Week 5 Virtual Tasting Series for Charity - Craft Beer Intermezzo for McMinnville Education Foundation

Duckpin Pale Ale
Having crab cakes in Baltimore, so it’s beer time. This was rather hoppy, but with the food I was OK with it. Light, refreshing and with a bit of a citrus edge on the finish.
55B5B8A1-0E12-4BA4-8DD0-64228A2CEA39.jpeg

I suck at wine tasting notes, so a beer tasting note is gonna be a massive disappointment!

Tentbier - a collaboration between Heater Allen and Modern Times (so it counts as a TN for Heater Allen!). Head has a cream color to it, likely because the beer itself has a slight amber hue - the head quickly dissipates. Technically this is a German Marzen/Oktoberfest, so that explains the darker color, from my limited experience with Oktoberfest bier. The nose smells quite malt-heavy, and I love that (I’m all about the malt, skip all that bitter hops garbage!) It has a pleasant nuttiness in the flavor profile, more malt, and some allspice. I love the mouthfeel, as it has just enough weight to it that it’s not a gulping beer, so one is forced to sip and enjoy it, and it’s tremendously creamy.

I’m happy I finally had a chance to try some Heater Allen (ish) beer - thanks to Bud!
fullsizeoutput_2461.jpeg

• Wayfinder Hell Lager (from can) - similar to my prior note on this beer from draft, but the grass notes were more pronounced, body was a touch thinner, and finish was really short. Greatly preferred on draft

• Block 15 Fresh Pow! IPA (from can) - New winter seasonal IPA with Azacca, Chinook, New Zealand Cascade, Mosaic and Apollo hops. OJ with a touch of herbaceousness on the nose; mango, blueberry and dank pine; hops are not very bitter until the finish where they bludgeon the short finish. Ok, but prefer their summer seasonal IPA, Fresh Flow.

• Anchorage Brewing Bitter Monk Belgian-Style Double IPA with brettanomyces - Citra Dry Hopped Version Batch #6 (from 375 ml bottle) - this is aged in French Oak Chardonnay barrels and the nose is all slightly oxidized Chardonnay + brett; waves of citrus and Brett with a blunted dose of spicy hops followed by a medium, somewhat creamy and slightly bitter finish. Always enjoy this beer and a 375 ml bottle is the perfect amount.

Sheela is insisting we drink good wine for the next few days, but I’ll be back with a few more TNs before the 26th. Thanks again Rick for doing this!
DEC96996-F070-4732-BB9B-0B4EFFD97DFE.jpeg

Collab ipa between pueblo vida and modern times. Clean and easy to drink. Nothing special about it, down the middle crushable.
F5428629-5CD9-4C73-AD68-6A7124F0D8D4.jpeg

2018 Monkish Enter the Fog Dog.
from can release 9/8/18. Triple IPA with Citra, Galaxy, and Nelson hops. 10.0% abv.
Hazy dark golden color. Nose ripe orange with subdued hops, nice dankness with a tropical fruit sweetness. Palate crisp orange with hints of grapefruit pith bitterness, great fruity flavor, finish lightly hoppy. Impressive balance and depth, still holding strong to my palate, delightful. 92 pts
–thanks to fellow board member bryan c for the can trade. perhaps it’s the triple IPA stuffing giving it more longevity, but I thought this was chugging along well even 3 months after can release.
IMG_3730.jpg
On tap at Mikkeller Bar in LA, Heater Allen Rauch Bock on the left, Pils on the right. Btw, the food at Mikkeller Bar was very good; they house smoke items like the pastrami and pork, and had a very interesting selection of cheese including Rush Creek Reserve (runny, complex, funky and delicious).

Heater Allen Pils. Czech style Pilsner, 5.2% abv
Richly amber golden color with good persistent head. Nose lightly sour citrus and honey, some floral notes. Palate smooth initial hops and hints of golden fruit, finish pronounced almost nutty classic lager flavor. Very clean and refreshing, sessionable, great balance as well.

Heater Allen Rauch Bock. Smoked German style lager, 6.5% abv
Dark caramel color with light head. Nose sweet malts. Palate chocolate and coffee tones with a faint hoppy finish, impeccable balance — has the flavors of a stout but a delicately light body, crisp and refreshing. Very nice, great with hearty food.

and then, also on tap at Mikkeller Bar:

Hill Farmstead Anna. Saison w wildflower honey. 6.4% abv
Light golden color. Very faint head. Nose peach, floral, some citrus pith and lemon. Palate lightly fizzy nectarine, light body with a malty finish, brightness lemony, amazing balance. Exceptional.

Hill Farmstead Arthur. Farmhouse ale.
Light golden color. Very faint head. Nose citrusy, hint of barnyard wildness, great depth, honey and some mead notes. Ethereal tart peach, malty depth. Perfect balance. Exceptional, one of the best beers I’ve had this year.

Awesome that you get Hill Farmstead out there.

Lost Abbey Veritas 015 - Sour Ale with Apricots, Nectarines and Peaches.
Golden orange, stone fruit heaven with medium funk. Damn smells amazing.
Palate is saliva inducing acidity, with apricots dominating the flavor when served fridge cold. As it warms up, nectarine and peach comes out. I always find that in any apricot/nectarine/peach combo, the apricot comes out when cold and warms to fuzzy peach.
Anyhow, wow… loved it…
IMG_0887.jpg

Thank you for taking the week and doing this, Rick. Here are a couple, using a few beers that had been hostage in my fridge for what is a few years I believe. I didn’t care for either one, as they just aren’t my style but wanted to help support the thread here. Happy holidays, everyone.

