in this thread. First I doubt that oregano obliterates wine but I also don’t use oregano with pizza. I don’t find mozz insipid, but I do try to use a freshly made local version. Lastly the idea that pizza is unfriendly to wine does not align with my experience. After Chianti I also like dolcetto, lacrima, Frappato and barbera.

I think rose or a flavorful white works better than most reds. Pizza is one of the few foods with which I enjoy really fruitful, bold reds (Spanish or New World), because most Italian reds either get overwhelmed or taste awkward. It depends a lot on the specific pizza, though. I do think tannins are the enemy. Sangiovese doesn’t work at all for me.

Agreed, I don’t drink much of it but, a good fit.

Do the CDR guys here see it as wildly different than the CdP option? I usually think of CDR as a poor man’s CdP with many( not all) having the same general blend of grapes but I suppose some CDR can be somewhat leaner than CdP. Or, is because its cheaper?

How was the wine? I’ve almost bought one to try a couple times.

I’d definitely recommend it. I’ve had a few bottles and they’ve all been very nice and really solid values. Across their lineup, I think Faiveley really killed it in 2012 (the Beze and Clos des Cortons are mind-blowing wines). The serious stuff is going to be epic in time, but the Bourgogne is just a really enjoyable drink now.

We don’t usually make pizza with meat on them unless it’s chicken based. That’s why I selected Brunello - if it was a red meat based pizza, I would go bolder like Zin.

^^goodposting^^

Ballast Point Sculpin also fits the bill.

if forced to choose wine, a balanced Zin.

+1. I voted for Rose.

Basically yes. When I eat pizza, its rarely on a night that I want to open an expensive bottle. Therefore, a cheaper red rhone (CDR), or other red from the languedoc can also work. I tend to think the garrique works well with the herbs on pizza. But most of the time, if I have a good one, I prefer a chianti.

Too many so-so/mediocre calls here to name, but Beer is clearly a better beverage than most vino for pizza.

A good IPA (or DIPA) would be excellent . . . or a Saison . . . nothing would beat a Gueuze, or an American Wild Ale with some hops in the background . . . but it’s Pizza, & any of a dozen kinds of Beer would be a better match for it than any wines listed so far.

A good, Frizzante Lambrusco would be fine too . . .

Also like Andy’s suggestion of Ruby, or LBV Port - with a bit of a chill on it.

It’s about the flavors.

pileon

[cheers.gif]

With an only meat-and-cheese pizza, I usually pick a cool-climate Syrah (my vote for the poll). With more veggies/mushrooms/black olives, I usually go Pinot (Burg/CA/OR) or Etna Rosso.

Zinfandel

Apparently they’ve got something at CPK now called “Korean BBQ Chicken”.

Anyway, for your Thai Chicken and your Original BBQ and whatnot, grab a nice spritzy Moscato d’Asti with a ton of fizz on it.

For me it’s price and my drinking pattern. If I were a lot richer, I might drink young Vieux Telegraphe and Pignan as my CDRs, but in practice I drink cheaper CdR young and I age a small set of Chateauneufs, so they end up as very different categories.