WEEK 1--WB Virtual Tasting For Charity--Pinot Noir, Benefiting Laura's House

Opened a 2009 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge Vineyard last night . . . this is in a great place. The nose has some raspberry and spice but the palate is all cranberry with a touch of citrus (orange?) to me. Great mouthfeel and a long finish. Really enjoyed this one.

Thanks Frank for all you do.

1997 Talley Rosemary’s Pinot Noir. Still a rather dark purple color, with slight bricking at the edges. Lots of dark cherry and a bit of cake spice throughout. Excellent midpalate acidity, and still a moderate amount of fine tannins. With additional aeration, a bit of soy and porcini emerge. Holding up beautifully, and pretty much at peak maturity for me; not sure if it will get “better” with more cellar time. A Bruce L. “wow.”

Bruce
talley 1a.jpg

Thinking back it was 13 years ago that I first met Brian Loring. My tastes may have gone more AFWE lately, but I always enjoy drinking one of Brian’s wines. The 2014 Loring Garys’ Vineyard Pinot is no exception to that. Bright fruit nicely framed by its acidity and tannin is complemented by the wood. This is very approachable and enjoyable right now.
image.jpg

image.jpeg
2009 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Diane’s Block purchased on Berserkers Day in 2013.

On pop and pour, the nose is cherry and assorted tart red fruit. Palate is deep red fruit with intense spice on the mid palate and finish and a bite throughout. After limited air, the bite goes away on the front end and mid palate. The spice on the finish is long and tongue coating. After 30 minutes, the red fruit is more fresh and lively with an intriguing spice on the finish.

I hope the picture works as it was the first time I have tried to post a picture.

Just for you, FMIII. A pinot for charity coupled with a little pic of your favorite winery! I saved you, and the board, from the misery of seeing my ugly mug right now, it’s been a rough day. No shower, no shave, just got done with a power-walk with the spouse, hat head in full glory. Still a bit hurting from the party last night. You can see my pretty face in the thread I posted earler today on the 2010 Ovid. This combination of photos is certainly worth at least $7.50.

2010 Maison Roche de Bellene Beaune Les Greves 1er Cru

Serve it blind and I think a Morgon or Moulin a Vent from 2011. Pretty aromas of spicey red raspberries, pepper and wet earth. Smokey as well. Very tight, high acid, soil and minerals. Very pretty wine. (91 pts.)

Took a look at a couple of 2012 California Pinots that I have enjoyed in the past. Interesting contrast between two highly aromatic, stylistically different Pinots that defy their color. The Wilde Farm Anderson Valley at 12.7abv and the Holdredge RRV at 14.8%. In the end I found the Wide Farm more food friendly with the Holdredge a good cocktail wine.

Thanks for doing this Frankie, you’re a good man brother!

Oh, and Alfert, that’s a weak excuse for no picture. I was out all day burning brush with a hat on and still managed a photo before showering. neener

• 2012 Wilde Farm Wines Pinot Noir Donnelly Creek Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/22/2015)
    Dark ruby red. Nose of strawberry, red cherry, barnyard and wet pooch. Aromatically pleasing and savory. Red fruited, light viscosity/light fruit defies the color with loads of fine grained tannins. I really enjoy the acidity which allows the finish to linger on and on with tart red fruit. Tannins need time to integrate so my next look may be 3-5 years down the road. Really nice though.
  • 2012 Holdredge Pinot Noir “Shaken Not Stirred” - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/22/2015)
    Light ruby red, much lighter color than the Wilde Farm. Aromatics here are forest floor, wild mushrooms and black cherry. The black cherry dominates the palate which is soft and a touch oily with a spicy edge. The alcohol shows in the texture but the wine remains well balanced. More black cherry with acidity hitting late on the peppery finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2010 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/22/2015)
    Pop and pour. “Classic” modern California pinot with a fruit forward profile. Add to that a meaty fully-filled profile and this is an outstanding pinot. No negative components and it goes down very smoothly. Five years has allowed it to shed its roughness of youth. Probably has a decade or two to go. Still very primary. (92 pts.)

Just got these in last week and decided to open one for the sake of charity. Very bright red fruit on the nose: cherry and cranberry notes dominate. Secondary is some spices and woody notes that I associate with the stems (have to look but I believe this is 100% whole cluster). The palate is lighter, but that is what I expect from Kutch as it is a more restrained style. The acidity really jumps out and causes the mout to water, but just enough fruit hangs off of the acidity to keep things in balance. Low tannins. Great value that punches above its weight. Would easily fit in with many single vineyard wines coming out of Napa.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Someone else brought this - don’t blame me.

• 2013 Meiomi Pinot Noir - USA, California (11/22/2015)
    Unscrewed and poured with no decant. This is not a bad wine and may have a nega tive reputation that is undeserved. Is it a great Cali pinot? No. Is it a bad wine? No, not that either. It is a solidly made with the flavor of a modern Cali pinot but it just has too many holes. The nose is very light, almost non-existent, but not bad. The palate has that Cali pinot thing (cola?) and a bit too much oak but it’s drinkable, recognizable and none of the annoying bitterness or major palate holes that you get with cheapos and poorly made bulk wines. (86 pts.)

