What Allocation System Do You Like Best?

Can’t remember the last time I was even in a store

^This

this

Completely agree. I basically only buy direct. I’ll spend the same $$, but more of it goes to the producer and not various middlemen. That being said, my wine purchases are all US.

I’ll go with Jeb.

Cleverly unresponsive to the OP.

That said, retail works for many wines, for others not. I rarely buy wine through retail.

Rivers Marie and somewhat like Rhys…An even playing field with a fairly generous amount (a case to 2 cases) with the ability to special request(with Seniority getting the most requests).
Then after 2 weeks opening up to newbees with a limited first look at what is left.
There is no perfect system but I think this is the closest.

Do not like Kistlers with a “ask for what you want but we are going to adjust your order based on our criteria which we won’t tell what it is”.

Like:

1. guaranteed allocation for a period of time
  2. some upfront statement about what causes you to keep or to lose your place (e.g. must order at least once per year)
  3. shorter waiting list even if it means early allocations are more modest
  4. fairly predictable timing of when offers come out (e.g. twice a year in January and August)

Dislike:

1. mad dash to order or else you miss out
  2. early allocations only of entry-level wines, which you have to buy to move up (not really a contradiction to #3 above)
  3. bundling
  4. automatic club selections and shipments
  5. systems which are constantly changing from year to year

I like Rhys’s system best of the lists I am on except for the big disparity in allocations I receive for the blends/family farm/ bearwallow vs skyline and swan terrace. I usually receive a single bottle of the latter but in the order of 6 of the former. While I support the concept of seniority and have no problem with working my way up, I end up buying more bottles than I probably otherwise would while ending up with singles of the wines I’m most excited about. Rivers Marie isn’t guaranteed – strike against – but I I like that the allocations are much more even across the range

+1 (internet retail included)

And if what you want is gone, move on to the 50+ other things that are great. If the price goes above your pain threshold, move on to the 50+ other things that are great and within your budget.

I’m on one list only.

There is so, so much great wine out there for reasonable prices.

If you’re a die-hard Francophile, it’s amazing how little lists do for you.

Did I mention cleverly unresponsive to the OP Robert? [wink.gif]

Haha Mikey!

Lots of Carlisle, Saxum, Peter Michael, RM, et al, allocations for sale at cost on Commerce Corner! :slight_smile:

Try finding Rougeard…

The biggest hate is wineries the only do clubs and you cant modify.

I dont care who makes it i dont want your bloody Vioginer so dont make me take it

Haha Mikey!

Lots of Carlisle, Saxum, Peter Michael, RM, et al, allocations for sale at cost on Commerce Corner! :slight_smile:

Try finding Rougeard…

And of course, the best winery in the history of California, RIDGE, is as easy to find as Starbux! :wink:. But cheaper.

This is my dream also.

So help me with Rhys. What’s their method. Seemed like I finally cracked thru wait list (albeit as an “after the main allocation” group, IIRC) a year or so ago. Was offered a 3 pack of Pinot and same of Chard. When I tried to order, Pinot was sold out and I didn’t want Chard. Not a peep since, so am assuming I fell out for failing to order.

I like when they call me before anyone else and give me first shot at everything. Then they ask everyone else. Of course, that never happens.

When DRC ring me and ‘say you can have 17 dozen 1999 La Tache’. Then they call back and say ‘our mistake, Dr Weinberg has already taken them’.

morgan’s system works great at Bedrock. Once you get an offer and you purchase you are on the list. Also, he lets you know way in advance when the week window starts and you are guaranteed your allocation that week. He really takes care of his loyal customers, but he still takes care of those new on the list. This is a model that works great and I can tell is appreciated by all of his customers. Plus, he responds to everyones questions and concerns.

In contrast, I was on Albans list and finally got a small allocation of 3 bottles of Rev and then I received a postcard that there was nothing for me the next release. Plus I didn’t get another allocation after that. That is not a list I wish to be part of, so I never looked back

By the way, has there been word yet of the new release for Bedrock? I think Morgan said it would start early in August

I think Bedrock is August 5th.

Surprised no one has mentioned copain. Early each year I can log on and see all the wines and when they will release. I place my order and forget about it until the shipments show up. All I have to do is take a case minimum but I take much more. I get to control what I want and how many of each I want