What 94s are still drinking well and are accessible?

Agree with Victor, any well-made, well-stored mid-to-high-end Napa Cab (or Merlot) should be at peak or near peak (Mayacamas would still be too young). The person in your local store who said that these wines were “now past their prime” might not be the most knowledgeable wine merchant in your area.

Dan Kravitz

5 Likes

We had a '94 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet for Christmas dinner and it was doing great. Light bricking with tertiary aromas and flavors but fruit still present.

1 Like

We have bought and tried several birth-year wines for our son, who was born in 1994. For California, we have had Dunn HM, Ridge MB and Montelena in the last few years. I would recommend all without hesitation if you can find well-stored examples. I would also recommend Leoville Barton and Pichon Lalande for Bordeaux. For Port, it is hard to go wrong. Taylor and Fonseca are very expensive, but you can find Graham’s, Dow’s and Warre’s for much less. Enjoy the hunt!

1 Like

I had the '94 Riojanas Monte Real Reserva. Not as traditional as one would expect. New oak was prominent and a bit too jammy. So unlike their wines from the 70s.

Dominus '94 has been my favorite Napa Cab since it’s release. Over the past three years I’ve purchased 3 cases at auction. Starting to show some signs of browning, but still rocking. I was lucky enough to pour a glass for Christian Moueix and have him sign the label a couple years ago at a dinner in Chicago.

4 Likes

There are a lot of Chateauneuf-du-Papes drinking fine now, Pegau, Clos des Papes, Beaucastel, La Nerthe, Gardine - as well as Guigals LaLas, Chave and Clape.
Some good Bordeaux like Las Cases, Latour, L Eglise Clinet - but overall not a great vintage here.

If you want to try something different that definitely won’t break the bank, well stored Ravenswood Monte Rosso Zinfandel is REALLY good.

2 Likes

I’ve had in last month 1994 Dunn, Jarvis, Dalla Valle, Oakford and all have been exceptional. I am a regular buyer of 94’s at auction and rarely have been disappointed (and when so it was most likely a provenance issue).

1 Like

Some library mags from Ravenswood offer last month would hit the spot. I know I grabbed a couple ‘94 merlots. He could reach out to O&F and see if any are left. Joel may be able to hook it up for the occasion. Never hurts to ask.

2 Likes

Had my last ‘94 Mondavi Reserve a couple of years ago. It was a beauty and still had plenty of life left.

1 Like

I’ve had several 94s recently and they were all good to very good. Take a peek at winebid and have at it.

1 Like

1994 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon was fantastic with Christmas dinner a few days ago…

2 Likes

I don’t think this person has been drinking ‘94 Napa cabs

4 Likes

Lots of great suggestions, including L’evangile which is terrific and can come up at auction for <$100. Both red and white Tondonia Gran Reservas are brilliant but babies… and also getting quite pricey.

1 Like

I know where you had the Grahams :grin:

1 Like

Regarding wine store person saying '94 Napa Cabs are past their prime, did this wine store actually have properly stored Napa Cabs from the early 90’s for sale? I’ve had a few '94s and it can be hit and miss but you can definitely find some good ones. Not sure what your price range is but Vinfolio has '94 Berigner and Lewis in the $150 price range. Benchmark has a few in that price range like Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon 1994 which looks like it’s drinking well, plus some nicer ones in the $200-$300 range. You’re not likely to find anything under $100 that I would trust. If I were you I’d buy a couple in that $150 range and you’ll likely get a good bottle.

1 Like

Add Dalla Valle to the list

3 Likes

Zind Humbrecht SGN is one of the best sweet wines ever.Has bested Yquem in blind tastings.
Spottswood cab is drinking well

1 Like

I’ll add Rauzan Segla as a 1994 that I’ve greatly enjoyed

Out of self interest, I thank you for this post.

4 Likes