• 2014 Stone Brewing Company Fyodor’s Classic Imperial Russian Stout - USA, California, South Coast, San Diego County (12/21/2018)
    I didn’t enjoy this. It tastes like melted caramel, brewed coffee and milk chocolate. I actually like stouts but I have to be in the right mood for them but I am not sure I would ever take to this particular beer.
  • 2014 The Bruery Sucré - New American Oak - USA, California, South Coast, Orange County (12/21/2018)
    Has a maple quality, some butterscotch and and a Kahlua liqueur note in the finish. There is some acidity here that helps balance all that flavor, allowing the beer to have some ‘bite’.

Posted from CellarTracker

2018 floodland brewing. One of the very best new breweries in the US. Good luck getting a bottle as they sell mostly through a 250 people bottle club with a 3000ish person waitlist. Kinda like MACDONALD actually.

Anyways. Just so easy to drink.and that is how Adam the brewer wants it. Made with cab franc in collaboration with Travis at Kobayashi winery. Delicious.
9406E214-A14A-46DD-81D4-7E32A1654B48.jpeg

Lawson brewing. Maple nipple amber ale.
Burnt sugar. Caramel. Hint of bitterness on finish. Pretty tasty but I’m also not taking careful notes anymore. Definitely would drink again.
94E8AE20-A3BF-40A6-85E7-637BB731A198.jpeg

I thought that was a Maine Beer Co bottle at first glance.

This one is seriously dangerous.
Nightmare Brewing
Quadruple Dry Hopped Imperial IPA (w/ Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy, Nelson & Citra)
10% ABV

Nose really jumps out of the glass with a lot of ripe stone fruit and ripe ripe tangerines.
Goes down way too easily. It’s a big beer, but tastes very clean with the same flavors from the nose. A sweet clementine/tangerine juice with a hint of mangoes. Slight hop burn on swallow that actually helps the beer finish cleanly. Extremely drinkable even at 10%, and doesn’t really taste boozy but it will make you feel a little warm and tingly as it goes down.
This is one that can hold its own against the big boys in the game (Trillium, Tree House, etc…)

As much as I enjoy this beer (and am glad to still have one bottle left), I liked the Marsanne and Pinot Noir beers even more. Agree that his beers are so easy drink, while being flavorful and interesting. They really float my boat. Glad I’m in the club!

Went to my local beer monger and he had two cases of Pliny the Elder in front of the register with a sign saying “one per customer”. Alright, I’ll take mine.

Strong pine sap and needles. Light citrus and a lemon rind finish. Definitely the longest finish for a beer, quite impressive.

Latitude 33 Mangoveza

Hint of mango on the nose, not sweet at all. Medium weight and a spicy red pepper note on the palate. Nice counter to the garlic wings.

WTF is Kombucha? 7% ABV grapefruit, hibiscus and heather. Aromas like a cocktail, maybe aperol. Reminds me of a flavored seltzer from the mouthfeel. Pink grapefruit and herbal flavors. Very refreshing. Great summer drink.
20181222_170948_HDR~2.jpg

A few more for the cause.

• NV Beachwood Brewing Breaker Pale Ale - USA, California, South Coast, Orange County (12/22/2018)
    Smooth with a powerful pine-infused core. Finishes spicy, pungent and tangy.
  • NV Lost Abbey Citrus Sin - USA, California, South Coast, San Diego County (12/22/2018)
    This was listed as a ‘sour’ but reminds me of one–a mix of citrus and a cool sour profile. Medium weight and fresh in flavor. Enjoyable.

Posted from CellarTracker

With the tap board from earlier today…

Flying Fish Grand Cru Winter Reserve - I don’t drink a lot of craft beer so no detailed notes but I did enjoy this. It had a lot of depth with malt and spice. Didn’t notice the 7% alcohol.

Took a mid-afternoon bike ride to take me by this up-and-coming brewery on the home stretch. Had some new-to-me lagers on the board and in honor of Rick I decided to go for a flight with three lagers and an oldie but goodie NE style IPA. Took a few notes on the back of the flight slip but left them on the bar.
Boot Bier, German Pils, 5%. What a beautiful beer: aroma, flavor, refreshment. The brewmaster/wizard Jason happened to be having a late lunch at the end of the counter and was nice enough to share a few comments about this beer, which he was having himself with his lunch. One malt, one hop, on yeast (I think he mentioned Weihenstepaner). Also stressed the importance of the water and said his beer would be similar to a northern German Pils. Delicious.
Dry Hopped Pils, 5% . The same recipe as the above with the addition of dry hopped Citra. For me changed the beer dramatically. A little hazy, a little lemony, flavor not as pure as the Boot Bier;but still a very nice refreshing beer.
Lateral Lines, American Lager, 5.5%. Cascade. Reflect on the many ordinary (or less than) American lagers that you have subjected yourself to over your life. Now imagine the ordinary transformed to extraordinary. That is this beer. Familiar but not at this level. Wow.
Island Haze NE IPA, 7,5% . Kind of a “what the hell is this?” transition to this long time favorite after the three lagers. Hazy like pineapple juice mixed with grapefruit juice. Little lighter and less flavorful than usual, although the flavor spoke up as my palate was cleansed (?) by the IPA. Nice citric flavors, didn’t feel the alcohol until after I paid up and got back on my bike. Fortunately, a short safe ride home.
P.S. I have seen numerous references to Rick and his beer on WB, but never really checked it out. I have now. Nice lineup. Wish we had stopped by when we were out in McMinnville in September. Next time.

Hill farmstead society and solitude 5 - hazy golden yellow. medium weight. Med bitterness on finish. Quite fresh and tasty. Easily crushed.
239D07D3-1466-48B8-A8BE-B557A0BD5D44.jpeg