What Activities INCREASE Your Wine Drinking Pleasure?

1. cooking
  2. eating

Both better with friends and/or family.

Anton D…I enjoyed reading what you wrote about your wife. Lovely stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I love wine and edibles, though almost never at the same time. More than just a little bit of edible really screws with my ability to taste wine. My palate shifts and everything starts to taste bone-dry to me. One would think the solution there is to just drink wines with a bit more RS but even those don’t taste right.

So I might enjoy some wine before the edible kicks in, but almost never both together.

Biggest thing is drinking with friends.

Drinking wine with friends on a wine trip vacation while visiting the winery and meeting the winemaker.

As mentioned above, cooking, for me, is one of my favorite activities to do while drinking wine. I think it’s a combination of the creative juices flowing, the enjoyment, the vivid other smells that then make the aromas of a wine more sharp, etc. And I’m typically hungry which can often make a wine more pleasurable.

I also find that wine enjoyment is heightened if it’s near the end of some vigorous activity, like working out or after a long day of yard work, etc. When my body has been exhausted, it seems to heighten the pleasure I derive from wine.

I’ll tell you what doesn’t: drinking great wine at the lake. It’s one of those things that you expect should be perfect for increasing the pleasure of wine. Great atmosphere, good friends, and most meals are al fresco. However, even mild to moderate winds off of the lake steal so much from the nose. Now we only drink good, but not great, wine there … except for a few bottles that are always had indoors.

Every February (this year excluded) I captain an aid station in a 71 mile trail race in the Massanuttens in VA. I make it a point to bring one or two nice bottles, and even bring decent glasses up to this hike-in aid station. It’s about 3/4 mi up a rocky trail, and we bring everything up to the top of the ridge. After we hike up, unpack, and before lighting the fire, I always open the bottle(s) I brought as a treat for those kind/crazy enough to spend the night cooking pizza in an “oven” made of the rocks that litter these mountains west of the Shenandoah while helping these runners on their journey. Sitting on that ridge as the sun starts to set, sharing wine with friends who for the most part don’t drink decent wine and seeing a few of them look amazed at what they are drinking…it’s just a very special experience.

2 Likes

Everyone reacts their own way. Usually food, drinks, etc., tend to taste better but that’s generalizing.

There’s always LSD…

But is it commutative?

1. Being with friends or family who love wine.

2. The wine having been made in Burgundy.

I think that would be more applicable to foreplay
[drinkers.gif]

Travel