Wedding Wine Thoughts?

I love everything about this post (Congrats!!!), and I cannot improve on the list. The selections are incredibly thoughtful, but also wide-ranging and probably laden with memories for you and the other guests. Serge would be jealous :slight_smile:

+1 This is a wonderful remark! Very well said!

Congratulation Kirk!!!

@David - You’re right, there are always twists & turns in any event. I’m confident I know the tastes of everyone there with the exception of my brother and his wife. They rarely drink…and when they do what they seem to like is all over the place. Given how small this is, Erica thought it would be nice to create a little personalized program describing the wine/style & making recommendations of wines that I expect they’ll like. Some are adventurous and will try a little of everything. Some will stick to one wine for the entire dinner. I’m not one for big, loud, and long events…this will be short by all accounts. I expect the ceremony & dinner with time to mingle before or after to be about 3-4 hours long. Then we’ll head off to the Air BnB with the wedding party for a smaller gathering.

@Rajiv - Thank you…It seemed like a good call given that there are enough that will enjoy it. I keep thinking back to meeting him and his response, “Hopefully I didn’t answer your question.” What a man…a sad loss for the wine world.

Thank you Sir!

My thoughts are to get rid of the 7 non-drinkers and have an even smaller wedding.

Kirk, two things…and forgive me for question 1, but is your fiancée the same girl we met at the offline at Tribeca Grille many years ago?

Second, what’s the date?

champagne.gif champagne.gif [berserker.gif]

Congratulations, Kirk. Best of luck to you both. I’d be very excited if someone wanted to serve me Musar at their wedding.

No worries…ask away. No, I’ve been dating Erica for about 3 years now. That was a friend that was a sous chef at Joel Robuchon. A friend of a friend basically. We haven’t secured a date yet…we’re thinking fall. We’ll need more time to figure out some of the “must-have’s”.

so slave2thevine is getting married … [cheers.gif]

congratulations!!!

Wow…it’s been a minute since I saw that. [cheers.gif]

I strongly recommend the approach my son and his bride hose, and not just for the wine. Everyone at one table. Everyone could take to everyone else. Much less stress with invitations and table assignments and the like. WAY LESS COST.

We had ten people including the bride and groom, which was my son’s concession to not eloping so his grandmother could come. Luncheon after the wedding at X2O, a Peter Kelly restaurant in Yonkers. They did a great job and it was so cheap that I thought my wife left off an entire DIGIT when she told me the per person cost. We served choice of 2002 Dom Perignon or 1999 Pol Roger Churchill; followed by a flight of SQN And an Eight Track and Aubert Lauren; followed by a flight of Saxum James Berry Vineyard and Schrader RBS. We never bothered to open the late harvest Riesling we brought for dessert. My son and daughter in law loved the wines and when most people drank the DP, I recorked the Pol Roger and gave it to him for his wedding night. The following day, he showed up at my house and said “Hey dad, you know that champagne you gave us? It was real good.” For my son, that’s like giving a wine 105 points.

Small weddings, rehearsal dinners, family Thanksgiving etc is the time to go for large formats. You can serve something great, but it doesn’t get as geeky as it would with 15 different wines, so the wine is an element rather than threatening to take over and bore the non wine drinker.

My last large bottle for a non wine event was a double magnum of Haut Bailly 2008. It was perfect.

Kirk, congratulations! Sounds like you’ve got it nicely figured out. Will have to try that blueberry wine. Wish you both the best.