What are the wines you try to buy in 375ml??

None. I would be interested in some whites but the wines I want are hard to find in 375s.

Too bad Neal isnā€™t here to comment :slight_smile:.

I love half bottles-gives me a chance to try some wines and their evolution when I donā€™t want to open a full bottle. We have lots of Sauternes, Bordeaux and Burgundy in half bottle format.

We sometimes see the word ā€œsplitā€ used when referring to ā€œhalf bottlesā€-a ā€œsplitā€ is half of a half bottle or 187.5ml-a format you can find for some Champagnes and others but not as widely available as a half bottle.

[cheers.gif]

I just tried to buy a few 2016 Trimbach Clos Ste Hune in 375s, but to no avail. Back in graduate school, I remember drinking through lots and lots of late 90s half bottles of CSH at Chez Henri (a French/Cuban near Harvard Square). Thought it would be fun to revisit, but I donā€™t want a 750, especially at current prices.

Whatever I can find when the price is right. Like full-bodied reds in halves the best because I usually donā€™t eat that kind of red meat two days in a row, and end up with too big a wine for whatever weā€™re eating the second night.

Outside of Sauternes, we have more .375ā€™s of Champagne than anything else. Billecart Salmon Roseā€™ and Bonville, primarily. We also buy Ridge Geyserville, as they are usually available at the winery.

Ed

More, if I could find them available in the wines I like and the price is right, not like 75% of a 750ml bottle.

Kirk, your ā€œother thanā€ on the dessert wines eliminates the vast majority of my 375/500 bottles. But over the past couple of years as I have been turned on to Champagne not just for ā€œspecial occasionsā€ I find Champagne in the half bottle to be a very versatile format. I am not talking high end, but just your everyday good quality enjoyable bubbly. e.g. Louis Roederer Brut Premier, B-S Brut Reserve & Brut Rose, Ployez-Jacquemart Rose, Taittinger La Francaise, Laurent Perrier La Cuvee to name several that I have enjoyed in 375ml. I have managed to find all of these except the Ployez-Jacquemart at wine.com in the 375ml format. If they are priced reasonably to begin with, the use of coupons/rebates/cc offers can make these relatively inexpensive. Cheers.

1 Like

Maybach

I never seek out anything in 375, and only buy them if they are an incredible deal somewhere. I agree with others above who say that if you want a little more of something, just open a full bottle and leave the remainder for the next day. I also donā€™t drink many dessert wines, and even a full bottles of Champagne usually seems like not quite enough. I wish they came in 1 liter bottles. champagne.gif

Zachyā€™s has plenty of 375ā€™s. https://www.zachys.com/instantsearchplus/result/?q=375

Take out the Vermouth, Liqueurs, and stickies and there isnā€™t a lot of choice in the wines I would like to buy. :frowning:

Astor wines also has a decent selection of 375s. Inventory is constantly beinng updated and a lot of the good stuff doesnā€™t last too long

Great post Dan!

lotā€™s of things Iā€™d be happy with:
Faiveley Clos des Myglands
Jamet Cote Rotie
Canniliccio di Sopra Brunello
Altesino Brunello
Billaud Simon Village Chablis
Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlmagne

and a couple of things Iā€™d be interested in trying
Barraud Pouilly Fuissee Vielle Vignes
Mellot Sancerre La Moussiere

On some of these, the pricing is actually good. With a little more age, Iā€™d be thrilled with a mixed case of these 6 that I listed.

I love a good 1/2 bottle. Half whites are great for weekend lunch when we donā€™t want to open a full bottle or around 4-5pm to sip on while working on mise en place for dinner. Iā€™ve had luck finding halves lately of Hippolyte Sancerre which is perfect for how we like to drink them. Iā€™m less focused on red when it comes to half bottles but when I was on the Ridge Monte Bello list I enjoyed getting half bottle options and did stack a few cases of those away. We donā€™t drink much cab and when we do itā€™s tough for us to get through an entire bottle so half Monte Bello is a good option for the occasional steak night.

I have several vintages of Cantemerle, Batailley, Beaumont and Langoa Barton in 375s, from the just about ready 2009, through to to the leave it alone 2019s. Itā€™s a cheap way of checking progress and comparing qualities.

Only by a 375ml of something that is too pricey in its 750ml format. Krug resonates. Especially in springtime when the prices dip a bit. I have bought Krug 375mlā€™s for years, and the wine is still the best Champagne I have ever tasted, and the experience is still amazing. And it makes my hand look big!

I agree with most here, sweet wine and champagnes. But I have been buying recently released Bordeaux in 375 just to taste them. Iā€™m too old to wait until they are ready to drink, but Iā€™m curious about the hyped vintages lately.

I always want more half bottles than I can find. For us, half a bottle of an evening is usually ideal, so a full bottle typically has to survive 1-2 days once opened.

Oh, for those interested, Flatiron Wines has some von Winning in 375s atm

The Wine Society is my usual source.

1 Like