West Coast Trilogy

Unplanned. Went to Friend’s house. Her brother shows up. I am ordered to the basement to come back with the Good Stuff. She’s got it!

2018 Patricia Green Cellars Chardonnay ‘Durant’ - I guess I knew they made Chardonnay? Never had one. Bad mistake rectified.
Light gold color. Aromas are mostly Granny Smith apple with a floral hint and a touch of coriander. The palate is lovely. There is some real weight, I think this might have gone through (partial?) malolactic. The texture is solid but still also lacy, the flavors offer lovely piquancy and vibrant acidity. There is a hint of citrus (blood orange?) in the background. This is rich, balanced, subtle. Rated 93.

2015 Upchurch Cabernet Sauvignon Red Mountains - Almost opaque black/purple. The aromas are open but not explosive, featuring a rich helping of violets along with lots of black cherry and noticeable but not obtrusive oak. The palate offers remarkable breadth, mouth-coating from lips to glottis and cheek to cheek. The density is intense and impressive but not to a fault. The finish is moderately long. This is excellent today, but hopefully will gain subtlety with time. Rated 93, up to 3 points of improvement possible over 10 years. Should live 30+ years. Almost sorry I opened it this young.

2013 Domaine Eden Cabernet Sauvignon Santa Cruz Mountains - Medium dark ruby color. This is lighter but better than the previous bottle. The aromas are somehow both vigorous and mellow, the currants, roses and black pepper showing secondary characteristics. The palate doesn’t have the breadth of the previous, but has more vigor and lift. The combination of youth and maturity is irresistible. The finish is longest of the three. Rated 94, probably at a peak it should hold for 5 - 10 years, but eventually the Upchurch could surpass it.

OR, WA, CA… thank you Pacific Coast!

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

Thanks for the notes, Dan.