What are the "great" roses you've had?

Lambrays

Old World: Tempier in every vintage, and a single bottle of 2001 Pegau (never enjoyed later vintages).

New World: Eric Kent ($25 w/ shipping)

Champagne: pretty much all of them.

Lots of very good and delicious Rose, only “great” Rose I’ve tried is Tempier.

L’Anglore
Baudry

Sauvion Rose d’Anjou

Hands down the best Rose I’ve ever drank. So easy drinking, refreshing, subtle complexity, and versatile. Made from grolleau and gamay. I’ve sold over 50 cases in the last year in my little town. $12/bottle.

Lady Banks.

Domaine?

I enjoy Rose but I’ve never had one I considered “great.”

Rose Champagne is a completely different story…

I´ve never had a GREAT rosé … and I doubt there is actually one at all …
(except Champagne of course)

I´ve had “good” ones, sometimes very good ones, from Bandol, Tavel or Côtes-du-Rhône …
but my consumption is limited to 2, 4, 5 … bottles per year - I simply can do without rosé …

Clos Ste. Magdeleine Cassis Rosé in some years, it’s reached a level of complexity that I’ve not found in other Rosé

Agree with this. The one time I had it, was shockingly good!

So… perhaps someone can explain to me why this is the case. Rose shouldn’t be any less able to gain structure, complexity, express terroir, refinement, etc.

Is it that there’s no market for this? Or is there no market because no one tries?

On the lighter side.
2016 PYCM
2016 Arnot Roberts
Typically Amezoti Rubentis, but not the 2016 (hated it)

On the richer side, yet still refreshing
2016 POP 300

+1

I didn’t even think about Champagne!

I think almost none are truly outstanding. D’Esclans Garrus is the one exception I have found. I don’t think Tempier or Ott are even all that interesting, let alone great (delicious, yes, but not very complex). LdH and Cibonne get closer, but I agree that the LdH reds and whites are far better. Same with Tempier.

Now that I think about it, here are some additions…

• Rosé de Anjou (no RS, please)

Chateau d’Aqueria Tavel

Bodegas Gran Feudo Rosado, Navarra (it’s been years since my last bottle)

Domaine de Terrebrune Bandol Rosé

Billecart-Salmon Rosé Champagne

Moët & Chandon Brut Rosé Champagne (admittedly it’s been a while) :slight_smile:

By far the best roses I have had have been from Champagne and some of these have been great. In fact, probably the best Champagne I have tasted was rose - a 1979 Dom Ruinart Rose.

Beyond Champagne, I have not had a rose that I thought was great. I don’t drink that much rose, but the best I have had have been Cotat Sancere Rose and Chateau Pradeaux Bandol Rose.

Thanks all, I know there’s lots of great rose Champagne. But it seems no one is actually paying attention to the question.

Why are there very few ageworthy non-Champagne roses?

Even the best (Lopez de Heredia, Tempier, Musar, Pradeaux, Cotat, etc) don’t achieve the same heights as the reds and whites that they make.

Vince, you wrote “serious” not “age-worthy”. Regardless of the terminology, I stand by my first post stating that the 2000 LdH Rosado (which I happened to drink around late 2011 or so) is a serious AND age-worthy rosé.

You will still not be in agreement so it really doesn’t matter what other wines are posted here. Each individial gauges wines however they prefer.

Finally, I’m confused as to why your criteria of “seriousness” is to compare a producer’s rosé to their reds or whites. Not exactly a logical way of seeing things, in my opinion.

Does it really matter if, as you say, they cannot be “as good” as their red/white brethren? Perhaps the reason the reds are so good is that they bleed off juice to make their standard wine ‘better’? The best rose can/should last about a decade if not a little longer, isn’t that enough? How long is long enough?