What are the most universal wine varieties?

+1.

In white: pairing with food → GRÜNER VELTLINER from Austria …
even more versatile than white Burg … or Riesling … and the best examples are world-class wines!

For red: although I´m not a great fan, but the most versatile red grape might be Tempranillo …
or in Austria Zweigelt or Blaufränkisch (or a cuvee of both).

Pinot noir is fine with several foods, but not so good with others …

For me - Zin. Can be drank without food, or with almost any meal depending on the Zin.

If I were invited to a blind dinner with absolutely no idea what was going to be served (French or Indian, rich or spicy, etc.) I would probably bring a bottle of Trousseau. Though strictly speaking you could say Blue Nun, as it’s universally bad with everything.

Champagne may not be ordered much in restaurants. But the question wasn’t what wines are most popular, it was what wine varieties go with the broadest selection of foods. Champagne gets my vote even though it isn’t a variety.

If choosing a specific variety, then Pinot noir.

I think you’ve got selective reading when it comes to your interpretation of the OP.

Per OP:

pleasing large groups> , etc. My first thought is champagne / sparkling - pairs well with lots of foods, > appeals to many wine enthusiasts

I read the OP to be asking what wines are both pleasing to large groups, fun for wine enthusiasts, and capable of pairing well with many foods. Hence, universal…

Not selective, just a short attention span. [blush.gif]