Week 4 - Virtual Tasting Series - Craft Beer Intermezzo

Just finished a Bells Mars. It does not taste like a 10% beer, I really wish it was a regular production beer.
Consumed at cellar temp which is just about right, the fridge is too cold.

More beer than usual this weekend. Tonight, Transmitter OH1 - collaboration dry hopped Pilsener with Other Half. A very well crafted Pilsener and as such with no where to hide, the dryness and austerity of this appparent. Very good overall.

Modern Times & Highland Park Brewery: “Finally Open in Los Angeles” IPA

I think that’s the name of this beer, but I’m not sure — it’s not very obvious. This is a hazy IPA clocking in at 8.0%, so probably best to call it a DIPA, really. Brewed with citrus, and that citrus note is obvious. Obvious west coast influence on this east coast style — good bite to it. Flavors are predominately orange and peach. Excellent. Thanks to Bud for hooking me up with this can.

Side Project (Shared) Late Heavy Bombardment IPA. Shared is the line Side Project produces that doesn’t fit into its normal program (all BA, amongst other requirements). So, this was described as an East Coast meets West Coast IPA, but it’s mostly an East Coast style IPA, and very nice. Fresh, with fruit and floral notes in the hops. I liked it a good bit but by the fourth can over the course of about two weeks (purchased at Brewery) felt it was already fading. One for drinking young. Bought in 4 x 16 oz. can.

Blue Mountain Brewery ‘Full Nelson’ Virginia Pale Ale
Refreshing after a 5 hour drive. Moderate bitterness, and clean malty flavor. Easy to drink, though not remotely complex.
DC90834F-6A4E-4D89-BAB5-34F2F98EC09F.jpeg

Hill farmstead double citra: classic HF ipa. Pillow soft palate loaded with Tropical fruit. Delicious

The photo of our Saturday night beers.
Beer.gif

Bought a Sierra Nevada “Winter Pack” today. With carne asada tacos: Sierra Nevada Holiday Haze IPA, which was delicious. Cloudy, yellow color. It almost looks like a Blue Moon. Bright, fresh body but big hoppy finish. Not too fruity.

And now, with Ben and Jerry’s version of a Klondike bar (filled with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream) which was a tremendous idea by someone at that company: Sierra Nevada Coffee Stout, which is also delicious. I like this better than the Firestone the other night. This is more coffee, more body, more better.

Brig, tell me where to send $$. I’m matching your donations for my notes.

Anchor coffee porter
Brewed with four barrel flash-chilled coffee. Inky black, quickly disappearing head. Chocolaty nose, palate bracing bitterness carrying through to finish. Balances a rich breakfast meal well, but overall felt a little imbalanced with the bitterness to me. the Monkish coffee carl stout (non-lactose version) felt more balanced/easy to drink, to me.

Blue Apron ale. brewed by Brooklyn Brewery, for Thomas Keller’s restaurants. Tasted at Ad Hoc, was my favorite of all the “apron” ales that they had, and I asked the bartender if I could buy a bottle to bring home to remember our visit. from back label, 100% bottle re-fermented, 7.2% abv.
Dark brown, slightly cloudy. Thick head. Nose strong hint of baking spices — cinnamon, clove, with malty richness. Flavors carry over to palate with orange rind/bright acidity, smooth finish. Very nice, still one of the best brown ales I’ve had recently. Goes well with food, think it’d be great with fried chicken and waffles (per J).

Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien Special 20th Anniversary Edition Aged in Bordeaux Grand Cru Oak Barrels (interwebs say Chateau Latour barrels): Appetizing, tangy/acetic (but not overwhelmingly so), caramel/malt, barrel and vinous aromas, with nice general complexity and interest. Similar flavors, some malty sweetness and a good dose of tart, tangy acidity, well balanced and tasty. It’d been a while since I’ve had the regular Bon-Chien or any other special edition, and from those foggy memories I can’t discern how this is different… but in any case, a delicious and interesting beer!

This beer was excellent.

We’re at 33 notes right now. , FMIII has a couple to add from last night’s Indian extravaganza.

Let’s call it 35 notes @ $5 is $175 plus Kyle is matching so $350 grand total.

I’ll ping Carlos for the desired charity.

• NV BarrelHouse Brewing Company Chenin Blonde Sour Batch 1502 - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (12/21/2017)
    Very sour aromas blasting from the glass and pucker up on the palate with more tart, sour lemon and floral/herb notes. A really long finish, bonus for this aspect as it allows you to ponder. As I was “pondering” I looked at FMIII and said “This almost has a wine quality to the mouthfeel and even taste a bit like it.” He says “Yeah, that’s because it make with Chenin Blanc”. Oh…

Posted from CellarTracker

Brig, you big stud, thanks for taking this week and the donation you’re making. Good work, man.

From last night, here are my 2 notes. I admit that I have yet to develop a comfort/confidence with beer TNs. I am trying.

• NV BarrelHouse Brewing Company Chenin Blonde Sour Batch 1502 - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (12/21/2017)
    This is my 3rd bottle so far of 6. I appreciate this beer, as it has a presence, it says something more to me than pine needle and alcohol. Instead, it has the cloudy, blonde like color and the refreshing acidity/sour profile and the kiss of chenin that is in the beer. Slick and crisp, continue to enjoy this.
  • NV Coronado Brewing Guava Islander India Pale Ale - USA, California, South Coast, San Diego County (12/21/2017)
    There is some pine needle here, but it doesn’t whack the aromatics, which I appreciate. I found some jasmine-like floral in the aromatic, too. Can taste the core of green tropical fruit and it fits nicely into the overall expression of the beer. I enjoyed this.

Posted from CellarTracker

Okay paid up and I did it in Spanish :slight_smile:
Capture+_2017-12-21-16-51-34.png