Photos to follow.

Silliness in the pursuit of donations. Meiomi and Kosta Browne:

• 2007 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/22/2015)
    I love this wine. You can’t be afraid of the stem inclusion, might be 110%, but I really enjoy it. Not a good wine, a great wine.

Frank the Selfies are a fantastic add to the posts!!!

Two from the weekend…spaced the photos; will remedy tonight

2004 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Seven Springs Vineyard
Medium ruby-red color with plenty of transparency and some thinning at the edges. Very pretty nose in the red fruit spectrum with strawberry and raspberry being the two that most came to mind. Palate has a distinct brown sugar note that I associate with 2004 from Oregon in general. It’s distracting here, but not to the point of being a total bummer. Other (funner) things going on include that strawberry-raspberry red fruit, some rhubarb notes, and some floral characteristics. Finish is medium and overall I liked this one. I don’t know where that brown sugar thing goes, but I’m prioritizing 2004s for consumption sooner than later (and I keep things way too long in general).

2012 Rhys San Mateo Pinot Noir
Should have decanted, but didn’t. Dark red color with some transparency. Almost punch-like nose of blackberry, pomegranate, raspberry, and cherry. Palate has all of that, some floral spice notes and a finish that suggests things are shutting down. I really like where the 2006 ended up going and expect this to go there too. For now, stick to the 2013 (which is drinking excellently). This one seems to be shutting down to my tastes. Still, the entire bottle almost got consumed with dinner. Delicious, but sense there’s a better day to come for my tastes.

Cheers,
fred

2005 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/23/2015)
I normally would have opened and drank this much earlier, but it wasn’t in my inventory. Oops.

Well it turns out everything is just fine. There is still a notable amount of red fruit, and it is complemented by earthy, herbal and piney notes that make for a very complex drink. There is not much in the way of tannin, but the acidity is solid, so there is good overall structure. Overall though it is lovely to drink a 10 year old appellation level Pinot Noir from the Russian River Valley, and find it to be full of life and notably complex.

Sorry, no photo tonight.

• 2013 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (11/23/2015)
    Pretty nose of bright red cherries, spring flowers and anise. Precise and focused this one shows some great mid-palate. Palate shows the deeply layered red cherries, raspberries and cranberries. . Balance is quite nice and the QPR strength of this one is huge. Finish long and I just bought…more. (90 pts.)

621d5c66-7eb1-4224-8098-1c76ee1789cd.jpg

Opened tonight. Nose is a little timid from the bottle, just a hint of red fruit. Once poured into the glass it came alive. The first pour still had a little bit of toast in the nose, but by the third pour, it was replaced by full blown Burgundy Sous-bois. Lovely. Mid to dark colored, good acid level and finish. A wonderful wine for the price

I hope 50% Pinot counts …

N.V. Roger Pouillon et Fils Champagne Brut Soléra

I am a big fan of this wine. It is probably not a producer that many people know, but they should. The wine is 50/50 Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. The wine is produced from a solera. The current assemblage ranges from 1997-2010. Every year 30% is racked off for secondary fermentation; it is aged sur latte prior to disgorgement at which point 30% new wine is added. Zero oak, full malolactic.

Ok, enough facts. The nose is dense with lots of tart Apple and pear notes. There are also oxidative notes and bready yeasty notes. Very satisfying and great with fried chicken. I think that the Krug Grande Cuvée is a good comparison.

Great bottle that you should definitely seek out for the holidays.
image.jpeg

2007 Copain Tous Ensemble Pinot Noir - earthy, black cherry on the nose, palate is a little fat and monolithic with black cherry/cranberry flavors and a slightly bitter, medicinal note on the finish. Probably waited a little too long for my tastes to open this one.

Jimmy is in 2X, Paul H is now in, you have Mike P with Loring on his head. I love it all, keep posting. (BTW, I know what Paul Hiyake looks like and he is a handsome dude).

Thank you all, keep posting and supporting the charity. I figure by now, rough count with the matching donors, that we are around $650-700 raised. Keep at it.

I have a lovely 2014 Kutch McDougall open (just great depth and saturation with this vintage of 'Doug, BTW). Great to drink Pinot Noir.

A year ago a fellow Berserker was nice enough to share his Thomas allocation with me, with the stipulation that I crack one of them relatively quickly and post a tasting note. So - better late than never?

• 2012 Thomas Pinot Noir Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (11/23/2015)
    Opened/decanted for 2 hours before consuming. Red fruits with a little loamy funk on the nose. Tangy, high acid, with mostly red fruits on the palate. First impression is of medium weight, but swishing around the mouth reveals underlying intensity, with slight drying. Picks up a light cherry kirsch note after sitting in the glass. The high acidity works best with food. Acid a little less prominent the second night with some darker fruits showing up. Lots of potential but give it time - I’m not planning to open another bottle for ~5 years.

2012 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (11/23/2015)
Very inviting nose of fresh red berries, cinnamon, and purple flowers. The palate is highly acidic at this point making it feel like slightly underripe berries. Food would help and my very first impression was “wow here it comes” but it stopped just shy of filling the palate with perfectly ripe fruit. I get the sense that it will happen sooner rather than later…will try again within a year.