Week 4 Virtual Tasting Series for Charity - Outside Your Comfort Zone for Against Malaria Foundation Dec 18-25th

Like Ilkka, I wouldn’t say Jura is out of my comfort zone, especially in the dessert category, but I don’t get to try this often at all. Petit Manseng

2011 Jardins du Babylone

My other contribution, as I was pretty sure Victor had never had it. This was a surprising contrast to the 2010 bottle I had a couple years ago. Where that bottle was pretty thick and rich, this one had a lot more acid carry. Stan gets pineapple which I can see, along with some apricot and tangerine and a misting of ginger. I have saved some off to try over the next few days. A very solid effort always unique.

Although I’ve been collecting since the mid-70’s, I don’t think I’ve ever bought a Spanish wine (other than some wonderful Sandeman sherries) except a couple of times to bring to tastings with a Spanish wine theme. Always looking for half bottles, when Envoyer offered half bottles of the 2007 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia for $20, I ordered a couple. I had the first Friday night, and wish I had ordered in bulk. Not a big wine, but full and balanced, drinking perfectly (for my tastes) at the moment. It fell off a bit the second night, so I would not plan on extended aging, although other reviews forecast a lengthy period of drinkability. While this would not induce me to buy more Spanish wines, as I’m trying to reduce my cellar, not increase it, I would buy more of this wine.
2007 De  Lopez.jpg

2016 Sylvain Cathiard Coteaux Bourguignons Les Croix Blanches

Based on google, its a field blend of roughly 2/3 Pinot, 1/3 Gamay (though I have seen some differing numbers) from around Vosne. My first experience with such a pinot/gamay blend and with a Coteaux Bourguignons generally. Might have been slightly reduced upon opening as it was not showing much. A few days later, I’d say its dominated by tart cherry/cranberry with a subtle spice. More tannic than I expected. Fun to try, and likely better with food than without.

Added Dec 24th . . . I was in no rush to finish this wine and recorked it. Just opened to drink the final glass or two after three days untouched on the counter. This wine is now very good with the fruit and spice now dominant and the acid playing quietly in the background. Humbling! Baffling! Discouraging! Is trying to get a wine to show well a total game of chance? With me it seems so. Between waiting for the proper age, taking care to possibly aerate, and being careful about the serving temperature I seem to not get it right. . . . I am enjoying this wine though. Be grateful for a glass or two I suppose. Nothing to do but keep at it.

This wine was better the next day, or at least I liked it better. The fruit was still primary, but there was more acid in evidence and the flavors became more defined. I may pick up another bottle or two, and see how this does with a little bit of age.

1224191905c.jpg
Fiano di Avellino. Ok but nothing to write a note about. Just ok wine. Not notable fruit. Negligible aroma. It was a 2011 so maybe just dead.

Okay, I’ll play champagne.gif

Meinklang 2018 ‘Mulatschak’ Macerated White (Orange), Burgenland
This is an orange wine, made with pinot gris and trainer. Single glass served chilled and consumed over a 30 minute period. An interesting wine for sure - and one that I would not normally order but I was at a new spot in Santa Barbara, Pearl Social, that replaced Las Marchands, the groundbreaking wine bar started by a couple of guys featured in the original Somm movie. Though the room was dimly lit, it was clear that this wine had an orange / deep pink hue which I really found interesting. On first smell, the traminer was quite noticeable - very Gewurz like and I enjoyed it. But then a pretty strong hint of ethly acetate kicked in, marring all other aromas. As it warmed, these two aromas ‘battled’ with each other - and perhaps if I was not a winemaker, the EA would not have been as off putting, but . . . The wine had a nice medium body with some fruit, though not as much as I expected, and some noticeable acidity and bitterness from the skin contact. Altogether, an interesting wine but one I won’t search out again . . .

Cheers!

Couldn’t resist after seeing the theme. Stopped into a liquor store to pick up a bottle of MD 20/20. Definitely out of my comfort zone. Little did I know there were so many “flavors” to choose from. So I went with:

MD 20/20 Electric Melon: Vintage unknown, presumably last month. Perfect fill and screwcap. Pop and pour, served at refrigerator temperature. Cotton candy pink, no fading at the rim. Fortunately the nose is somewhat subdued by the temperature - sickly sweet Jolly Rancher candy with hints of antifreeze. Disgusting sweetness not at all integrated with sharp citrus-y acidity on the palate, a mix of Jolly Rancher and Sour Patch Kids. No oak or tannins present. Finish, brief as it was after immediately spitting and pouring the rest down the sink, was altogether too long. Possibly better used as a spray to control Anopheles populations. Drinking window: never.

Apologies for being AWOL most of this week, wrapping up work for the year and Christmas took more of my time than planned!

Many thanks to all who contributed to this, especially to those of you who posted photos and/or really pushed their limits (as crazy as David Glasser must be!). I realize in hindsight that “outside your comfort zone” probably isn’t a great Christmas pairing since we’re mostly looking for great wines to drink at this time of year. I’ll pick a different week next year so that I can both be more present and hopefully up the participation a little.

Summary:
I counted roughly $175 worth of notes, which I’ve decided I’m going to double and make $350. So, $350 + $350 from my employer means $750 to the Against Malaria Foundation for notes! That’ll purchase ~350 insecticide-treated mosquito nets and save many people from the pain and suffering (physical and financial) of a malaria infection, as well as possibly the lives of younger children. Thank you again!

Some note responses:

David Glasser: I’m disgusted for you when reading that note! It sounds truly horrible, but I am duly impressed at your dedication to the theme!

Jim Stewart: Very interesting. I’d guess that the tomato sauce potentially pushed the acid over the top when you had it with that, but it sounds like in general the bottle just needs more time. Very glad it improved on day 3 (?) though.

David Lewin: I’m surprised that the bottle fell off the second night, most people (myself included) usually think these have a very long life. Great choice to start with for Spanish wine though!

Mike Grammar and IlkkaL: Both of your Jura wines sound interesting, and both are well outside my knowledge too.

Frank Murray III: I’ve never heard of baco noir, let alone tried it before. Thanks for pushing things here! Watermelon is certainly an unusual flavor profile in a wine like this.

Pat K and brigcampbell: Thanks for jumping into the thread twice!

Joe, it was fun. Last time I had MD 20/20 it was presented blind with a big build up to try to snooker the experts. It didn’t. I was surprised to see how many flavors are now available.