Week 1 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House

2015 David Bruce Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

David Bruce (a reversal of my first and middle names) was the first “real” wine I ever had some years back.

Don’t really know how to taste wine nor describe a wine but the wine was really good when first sipped and I liked the finish as well. Not too fruity , not too hot , and not heavy on the tannins. Just an enjoyable bottle of wine-pleased the non-Pinot fan in our group.

2010 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - delicious! Flavors of tart red fruit and spice - definitely can tell that stems were included. Silky mouthfeel and for me, this has entered its prime drinking window as everything is in balance and has come together beautifully.

Forgot to take a picture last night but here is the empty bottle. Thank you Frank for your dedication and generosity!
rhys_alpine_2010.jpg

2013 Cabot Nash Pinot Noir. I’ve always been a fan of Cabot pinots. The 2013 is full of bright red fruit flavors and aromas. With time secondary sous bouis adds complexity and texture. Wonderful wine. Cheers.

• 2015 Lyric by Etude Pinot Noir - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (11/18/2018)
    This is the only sub $20 Pinot I’ll buy and on sale for around $16. Going to a party with beer drinkers? Bring this and you won’t have to rip the kitchen apart looking for a broken corkscrew as it’s a twist off. Dark maroon color with a smoke note. Rich dark fruit and medium plus weight. Fruit forward and flavorful. Hey, it works.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sherri, in a space dominated by men, thanks for asserting yourself to be here, to be visible as a woman. Bravo.

+1. Got one on deck for tonight

2013 Rhys Pinot Noir San Mateo County - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (11/18/2018)
Would it be uncool to say that this is my favorite Rhys wine? It’s not because it’s the best, but rather because it’s a fine example of the style, while showing more nuance and ultimately pleasure in an earlier drinking window. Fully integrated, red fruit dominated and showing just a hint of sneaky back end tannin, this is about as fun to drink as you can get. The balance indicates plenty of time to spare, but I have a hard time keeping my hands off of these.

2013 Robert Stemmler Lawler Vineyard Carneros Pinot Noir. A little on the sweet side . And not digging the finish -a bit harsh. I only had a couple of sips. But ok for the $20 or so I paid for it. Good enough for my wife to be buzzed on a football Sunday and pose for the picture .
IMG_5903.JPG

I will jump in and add a note and photo. With all this talk about Walter Scott wines on this board, I decided to open a new arrival to the collection.

2017 Walter Scott Pinot Noir La Combe Verte - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/18/2018)
Pop and pour and initially tasted on its own. later paired with food (pho ga, in case you were wondering).
Garnet color. Clear.
Nose of red cherries, some orange peel and a slight smoky note.
Flavors show that red cherry fruit, white pepper on the mid-palate, and a zesty level of acidity. That orange peel note follows on the finish. At this stage, this is a fresh and lively wine. The acidity provides an inviting freshness to the wine but there is sufficient fruit to suggest this will improve with some time in bottle. Enjoyable.
WalterScott.2017.jpg

I need a ruling. Searching Cellartracker, I note that I have one bottle of 2004 Alcina Pinot Noir Sangiacomo. The closures on these wines failed long ago and the last bottle I had of this (in 2014) generated this note:

• 2004 Alcina Cellars Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/23/2014)
    Completely brown and oxidized. This appears to be an endemic problem due to the synthetic corks. BE WARNED. These may all be undrinkable. NR (flawed)

Every note in CT says the wine is flawed. If I open a bottle, legitimately taste it to verify that it is undrinkable, and post a note, does it qualify?

2015 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir San Mateo

A very nice wine, but could benefit from a year or two in bottle. Red fruited with a bit of a xmas spice kick (not overly though). Restrained, but definitely from California. May not be as complex as the Rhys single vineyard wines, but a good QPR for California Pinot.

This is 2012 Alesia Pinot Noir, Alder Springs Vineyard, trust me on this.

This is the first time I’ve ever tried to take a picture of myself (Sally is watching something on TV, did not want to bother her).

