Weird letter from SQN

I get the same type of note from SQN, only it’s in reference to still being on their waiting list. I think it’s kind of funny.

Totally agree here w/ you, Neal.
Tom

I think you answered your question! I didn’t think people were complaining or ‘offended’ but lord is it heavy on the “self-flagellation” its like, 'Oh gosh…man we’re like, soooooo sorrrryyyy, oh man I mean, like gosh." And then the “we are working diligently at getting you into the fold as soon as is possible” as if yields would have been just a bit higher this year they could got everybody in! It sounded super silly for a waiting list of this length. The whole thing is comically overwrought, certainly nothing offensive as keeping people in the loop is 100% welcome and appreciated. The Dunnuck plug was weird.

Don’t think this is at all what the message is, Andy. It’s just a rather strange way, w/ weak humor, to letting them know that they are not high enough
on the mailing list to receive an offer this time around. Says nothing about others higher on the mailing list are more important.

Manfred & Elaine run a first class operation. They’re fully aware how much in demand their wines are. They do a great job at the
customer relations…better than almost any cult wine operation of which I know.
Tom

This. Ryan is spot on.just like other ‘high end’ wineries, some is most likely set aside not only for those accounts that have stood by from the get-go, but for new, potentially ‘influential’ accounts.

Kudos to them.

Cheers.

I understand both sides

nice for Manfred to say we have not forgotten u

yet Mr. Leichtman feels like he is being teased in a way (we really want to give u some but we can’t so try the open market)

though I have No problem with this letter…he took time out to attempt a thoughtful letter for those who unfortunately are forced to wait patiently.

SQN is first class all the way insofar as customer service. The 10 year waiting list? I don’t know. It seems like they could cut that down a bit without a problem, but that list is one of the things that gives them pent up demand. Or it used to. The secondary market has caught up to their release prices (with the 100 point wines as an exception) so now people can buy their wines at retail and the waiting list dries up (see: Harlan).

Yeah, and the other thing with the Dunnuck plug. Kinna strange and maybe a conflict of interest? Or just Manfred being Manfred. Your choice.

Larry,

As a producer I value your input in this so let me ask this. Would you put out something like that one sentence that tells people sorry go find it somewhere else in a restaurant or retailer?

And to be clear, I have no issues with the overall letter. I have issues with that one sentence that is telling people they are not as important as some others so go get it from them. That’s the message being sent. It’s very nice of SQN to communicate as much as they do. However, that one sentence does not and should not be in a letter to a potential customer, IMO.

And I agree with Mr. Stevenson comments…

SQN is first class all the way insofar as customer service. The 10 year waiting list? I don’t know. It seems like they could cut that down a bit without a problem, but that list is one of the things that gives them pent up demand. Or it used to. The secondary market has caught up to their release prices (with the 100 point wines as an exception) so now people can buy their wines at retail and the waiting list dries up (see: Harlan).

Yeah, and the other thing with the Dunnuck plug. Kinna strange and maybe a conflict of interest? Or just Manfred being Manfred. Your choice.

They have reached the point where if they are not careful people will simply walk away from their mailing list because what’s the point when you can easily get them anyways. When people do that they tend not to buy nearly as much because they don’t have to to stay on the mailing list. A good way to quickly erode your fan base and drive business down in the long run.

Andy, what’s your real beef with SQN? Even though 2017 is a delicate time, there’s no way you can be offended that Manfred tells his waitlist that he distributes a portion of his production to restaurant and retail. I can’t think of one highly regarded producer who distributes 100% to private individuals. I also can’t imagine someone on the waitlist begrudging someone who signed up before they did for getting offers before they do.

Clint
You are very mistaken. I have no “beef” with SQN at all. Pretty much most wine folk who would buy a wine such as SQN know that most producers sell some to retail type stores. But those producers also don’t tell people to go find it somewhere else that isn’t from us.

Again, as the old saying goes; It’s not what you say, but how you say it.

BTW, I have no idea what you mean by “Even though 2017 is a delicate time…”. Can you elaborate please?

But isn’t the message being communicated “we are sorry you can’t get any directly from us, but there are other sources that sell to the end user and you might be able to score a bottle from them” ??? And isn’t that pointing out that just because a person can’t get it directly from SQN, that there may still be options to acquire/drink the wine?

#overthinking

All this means is to be in the lookout for retail soon. When the wines were $100 they would vanish off retail shelves immediately and because of the postcards I always knew when to start looking. Its not as relevant now really as the wines can be found some bit of time for at least close to release price.
One time I had a dispute with my local retailer over release pricing and Elaine offered to sell me direct even though I was years away from the list. The comfort level on pricing is certainly pushing it, but as others have said its about the classiest operation there is.

As with all marketing, you can’t win them all. I welcome the outrage, because I’m about 4 years into my 10-15 years sentence… the more people who drop interest, the sooner I get an offer :slight_smile:

I was not offended by the letter. Just found the wording weird. Go to a restaurant and buy it. Not usually something a winery tells me to do.

As someone on the waiting list for about ten years, I can say the 'but perhaps you can snag one somewhere – at a favorite restaurant or top-notch retailer. is total bullshit and although true, this just seems smug to actually say out loud the waitlisters. A simple ‘sorry, not enough’ would suffice and actually be much more appreciated. I think it’s a quiet way to thin the waitlist that in by doing so they will most certainly piss some off.

Cheerios

I personally think it’s ridiculous so many people are so sensitive to the way the message from Elaine and Manfred is worded. People seem to love to slam SQN, from the people who don’t like the style who are incredibly verbal about it to no end, and now everyone here who is complaining about the letter. The intent of the letter is to update people which is exactly what it does. Not too many wineries do this. With most, you put your name on a waitlist then you wait ages and don’t hear from them until you are offered an allocation. I have been on the waitlist for SE for years never gotten any letter and have left two messages with no return call. Would you prefer this ? On the few occasions where I hadn’t yet ordered and the deadline was approaching Elaine herself called me on the phone and inquired to see if I still wanted it. Can you name me another winery that does that ? They certainly don’t have to as they could easily sell it to someone on the waitlist. Just shows me that no good deed goes unpunished…

“Isn’t it pretty to think so?”

lol

I’m not Clint, but perhaps he means a return to the Victorian Era when people had ‘delicate sensitivities’? Either that, or he has found evidence that lace is coming back into fashion and this could be his way of intoning an upcoming market opportunity?

I almost shot my coffee out my nose :slight_smile: