West Coast Syrah

I’ve only recently started buying some of these wines. Lagier Meredith’s Mt. Veeder Syrah gets my vote for very high quality while still priced for normal people. I haven’t tried my 2005s or 2006s but a recent bottle of their 2002 Mt. Veeder was exactly what I was hoping for – balanced intensity, no exaggeration. Bottle aging recommended for maximum pleasure.

I’m also looking forward to trying my bottles from Peay and Rudius but I’m holding off because i assume that they’re still on the young side (2005-06).

Great point, Frank. They were pouring several vintages at HdR and it was quite obvious that with some time, these Syrahs were absolutely fantastic. The components are all there from the start, but let them rest, and they are singing.

Scherrer, Dehlinger, Copain, and Carlisle come to mind.

Oops, how could I forget one of the wines that probably takes up more space in my cellar than any other individual label. Lagier Meredith makes one of the best, most consistent, most ageworthy Syrahs in California.

Edmunds St John

Loi,
Kimberly makes a good point with Westerhold Family Vineyards syrah.
At Hospice du Rhone this year, all the winemakers brought a bottle of their syrah for a tasting shoot-out and then they served as the judges - the Westerhold was the winner.
I think it speaks volumes about a wine when most of your competition picks it out as the one they think best.
Best, Jim

Jim,

Great points about the ShootOut . . . but just understand that there was no wine that raced far ahead of any others. This wine did ‘win’ but second place was a single point behind - and there was a tie there. The next three wines, from what I understand, were 1-2 points behind that one.

The Westerhold was quite nice, but, to me, more on the ‘riper’ side of things . . .

Just an observation . . .

Cheers!

any of the Big basins. the 07 fairview is a great wine for under $40. the rattlesnake is great also but needs 5+ years in the bottle before its ready

Copain and Carlisle dominate my cellar in terms of Syrah, but I think Qupe deserves some attention. His Bien Nacido “Hillside Estate” Syrah are worth seeking out if you can find it. The only that keeps me from loading up on them is price. He also has a nice Stolpman for about $35.

Recommend Myriad Syrah and just about anything out of the Las Madres Vineyard in Carneros (Vie, Quivet, Nicholson Ranch,. etc.) Best one tasted recently, and very reasonably priced, was the 2008 Myriad 100% Whole Cluster, a gorgeous wine.

Larry,
I’m gathering you were there. I was not.
Which wines came second, third - the ones that were close to the top?
BTW, I have had the Westerhold several times as I work in the winery where it was made and actually helped sort the fruit. If you ever have the chance, you might enjoy seeing the property and talking with John Westerhold. I have never met a more committed grower nor one more attuned to his vines.
Russell say he is the ideal grower to make wine for.
Best, Jim

Jim, I wasn’t at the Shoot-Out either, but a recent HdR press release noted that the two wines tied for second place were from Four Vines and Herman Story - so those would most likely be pretty big wines as well.

http://www.hospicedurhone.org/news-and-press/syrah-shoot-out.php

Congratulations to Russell Bevan of Westerhold Family Vineyards for taking home the sought after Coat du Rhône from the 2010 HdR Syrah Shoot-Out. His winning wine was the 2007 Westerhold Family Vineyards Syrah from the Bennett Valley AVA of Sonoma, California. For more information on the wine and the winemaker, visit the Westerhold Family Vineyards website.

2010 Syrah Shoot-Out Participating Wineries (DOESN"T SAY WHICH BOTTLING PARTICIPATED)
Alere Vineyards
Alta Colina
Ancient Peaks
Anglim Winery
Bella Vineyards
Caliza Winery
Carmichael
Cass Winery and Vineyard
DeLILLE CELLARS & Doyenne
Denner Vineyards
E. Guigal
Eberle Winery
Edward Sellers Vineyards & Wines
Epiphany Cellars
Four Vines Winery - Tie for Second Place
Gramercy Cellars
Graves Winegrowers
Greg Norman Estates
Herman Story Wines - Tie for Second Place
Hug Cellars
J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines
Jada Vineyard & Winery
JC Cellars
Jonata Winery
JUSTIN Winery
Kaleidos
KATIN
La Motte
Miner Family Winery
Mounts Family Winery
Robert Hall Winery
Rocca Family Vineyards
Rosenblum Cellars
Silver
TAZ Vineyards
Tercero Wines
Venteux Vineyards
Vie Winery
Vins D’ Orrance
Westerhold Family Vineyards - First Place
Zaca Mesa

Thanks all for great suggestions! To the wine store (or the internet wineshops) I go. Hopefully I wont break the bank! [cheers.gif]

Herman Story White Hawk and Larner are excellent.
Bevan
Stolpman
Carlisle
Culler
Samsara
Ampelos

Stefania, Big Basin and Rhys

Jim,

Had a chance to hang out with John at HdR a few times . . . extremely nice guy -though he needs to quiet down some so I can hear Russell talk ever now and then blahblah blahblah

The Shootout is always an interesting event - and one that seems to cater more towards wines that ‘stand out’ for one reason or another - sometimes for better, sometimes for worse . . .

What was interesting to me was that at least 1/3 of the wines, to me, were quite faulty - elevated levels of VA and EA were the biggest culprits . . . I am convinced, though, that many are ‘forgiving’ when it comes to this and syrah, especially from regions north of us . . .

Cheers!

[rofl.gif]

ESJ
Cayuse
Betz
Grammercy

I knew SOMEONE would find that funny [cheers.gif]