The indignities we endure to help others! [snort.gif]

Dan Kravitz
2012 Alesia Pinot Noir, Alder Springs Vineyard.jpg

2011 Fogline Vineyards Pinot Noir, Sun Chase Vineyard - on first taste, this was all about bright red fruit, with a slight tea note on the finish. Lighter bodied but with lots of flavor, this just glides down the palate. With a little air, the fruit turns a little dark (maybe a little more black cherry than red cherry), and the tea note turns into a little funkier, mushroomy note.

I need a second ruling. We will be having this as a starter tomorrow. Does it qualify?

2013 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Shaman 13
5/15/2018 - FRANK MURRAY III WROTE:
Disgorged 10/2017, with no dosage. 76% PN and 24% Chard. The PN is evident here, giving a cool black cherry quality along with lime, light honey, a creamy presence and the same delicious chalk that I enjoy in these wines. What I find fascinating about Benoit’s wines is that you have to leave any bias aside, as to think these are zero dosage and they will be lean and piercing is very far from the truth. This wines, many of his wines, show a purity of fruit and ripe presence that would seem counter-intuitive. These just drink with such a great purity and texture.

2014 Inman Family Pinot Noir Olivet Grange Vineyard - lovely nose of spicy cranberry, cinnamon and oregano. Still pretty tightly coiled and a little tart on the palate with dark cherry and ample acidity. I think some more bottle time will benefit this wine. Thanks again for your generosity Frank!

2012 Rhys San Mateo Pinot Noir from a 500ML (hat tip Kevin Harvey for a perfect size bottle for me). This wine is in a beautiful place. beautiful old world balance with new world depth of fruit. Roses, berries and a vibrancy that keeps it fresh. 92 points

Tasting note to follow LOL
IMG_7286.jpg

We had a wonderful evening at Posana in Asheville with Mr. Brunson, his lovely HRH, my sweet Dr C, and another couple. The OR pinots paired very well with the duck breast and pork shoulder. Both were very good, but different due to winemaker styles but also the cool vs warm vintage. We also had a Goodfellow chard with the apps.

OK Frank. I’m back in the country and willing to help out. Here’s the first of a few choice Pinots over the next few days:

2016 Gypsy Dancer Estates Bayliss-Bower Vineyard Willamette Valley Pinot Noir- made from a single clone, Wadenswil, and fermented with 100% whole cluster, this single vineyard wine gave many treasures in its infancy; decanted an hour before pouring, it still took some time for it to open up as it progressed through stages until it really shined; in the nose was cinnamon, spice and clove along with dark fruit, but on the palate, the fruit profile changed into sweet red cherry with a touch of talc and later on a hint of coffee; it had mild but noticeable traces of its underlying tannic background which should ensure longevity; very good now and expected to be stellar.

I`ve reviewed wines from this producer previously as they got my attention during a visit to the region in 2005. The owner/ winemaker at that time was Gary Andrus formerly founder of Archery Summit {1993} and Pine Ridge {1978} and olympic downhill skiing fame. Gary passed away at a way too early age of 63 in 2010. HIs wife, Christine, has resurrected the label and with help from many who Gary mentored, has produced some fine Pinots in the last few years.

Gary considered his 2006 Bayliss Vineyard Pinot to be the best wine he ever made and I had the good fortune to have drunk many a bottle with fond memories.

Cheers,
Blake

fullsizeoutput_2091.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_208f.jpeg

2014 Le Grappin Savigny Les Beaune

the fruit is from the Aux Fourneaux vineyard. I met Andrew Nielsen way back in 2011 and was delighted this found its way to the LCBO shelves. Fantastic minty, herby raspberry and lingonberry nose gives way to a super-crisp mouth of tart red berry and whisks of earth and mineral. Everything I’d think about Savigny in terms of terroir is here. Splendid wine.

2013 Kutch McDougall Pinot Noir

half of the bottle was left after 4 days on a re-try. Wow is all I can say. This is like pinot liqueur, in terms of how pure and concentrated it is. Truly evocative wild strawberry and cherry notes and still with the nip of citrus that I love to see in Jamie’s McDougall. I need to backfill more of these, just a humming bottle of wine. Licklicious for sure.