Week 3 (12/5 - 12/12) Virtual Tasting Series for Charity - Riesling for Dakin Humane Society

I really enjoy Selbach-Oster Kabinetts, and so rightly priced!

We had three rieslings last night for dinner and I will post notes on all of them, but I’m tired so I’ll go with this as a starter and more, with photos, later.

• 2015 Dönnhoff Dellchen Riesling GG - Germany, Nahe (12/5/2018)
    Popped and poured at Pings in Chinatown with friends. Although this is a GG with 13%-ish (I forget exactly) ABV and fully vinified with no RS, there is some apparent sugar because of the fruit based profile. Apricots, pineapple, white pear and guava, in the order of intensity. Very smooth and easy to drink. Light on the acidity, which helps give the appearance of sweetness despite the lack of actual sugar. Well made, balanced and an excellent wine. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I volunteer with tastings downtown and we had the store Christmas party last Sunday! With a lightly spiced gumbo, the 2017 Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spatlese was sheer delight. Rich pedigree, terrific length. Light straw in color with a floral mint(?) nose. Good acidity, lime and honey and hints of peach. Nicely shared by the nine sitting down for dinner.

You beat me to the punch Bob. I have not yet had any 2017 Willi Schaefer wines.

I found a leaking bottle of '03 Christoffel Auslese, and thought it’d be a good time to open it… I had not had much luck with the 4 bottles I bought on auction, with 2 of the previous 3 having been corked. I was not entirely surprised to find this bottle was corked as well.

**2003 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese ***** - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/6/2018)
This bottle was showing signs of seepage so decided to open it. Ack, corked. That makes 3 out of 4 bottles. Cardboard, underripe banana, and mushrooms. What a disappointment. NR (flawed)

So… I took a cue from Brig and also decided to open a Paetra K. Definitely nice for the price!

2016 Paetra Riesling “K” - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/6/2018)
Nice hint of petrol, loads of crushed rock, lime, lime zest leading to a bit of white peach. Just a hint of sweetness. Just lacking a bit of focus and concentration, but otherwise a lovely mineral driven Riesling. (88 pts.)

At a Chanukah dinner with family and friends, first the 2011 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Spätlese, an explosion of fruit, actually like drinking fruit, tasted sweeter than the Auslese that followed, but with enough acidity to not be cloying. While I’m sure this will age, I’m not sure I will like it any more than now. After dinner, the 2003 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese **, a bit drier than the Schafer-Frohlich, but with more depth, decent acidity, I imagine bottles will continue to improve, or at least hold their own, for quite a while.
Chanukah.jpg
Two Rieslings.jpg

Glad to hear your bottle of Christoffel was a good one!

I bought a bunch of 2003’s from Premier Cru and have had not problems. Sorry you had a different result.

Tonight’s Riesling:

• 2002 C. H. Berres Kinheimer Hubertuslay Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/7/2018)
    Still fairly young and fresh, with clear light yellow color, it isn’t that complex, but is very pleasant offering green apple with a twist of lime and a mouth-watering tangy finish. (88 pts.)

1998 Nigl Riesling Privat - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal (12/7/2018)
It’s been a while since a wine stopped me in my tracks. It happened tonight with the 1998 Nigl Riesling Privat. From a forgotten vintage between the heralded 1997 and 1999, this is as complex a Riesling as I have ever tasted. My first sip caused me to do a double take, as I was immediately reminded of the 1990 Trimbach CFE Vendange Tardive.

When a wine evokes a taste memory I know I am experiencing something special. It’s an amazing wine. I have no more bottles, but I do have a new memory. This is why I love wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note. The 1998 Gruner Senftenberger Piri Privat is drinking quite well now as well. I’ve been very happy with my 1998 Austrians, but it helps that I don’t mind botrytis in my dry whites.

Coincidentally, I brought home from offsite storage what my CT inventory showed was a 2000 Gruner Privat and just discovered that it is the Riesling. I need some QA help with my CT data entry, as that is the second significant incorrect entry I’ve found this week. I discovered the other when I opened a box showing 4 bottles of 1998 Roumier CM Les Cras and discovered that they were actually Bonnes Mares.

Happy mistakes though.

2005 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese - Cork completely saturated with some mold formed under the capsule but no signs that it had any impact. Still a baby. White peaches, minerals and just a hint of petrol on what is still a pretty closed and austere nose. Much more generous on the palate with lovely sweet peach and pear fruit with a nice spicy ginger note and plenty of balancing acidity. If I weren’t worried about the corks, I would let the rest of my bottles sleep for at least another decade. I think I paid $35 for these on release - is there a better bargain in the wine world!

Don’t worry about the corks.

Another Riesling from yesterday:

2000 Nikolaihof Riesling Federspiel Vom Stein - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (12/8/2018)
I wasn’t sure what to expect from an 18 year old federspiel, but what we got was a thing of beauty. Apricots and slate with a touch of petrol and a tangy finish, it combines richness and precision well and is hard to stop drinking. (92 pts.)

(hopefully in time)

2016 Pfeffingen Herrenberg Riesling GG

Quite dark when poured and unusual at about 13% listed. No experience with this house or plot ( I’m in my German Riesling infancy), but this presented as a forthright, tasty and ripe-ish yellow-fruited wine, but with not a lot of complexity backup behind it. Have no idea about ageability but would recommend slightly spicy Thai food to pair with this. Fine, just not anything more than that.

Cheers,

Mike

Very happy to see you had the chance for an experience like this, David. [dance-clap.gif] Hopefully more to come for you.

Mike

Opened a 2008 Trimbach Cuvee Emile and a 2014 Schaefer-Froelich 2014 Felseneck GG. The Emile was very food friendly and had a massive nose of petrol, though I’ve always found it a bit lacking in the midpalate. The Felseneck was opened too young, but I really liked it - had some lovely fruit on the palate and paired really well with the sushi without overpowering it in any way.

2012 JJ Prum graacher himmelreich kabinett.
Not a lot of detailed notes. Pop and pour, sweet tropical fruit, lovely acidity, delicious. Forgot to take photo. #sad

Mine was as well, Vince. From October of this year:

"2003 Christoffel Urziger Wurtzgarten Ries Auslese

I only had a very small sip of this, but that was enough to make me smile. Apple pie, but with the juice still drizzling out, this wins kudos for how bright and expressive it is over top of the sugar. Still a lovely freshness here, a very good bottling."