Weekly Beer Focus - Imperial Stouts, Mar 25 - Apr 3

Victory Storm King
At first the aroma seemed normal/standard but then I got some strange sweet fruit. Maybe fig. At first I wasn’t crazy about it but it kind of grew on me. This is not super big but it does carry a good amount of booze. Overall it is decent. I am going to stash a bottle and check back in 12/24 months.

Chris, I will confirm their Imperial status before getting wasted!!

I love this beer, but sometimes go more than a year between tastings because it’s just so damn heavy.

Yeh, the Storm King is very good, but it a beast.

I tried that for the first time earlier this month. I’ll cross post my note from the other thread here also.

Victory Storm King Imperial Stout - 9.1% ABV - This one also carries its alcohol very well. Smooth and easy, going down quickly. There is a bitterness on the back end that didn’t really seem hopped but I don’t know where else it would come from. There is sort of a oat presence on the nose. Well put together though it lacks some complexity or interest. A good quaf.

Well put. I’ll steal your note. I did get the bitterness I found akin to bitter sweet chocolate.

Storm king is definitely a VERY hopped RIS. It is Victory brewing’s highest IBU beer that they offer. It is a great example of a RIS in my oppinion.

And for all those wondering about the SN30 stout, it is definitely an imperial. IIRC, all of the SN30’s were imperial brews.

I thought so as well. Sooooooooooooooooo tasty!!

2008 Bourbon County Brand Stout

Bottled 10/08/08. Pours almost jet black with no head. Still heavy on the bourbon flavors, but I wouldn’t call it boozy. The stout base definitely takes a back seat to the bourbon but I’m sure that is the point. It lives up to its name. This is all about bourbon and oak, which works for me as an every once in a while sipper.

Samuel Smith’s Imperial Stout

In a word: outstanding. Nose of molasses and chocolate. An amazing richness for 7%. Slight bitterness that doesn’t linger at all. Just the right amount of sweetness. A finish that just stays around just long enough and then disappears completely, leaving you wanting more. I’ve had this bottle in my fridge for months but I’ve just been passing it over for other things. I am an idiot.

I had this a while back and I agree about the bitter finish. I likened it to a bitter coffee flavor, which doesn’t agree with me. Whatever it was it was just not for me. My strong dislike of coffee is really brought to focus by a lot of these stouts.

For some reason I didn’t know or didn’t remember this is 7%. Feels far lower but I suppose an Imperial isn’t going much lower than that. Good stuff.

Grand Teton Brewing Black Cauldron Imperial Stout - 8% ABV - Strong malted dark chocolate aromas and plenty of the same flavors. Notes of dark roast coffee beans. Nice light feeling finish without a bunch of weight or bite making it almost clean with just enough bitterness to keep it interesting. Nice dark chocolate flavors at the finish. This got somewhat better on the second night. A strong entry even though its not a wow of intensity or complexity. Very nice.

Founders Breakfast Stout

Oatmeal, coffee, chocolate. There is a lot going on here and I think it blends very well. Not as rich as the Samuel Smith’s and this has about as much coffee as I can handle, but I like this one still.

I love this beer!! Is this available in Cali?

Nice write up. I am only my second Imp. Stout (The Yeti) and I am already longing for something withe balance of a Sam Smith.

J

Unfortunately, no. Founders hasn’t made it out here yet. Maybe someday.

Thanks. Was the Yeti bad? Not worth writing about? I have an Oak Aged Yeti sitting in my fridge that I was thinking about opening for the focus.

I love the oak aged yetis, but they are power houses. I especially love the espresso yeti but it is bitter unless you give it some age.

Sent from mobile

To me this may be the most balanced stout out there. Loooooove it

Sent from mobile